Dollar Tree Makeup: Yay Or Nay?

Discussion in Fashion & Apparel started by ShadyGiraffe • Aug 19, 2015.

1. ShadyGiraffe

ShadyGiraffeNew Member

Threads:
    Would you ever buy makeup for a dollar? It doesn't have to be a dollar tree. It can be anywhere. Just in general, would you purchase makeup for as cheap as a dollar? I personally love getting makeup at the Dollar Tree. Some of it is crappy, but other times its just surplus drugstore products that are repackaged and sold at the Dollar Tree. For me, its like being an ultra cheap beauty guru. I always find great Physicians Formula and Maybeline products for just a buck! Of course the package might not be that pretty, but it's cheap and it works! Anyways, please share your thoughts! I hope I'm not alone on this boat.

2. Briannagodess

BriannagodessActive Member

Threads:
    We have a 'dollar' store here but they sell makeups that are not known. They do not sell Maybelline or Physician's Formula there. If they did, I would buy in a heartbeat! Sadly, most of the makeups there are trash. The eyeshadows are powdery. The lipsticks are not pigmented. The only good stuff are the eyelashes but they sell them a dollar for two pieces which is kind of steep.

3. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Yes I buy items for a dollar like nail polishes (You can get L'Oreal and Sally Hansen in Dollar Tree) and I buy cheek color and blushers too. Sometimes Forever 21 has some good buys, but is seasonal. I spend more money on things like lipsticks and mascara as those are things that you need to be reliable.

4. MyDigitalpoint

MyDigitalpointActive Member

Threads:
    I don't longer wear make up as I used to wear when I was younger, so whenever I buy some it's common it last for longer and therefore I prefer to pay a little more because if buying cheap some products (like lipstick) tends to acquire a rancid taste or foundation may dry with the pass of the weeks or months sometimes!

Even though when I see an opportunity for nail products or hand care, I go for these, since our hands are in continuous motion an all products related to them tend to run out faster than any other product.

5. dorothymoreno

dorothymorenoActive Member

Threads:

6. dorothymoreno

Threads:
    I think it is all the same as long as it serves the purpose.

7. tasxx

tasxxMember

Threads:
    I went to my dollar tree yesterday and I was actually surprised at the amount of decent makeup stuff that they had. All of the items were brands that I've already heard of or brands that I was planning on trying anyways. Just as dorothymoreno said, if it does what I need it to do, I don't care how little I spent on it. I'll try anything from the dollar tree makeup section at least once.

P.S. I found sally hansen nail art stickers for $1 so that's such a steal!

8. dorothymoreno

Threads:
    I agree, and hey they do have some really nice stuff sometimes at the dollar tree! You never know what you're gonna find, and you can't beat the price...:)

9. Vicenta

VicentaMember

Threads:
    I have no problem shopping at the dollar tree for makeup now their eyeliner isn't that great so I buy that off of amazon. But as far as eye shadow, and blush pretty much all my make up needs except my eye liner and their products work very well to only cost a buck. I don't wear much makeup so what they offer is plenty for me. I also like their nail polish and nail sets I brought a little girl nail set for my daughter and she loved it, it was only a dollar and made her feel pretty. :)

10. chloedwaters

chloedwatersNew Member

Threads:
    I definitely like to try out lots of make up from Dollar Tree. It's a really affordable way to try a bunch of different products, and see what you like and what you don't. A lot of the time, I can find a couple things here and there that work alright for me, and maybe a few that don't. But it'd better than spending ten bucks on an eyeshadow and finding out it doesn't work for you.

11. dorothymoreno

Threads:
    I'm the same as far as wearing makeup, I don't wear that much so I don't like to spend too much on it either. If you can spend less and it fills the need, then why not. I noticed you said you get your eyeliner foo of amazon. Are their prices pretty reasonable? I have heard a lot of people talk about getting a lot of different items from there, but I haven't ever really shopped there much.

12. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I'm a makeup and cosmetics junkie, so I spend way too much money on those LOL So yes I would and I have. Where I lived before, I used to go to my local market where there was this amazing stall called The Beauty Box, and they surprisingly carried some of the best, branded stuff there, going for really cheap. The packaging was not always immaculate, but it was all genuine, so I bought it :)

13. E.Mil

E.MilMember

Threads:
    I have bought some name brand makeup products at dollar tree when they are in stock. I have tried the makeup that cost a dollar that they sell there and some of it's okay but I only use it if money is real tight.

14. chiofthenorns

chiofthenornsActive Member

Threads:
    I wish our dollar store sells those brands! If they do, I'll buy everything in a heartbeat. I have no qualms about using drugstore makeup. Most of the time, the formulation is the same. I'm also not breaking out when I use them. In fact, as much as possible, I try to find the cheapest yet quality makeup.

15. missbishi

missbishiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    In the UK, we have pound shops and you can often find decent make up there. Poundland, in particular, has a great range. Some of the pound stores often sell bigger brands too - these items are usually from last season or have slightly imperfect packaging.

16. MarriedGirl15

MarriedGirl15Member

Threads:
    I've bought lipstick and eyeliner from Dollar Tree. Where I live Dollar Tree sells some of the same name brands that you will spend a lot of money on only for a dollar. I like the lipstick that I bought from Dollar Tree. The only problem that I had was it didn't last as long as I wanted it to. I love the eyeliner that I bought, that's the first place I go to find eyeliner. I think Dollar Tree have good makeup, it just depends on what you buy.

17. isabbbela

isabbbelaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I would, as long as it is a well-known brand that I know is at least decent quality. I am not sure if he was the Dollar Tree store, because I only went once, but I went to a dollar store ones and ended up finding a Revlon mascara that I got. It was worth it! Wet N Wild, Rimmel and these other Brands are pretty affordable and they still have good quality.

18. TheLovingLeah

TheLovingLeahActive Member

Threads:
    I have definitely tried some cheap makeup at Dollar Tree before. I had no problems with it. I actually loved it! So it is definitely a YAY! The problem was it was not my color. But nothing was wrong with it. It was WAY lighter than my skin. But yeah I love cheap makeup too. I would only get higher priced makeup, if it had a pack of more than one thing in it. I do not really like spending 30 or more dollars for one little thing in makeup. I love how cheap makeup can still look as good as the expensive kind.

19. Ke Gordon

Ke GordonWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Yes, I certainly would. I don't buy or wear a lot of make up in general and when I do, I don't like to spend a lot of money on it. It is a well known fact that mainline make up brands have a huge mark up on them anyway. YOu are better off in most cases buying low cost alternatives. More expensive mascara's that come from mainstream manufacturers are much nicer than Dollar Store brands though.