Dollar General or Family Dollar

Discussion in Stores Reviews, Comments & Complaints started by Emmas_Nana • Jun 4, 2012.

1. Emmas_Nana

Emmas_NanaNew Member

Threads:
    Do you prefer to shop at Dollar General or at Family Dollar? I prefer Family Dollar. I feel that Family Dollar has a better selection of clothing and other things I shop for. I also believe that there prices are a little cheaper than Dollar General. What's your opinion?

2. Some1else0

Some1else0Member

Threads:
    My Dollar General has some of the meanest staff you'll ever find, and they're so unorganized. The Family Dollar close by is much better. Store is kept clean, everything's organized, friendly staff, and low prices, just the way I like it :).

3. btatro

btatroActive Member

Threads:
    I guess I don't go to either. What I usually find is that even though they are cheaper, their sizes are also smaller or the brands are not comparable to what I would usually buy.

4. Lena51

Lena51Active Member

Threads:
    I've never went to either one of these because they don't have them in our area as far as I know. I would like to go there to see what they have and buy a few things to compare. I always go to Dollar Tree which is a very good place to shop and sometime I stop by .99 only store and they have a lot of good things to buy also.

5. Adeal4u

Adeal4uActive Member

Threads:
    Family Dollar is cleaner in my opinion. The Dollar General looks like a tornado hit it, because there's clothes all over the floor. I know all stores aren't like this, but the local one by my house is messy. Family Dollar is my first choice and if they don't have what I'm looking for I go to the Dollar General.

6. clewand550

clewand550Active Member

Threads:
    I prefer Family Dollar. The Dollar General here isn't very nice compared the our Family Dollar. I never find anything at the Dollar General but I can find a lot at the Family Dollar.

7. Farrah

FarrahActive Member

Threads:
    I have a Dollar General across the street from me. I end up going there 2 or 3 times a day. I know it sounds crazy but even if I am bored I walk over and see what I need sometimes. SOme things there I buy because I can't get a better deal other times its the convenience. SOme things I won't buy there, like milk. Every time I buy milk there it goes bad the next day.

8. SarahLizzie

SarahLizzieActive Member

Threads:
    I do not like the staff at the local Family Dollar here. They are so rude, and they do leave the store dirty all the time. Anything I purchased there in the past smelled so bad, I ended up just tossing it in the trash.

The Dollar General though has an extremely friendly, and helpful staff. The store is always running sales, and clearances on items I buy the most. Plus, Dollar General is right across the street from house, so I end up making daily trips there for things I need such as milk or diapers. The women that work there have gotten to know my children and me, so if they see something they know I will buy, and it is on clearance; they always put one aside for me if they think it is going to sell fast. Or they will tell me to wait until tomorrow to purchase the item when the sale on it starts.

9. Adeal4u

Adeal4uActive Member

Threads:
    Wow, it sounds like the Dollar General in your area is pretty good. Would you like to switch places with me, because you should see this one where I live? If the Dollar General kept it in good shape, I wouldn't mind going in there to shop. It's difficult to choose which store is better because every store is different. I just feel more comfortable shopping at the Family Dollar.

10. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    Dollar General. I really don't like Family Dollar and even though a lot of the items are the same or similar, it seems to be lower quality...or higher priced, depending on the item. I don't go to either for very many things, but I'll choose Dollar General every time if I have the choice.

11. Esperahol

EsperaholActive Member

Threads:
    They're about equal over this way, so I guess it's a tie. Overall the stores are large and the selection if fairly good. I don't always agree with the pricing, but the deals are sometimes quite nice and in the case of an emergency they certainly can't be beaten.

12. kittykarina

kittykarinaActive Member

Threads:
    I've never though about which one I prefer. We have tons of both stores all in my town. The ones closest to my house are like a block away from each other. If I can't find something at one, I'll drive to the other. I never have problems with staff being mean.

13. classy_ally

classy_allyMember

Threads:
    I love Dollar General more. I think their stores are more organized and better deals. I am forced to use Family Dollar because it is closer to my house. But my first choice is always Dollar General. I do like the fact that both accept manufacturer coupons now. That helps a lot.

14. Waynefire

WaynefireActive Member

Threads:
    I think we have one Dollar General close to us and about 5 Family Dollars. So when I go to these stores it is usually the Family Dollar. Not only that the Family Dollar near me ends up having great deals and coupons for me to use all the time.

15. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't go to either of them often. I do like the Family Dollar more than the Dollar General. Family Dollar has nice home decor items at a good price.

16. dashboardc33

dashboardc33Active Member

Threads:
    We have something called the Dollar Tree here and I like that the best. Their store is really big and they have a really big selection from arts and crafts, kitchen supplies, food, stationary, toys, etc. If I had to choose between Dollar General and Family Dollar I would choose Family Dollar because I am more familiar with the store and I know what to expect.

17. joe128139

joe128139New Member

Threads:
    Dollar General tends to be the more prominent store in Orlando. I've been to a few Family Dollars but was not overly impressed with the selections. I tend to just go there for candy before a movie anyways, the other stuff doesn't really hold my interest.

18. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't have a Dollar General nearby, just a Family Dollar. I like the Family Dollar here. I was surprised to find a lot of useful kitchen stuff and cleaning supplies that work. Again, you have to know what things cost at stores normally to tell whether it's a deal or not. Like I found their ramen overpriced. You should not be paying 60 cents for Maruchan Instant Lunch when they are 3 for $1 everywhere else.

19. Parker

ParkerWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I prefer Family Dollar. There isn't a Family Dollar in Los Angeles. I used to shop at Family Dollar when I lived in Las Vegas. I liked it more than the Dollar Tree and the 99 Cent Only.

20. jovan107

jovan107Active Member

Threads:
    I love both of these stores, any store that offers a bargain is a store where I frequent. I purchase most of my household cleaning supplies from Dollar General and I purchase most of my decorative accessories for my home from Family Dollar. I think both stores have a excellent selection of products.