Dollar Stores

Discussion in Stores Reviews, Comments & Complaints started by dorothymoreno • Feb 1, 2013.

1. dorothymoreno

dorothymorenoActive Member

Threads:
    I love going to the dollar store, the only problem I seem to always have is going in for one thing and coming out with a whole lot more!! I just can't help myself. They seem to always have so many things that i just seem to need or want. The best part of dollar stores is that you can decorate just as good with stuff from these stores whether it is the holidays or just wanting to change the look in your bathroom or other rooms in The House, I just love finding new stuff and saving money. There are there three stores here I go to , one is dollar tree and the other two are Dollar General and family dollar, now granted dollar general and family dollar don't sell everything for a dollar like dollar tree does, but they do have some things for a dollar and the other things they have are usually fairly priced and still lower then other stores. So I still like shopping at these stores too. But my favorite store most of the time anyway is dollar tree. :D:D

How many of you go to the dollar store and spend more then your want or need too?
    What is your favorite dollar store?

2. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I like to purchase glasses and bowls from the dollar tree. The Family store has nice decorating items for a fair price. I don't care for the Dollar General, their items are over priced to me. The kitchen items are also a good price.

It's always fun to go into the dollar store to see what's new.

3. alucard02

alucard02New Member

Threads:
    First time I hear about this site but it seems like there are some sweet deals on there. Definitely gonna give it a try when I have some time.

4. Neelofar1334

Neelofar1334Active Member

Threads:
    Dollar stores are great, but I read many articles on shopping sites about how shopping at the dollar store for certain items will cost you more in the long run. Seems kind of hard to believe, but it makes sense after you read the articles out there.

5. Anna Blush

Anna BlushActive Member

Threads:
    Dollar stores really are great! I always tend to find the perfect things and the price is always so heartwarming. I feel that sometimes the things truly are made cheaply however there are still pretty amazing things at the same time. It is also a great money saver type store for the same products that would cost a few extra dollars more in many cases.

6. MellowGuy

MellowGuyMember

Threads:
    Here in NYC, there are a bunch of 99 cent stores. I guess this is what you mean about "dollar" stores. They have everything from groceries to household items to greeting cards. These usually make a lot of money because whenever I come in there for a dollar worth of something, I end up spending $5 because I find so much more I want.

7. Yurika

YurikaActive Member

Threads:
    Seem i am outdated. My first time to hear dollar store, which sounds like a nice choice for shopping.

8. pafjlh

pafjlhActive Member

Threads:
    Yes, dollar stores are great but you did pin point one of the pit falls of going into one. You do have a tendency to get carried away because of the great bargains found in one. I remember one time when I was in one of my favorite, dollar stores called 99 cents only a woman in there shopping made a comment this 99 cents is starting to add up. I had to laugh at the comment because it was so true. You could easily find yourself buying a whole lot more then you set out to buy while in this particular dollar store.

9. emmy2points

emmy2pointsActive Member

Threads:
    I'm guilty of that. I love going to the Dollar Tree which is my favorite dollar store. I rarely go to the other ones just because I know they have items there that sell for more than $1. I've often bought decorations, food, household cleaning items, and other things from the Dollar Tree, and have come out of the store buying more than I intended lots of times. For me the dollar stores are a godsend during these challenging economic times.

10. JessiFox

JessiFoxActive Member

Threads:
    I love dollar stores! I tend to stick to things that are just $1 or $2 there and so I end up getting a bit more than I initially planned because there are plenty of useful or decorative things for a dollar. I really love target's dollar section as well! They always have great stuff and you can't beat the price :).

11. Parker

ParkerWell-Known Member

Threads:
    The 99 Cent Only stores are different from the Dollar Tree. In my store, they carry very different products. I always spend more than I plan on spending when I enter one of these stores. I really like the Dollar Tree for party favors and party decorations.

