Dollar General

Discussion in Stores Reviews, Comments & Complaints started by SarahLizzie • Apr 18, 2012.

1. SarahLizzie

SarahLizzieActive Member

Threads:
    I frequent the Dollar General, which for anyone who does not know have one in their country or state, it is similar to a dollar store. It carries a little bit of everything. Typically prices on the item I purchase range from 50 cents to ten dollar maximum. Finding cold medicines, milk, a few little grocery items, diapers, wipes, laundry detergent, and cleaning supplies are the main reasons I frequent the store. However, every time I buy an umbrella there, granted they are either $3 or $5 depending on the size, it breaks as soon as I open it. I can walk outside the store and immediately after my purchase open the umbrella, then when its broken upon opening up I have tried going back in to exchange the item. However, they are not very helpful with broken and damaged items they do carry.

As much as I love dollar general, and you get what you pay for. Be careful what you purchase at these stores.

2. daisiesndots

daisiesndotsMember

Threads:
    I like to go to the Dollar General. There are some items there that I would buy and some that I would not. That is really unfortunate that they do not care to replace the items that they carry that break easily or are already damaged. I usually go there for something that I need and cannot wait to go to Walmart that is 20 mins away. I usually run in there to get cleaning supplies, dog food, laundry soap and such. I'm famous for forgetting gift wrap and cards so I always find myself running in there on my way to a party to buy some.

3. Anna T

Anna TMember

Threads:
    I have never gotten anything defective from there and had to deal with them on that, but I do like them overall. I like how they are always very conveniently located. The Dollar General makes sure to open their stores up in areas that don't have much else. I go there a lot when I need just a few things because they are far cheaper than the nearest convenience store to me.

4. BonnyC

BonnyCActive Member

Threads:
    Yeah, you can never tell when you're going to get what you pay for. I haven't gotten an umbrella from there, but I have had to deal with returns. It's no fun at all!

5. Christi Harris

Christi HarrisNew Member

Threads:
    I have never have to return anything to Dollar General unless it was too small (curtains). I have never gotten anything defective. I like being able to buy seasonal items on sale. I already have all my Christmas stuff for this year ready. I got almost all of it on sale. The most I paid was $5 for my tree. Everything else was like 10 cents each.

6. racechick79

racechick79Active Member

Threads:
    I have not had any problems with a product being defective, but have realized that it isn't always the quality that you might get elsewhere. I like to go to Dollar General for things that I don't care so much about quality for! I will go there for cost effective party supplies, or sometimes even for a few cheap toys to have on hand as rewards for my child when he does something great. No matter how great the toy is made, it seems that little boys will find a way to break it, so why not make sure that it wasn't an expensive toy to begin with!

7. dconklin

dconklinActive Member

Threads:
    I haven't had to return anything there myself. I don't shop there often tho either. The things that I do buy when I am there are things that it really doesn't matter how cheap you buy them. Like foil baking pans, they are the same no matter where you get them. Sometimes I will get a couple food items while I am there. That stinks tho when you buy something and it is immediately broken.

8. xtina3907

xtina3907Member

Threads:
    I shop at Dollar General pretty often since it's right around the corner from my house. There are some things in there that I can get cheaper at walmart though. Although I love their diapers. I actually like their diapers more than any other brand and I have tried most of them.

9. stefano13

stefano13Member

Threads:
    They sell vegetables fruits trail mix water by the gallon there are pliers hammers screwdriver utility knives.Your just paying for cheap product that will break in a few days. Ive only found one major brand and that was crystal geyser water.

10. trident252

trident252Member

Threads:
    Before we know it, dollar stores like Dollar General will be challenging supermarkets. They are trying their best to be that one stop shop for everything kinda like the old Woolworth stores.

11. Esperahol

EsperaholActive Member

Threads:
    As has been mentioned by others I rarely go there looking for something that will last forever, but even so there has been nothing defective sold me thus far. That said I have known people who have bought something which either quickly broke or was broken to begin with and the folks there were if not the best at least reasonable about the situation.

12. Older Than Mud

Older Than MudNew Member

Threads:
    I shop at Dollar General occasionally, but I have found that their prices are a few cents higher than Wal-Mart on a lot of their items. This troubles me because these kind of stores are advertised as having merchandise at a cheaper price. So far, I haven't bought anything at this store that wasn't of good quality, but I also haven't purchased any umbrellas.

13. Farrah

FarrahActive Member

Threads:
    I love Dollar General. We have one across the street. I really enjoy the $5 coupon. I use that when I am getting some groceries or beauty products. The only thing I don't like is that their milk always goes bad after like 2 days. I take it back, and sometimes they just exchange it, and sometimes they act like they don't know how. But all in all, my Dollar General experience is usually a good one. I mean baby wipes, $1.74 come on......

14. tjshort05

tjshort05Active Member

Threads:
    I have been there a while ago, back when I was living in my hometown. In fact, at the time it was the only "dollar" store there was in my town. When I moved to Florida, I visited a Dollar Tree for the first time and felt so foolish when I asked what the price was on something. Of course I got the blank stare, are you kidding, type of thing. Oh boy. lol But Dollar General had dollar in the name as well and not everything there was $1, so I really didn't know.

There isn't a Dollar General conveniently located to me, so I never go. I do remember finding some things there that were good buys, but now I go to Dollar Tree because it's much closer.

15. pilot2fly

pilot2flyMember

Threads:
    Dollar General is a great place to find low prices. I think the Dollar Tree is better, because everything there is one dollar or less. Dollar General doesn't exactly have everything for one dollar exactly.

16. nash22

nash22Active Member

Threads:
    Well I like Dollar General too, but one time I bought some earphones, as soon as I opened them they broke. They didn't work and the middle rolled out I paid $5 for them. But overall I have bought really expensive earphones and they are the same way. So I guess thats just how things are.

17. clay1224

clay1224Banned

Threads:
    My Dollar General in my town is very bad! All there food is expired, there items are always broken, and the service there is terrible.

18. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    There is a Dollar General just a few blocks from my mom's house, so I got used to stopping by there for quick purchases. You're right about needing to be careful, though. There are some great products there, sure, but there's also some complete crap. Toys also tend to break really easy from there, too.