Dollar Tree: A Low Budget Godsend!

Discussion in Food & Drink started by LilyRaven • Jan 15, 2016.

1. LilyRaven

LilyRavenNew Member

Threads:
    I love the Dollar Tree in general, but now that they have brought in food, I am even more in love. The low-cost food allows me to stock up and fill my house with good food. At first, I was a bit skeptical over the low cost, but once I tasted it, it became a staple in my household. My personal favorites are the breakfast trays that you throw in the microwave and the pot pies filled with sausage and gravy. I am in the South so these are my go-to any time of the day or night. Does anyone else use the Dollar Tree to load up?

2. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Not all Dollar Tree stores have food, but the ones that do are good. Stocks do vary and can go quickly. My favorites are really the frozen foods as they are all good value and the same brands as some of the major supermarkets. I stick to basics, but it's a god place to get spices and sauces too.

3. LilyRaven

LilyRavenNew Member

Threads:
    I couldn't agree more on the spices and sauces. You can find almost every spice one would need in the basic kitchen supply at the Dollar Tree. I try to stick to the basic necessities like bread, breakfast foods, quick snacks etc. The one thing I won't buy from there again though is their cheese. It does not melt! If you read the package it actually says it is not formulated to melt. What kind of cheese isn't formulated to melt? I had never heard of such a thing until I picked up three bags of it to make pizza and grilled cheese only to find it never melted. I thought there was something wrong with my oven or something for the longest time, until my partner read the back of the bag.

4. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    Oh yes, I love Dollar Tree as well. As Theo noted though, only certain locations have the frozen food section. I wish they all did, and I never understood why they do that. They're actually the same company that owns another discount chain called Deals. Deals is basically the same as Dollar Tree, only they also sell stuff that is more than a dollar as well. But they too have a freezer section with lots of cheap stuff.

Some of my favorite things from the Dollar Tree freezer section are:

- Chicken & Veggie Potstickers. There's like 12-14 in a pack, so this is a huge bargain for only $1. I've seen boxes of frozen potstickers selling at other grocery stores for like $6-$7 a box and there's usually only about 8 in a box.

- Veggie Spring Rolls. Not quite as flavorful at the potstickers, but these are also pretty good. Just be sure to bake them in an oven or toaster oven, so they crisp up and brown. Don't try to cook them in the microwave, they'll just turn out mushy and bland.

- Feta Cheese. Other grocery stores sell 3.5 oz tubs of this for close to $5 a piece, but you can get a 3 oz bag here for only $1. And unlike their other cheeses, this is actual real feta cheese.

- Frozen fries. Why pay $2-$3 or more per bag for the name brand ones when you can get them here for a fraction of the cost?

- Frozen veggies, same as the fries.

- Frozen berries. These are also much cheaper than the grocery stores, plus they hold up better than fresh fruit and are great to put on oatmeal for breakfast.

- Frozen snacks, such as mozzarella sticks, clam strips, etc... great when you want a snack tray to munch on, but don't want to spend a bunch of money ordering these from your local pizza/wing joint.

5. Ke Gordon

Ke GordonWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Yes, I was just at Dollar Tree the night before last. It is one of my favorite stores. I love the stores that have the Frozen food section. I love the location that I go to as well because it is next to the Aldis, and Ollie's OUtlet another discount store so I will buy the items I need from whatever store is the cheapest. One thing you can't beat is Dollar Tree's garlic bread for a buck. Every other store would charge at least 2.00 for it. OF course you can make it your self and save even more money...but unless you get a loaf of French or Itlalian bread on sale...it is likely to cost you over 1.00 just for the bread.

6. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I love the Asian frozen stuff at Dollar Tree, like the potstickers, spring rolls and pork steamed buns, and the lobster egg rolls.
    Last Thanksgiving when I was kind of broke, my kid and I made a meal out of just the Asian Dollar Tree frozen foods.
    They also have little frozen packages of chicken fried rice, but it's cheaper and better to make your own.
    I'm a fan of their pork steamed buns. The $1 pints of orange sherbet are also surprisingly good.

7. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I love to get my spices from the Dollar Tree. Spices can be very expensive in some stores and a real surprise at the checkout stand. I get my spices, soap and deordrant from the Dollar Tree.

8. Briannagodess

BriannagodessActive Member

Threads:
    We don't have a Dollar Tree here but we have an equivalent store named Daiso. The goods are mostly from Japan. There are also foods in here and we love the taste of most of it. We particularly love the snacks like pretzels and chips. Some candies are also available here. Chocolates from Japan are also available in Daiso. I hope that the Dollar Tree would put up a store here but for now Daiso will suffice.:p

9. laurelbell85

laurelbell85Member

Threads:
    I love the dollar tree too! They just expanded the one near my house. I love being able to get household items for so little. It is amazing. I was also hesitant about the food, but tried it and was pleasantly surprised! I hope all dollar trees expand and start doing food. Everyone deserves good food at a cheap price.

10. clauemi

clauemiActive Member

Threads:
    I'm pretty obsessed with the Dollar Tree myself but I hate it when you find something you like and they never keep it in stock. We really enjoyed the tamales they started selling a while back and now I can never find them. The brownies are also really good and never in stock. Then there's the mozzarella sticks. I wonder if these are items they will never sell again or they are just running out fast.

11. laurelbell85

laurelbell85Member

Threads:
    Yes!!! Their stock goes quick and you never know if you will get the chance for that awesome steal again. I get a lot of my photo paper from the dollar tree. $1 for like 10 sheets is perfect for me. Especially when they have more than a couple packs and a couple different sizes...JACKPOT!

12. Moroccanbeauty2266

Moroccanbeauty2266Active Member

Threads:
    I often shop there to get cheap stuff, such as kitchen supplies, cards, towels, socks, school stuff, etc. I hardly buy food there though even though it is cheap.

13. davos

davosActive Member

Threads:
    Dollar Tree is a place where one can discover new treasures every week... a store where my family enjoy hunting for that special something. Every Dollar Tree store I saw so far is clean and well organized, and stocked with endless hidden treasures.

Is a relevant alternative to shopping, especially during these tough economic times, they carry a broad, exciting mix of merchandise that includes many trusted national and regional brands. Some of the product departments you'll find at Dollar Tree not only are food, but include housewares, glassware, dinnerware, cleaning supplies, candy, snacks, food, health and beauty, toys, gifts, gift bags and wrap, party supplies, stationery, craft supplies, teaching supplies, books, seasonal décor,etc.

14. steph84

steph84Active Member

Threads:
    I love Dollar Tree's with a freezer section! They have some great frozen veggies or tater tots. You can't beat the price! I am lucky that the Dollar Tree with a freezer is also next to a Grocery Outlet. I can spend $75 and have food for three weeks. My boyfriend and I stock up and eat good with those two stores.

15. filmjunkie08

filmjunkie08Active Member

Threads:
    I hope to go to Dollar Tree tonight or tomorrow morning. I buy all kinds of things at the Dollar Tree. We buy a month supply of dog food, aluminum foil, freezer bags and some frozen products. And for my teen who eats every thing that isn't tied down, he can buy lots of snacks like veggie crackers. It really helps stretch my food dollars.

16. cluckeyo

cluckeyoActive Member

Threads:
    $1 for a pair of sunglasses or reading glasses has got to be the greatest deal they offer. I also love their food selections. One thing I really like is their sour dough nugget pretzels. They are fresh and delicious!

17. morgoodie

morgoodieActive Member

Threads:
    The Dollar Tree in my area does not have a huge selection of food. So I have never really found myself looking in that section. I do like buying spices from there as they can be expensive at other stores. I do like buying other things at the dollar store but sometimes you can find it cheaper at Walmart or Aldi. I think that sometimes the items are smaller at the dollar store too.