12. Duskre

DuskreNew Member

Threads:
    I live in Australia and there is a dollar store that I know of but they have a few items which aren't priced at a dollar. So its quite annoying and in a way we are being cheated so I don't tend to buy from the dollar store over here.

13. Winnie

WinnieActive Member

Threads:
    Going into a dollar store is almost a given recipe for spending more money than you intend to spend because everything is so cheap, and a lot of times the quality of the merch. is pretty good. I always spend more than I intend to spend when I go into a dollar store, because they have stuff in there for me to buy that I did not even know I needed until I see it, lol.

Or, a lot of times there are things that I did not even know existed until I see them on the shelves, then I just have to have them, because after all, they only cost a dollar. I have spent $50.00 in a dollar store, when I only went in to get a few things, because once you are in the store, you see this, and you see that, and then you see this other thing. You want to get it all, and the price is so reasonable, you think, why not get it?

I have to admit, shopping at any kind of dollar store is a great experience because you can get so much for your money. You realize that you don't have to spend an arm and a leg to get cute stuff for yourself, or for your house.

14. Treighsie

TreighsieActive Member

Threads:
    I use the dollar store for certain items-- plastic utensils, party supplies, greeting cards, pregnany tests (yes! they work!), holiday decor, just to name a few. There's no way to go wrong with these items, that are obviously cheaper. I think the problem is when you buy an item that is only $1, but it is small, like shampoo, food, etc. When in reality you have gotten the same thing, bigger sized, cheaper with a coupon!
    But yes, the dollar store rocks. They even have things for schools, crafts, scrapbooking, party gift bag toys, glow sticks! It's endless!

(Just don't buy the milk duds. I did once, and they seriously tasted like soap. Eww)

15. vpresson

vpressonWell-Known Member

Threads:

I'm the same way i can never go into the dollar stores just for one thing i end up getting more but i still spend less than i do at other stores i like getting the coloring books for my kids i also like the getting the glow sticks my daughter loves glow sticks and they have so many different and cool shaped ones. I also like getting bowls glasses and plates they look and are just as good as the ones you can buy at places like walmart but cheaper and also snacks

16. steph84

steph84Active Member

Threads:
    I have the same problem. The only thing that keeps me from overspending is by taking a set amount of cash that I want to spend. I will go with $20 and not spend a penny more. I understand how it is easy to breeze through the aisles and feel compelled to get it all. I just get the essentials and deals I can't pass up.

17. Bolt

BoltWell-Known Member

Threads:
    It was my birthday a few weeks ago and my mum bought a load of junk food from Poundland (the equivalent of the dollar store). I usually eat very clean and my birthday was a good excuse to indulge is unhealthy foods. Some of the deal on biscuits and chocolate are actually really good when compared to the supermarket prices.

18. nash22

nash22Active Member

Threads:
    I love the dollar store they built a bigger dollar store in my city not too long ago. I thought i was in heaven and i wanted to buy everything i could get my hands on. My limit is $25 but i end up spending more.

19. Sandra Piddock

Sandra PiddockExpert

Threads:
    The Dollar Tree is a store, not a website. Maybe you should read the posts properly before just responding with a generic comment that isn't even appropriate.

Back on topic - in Spain, the Dollar Tree equivalent is Domti. There are baxically 3 prices - 60 cents, 1.20 Euro and 2 Euro. 2 Euro is around $3, and for that, you can get shoes, clothing, umbrellas, planters for the garden - all manner of things. I always go in to buy one or two things and come out with bagfuls of stuff.

When we're in the UK, we go to Poundland, where nothing is more than £1 ($1.25). I buy quite a lot of food, kitchen items, books and DVDs and cough and cold remedies from there, and again, I always spend a lot more than I intend, but it's all good value.

20. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I'm surprised that you have never, ever heard of a dollar store. They are so common that here in Florida there are dollar stores every couple of blocks and yet they all stay in business.

Even other countries have similar things to dollar stores, like the 100 Yen shops in Japan.
    Weird that you haven't heard of dollar stores. We mention them here in the forums constantly.