Donated my clothes

Discussion in Fashion & Apparel started by isabbbela • May 17, 2014.

1. isabbbela

isabbbelaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    So a while back I was looking to sell my used clothes, just because I really needed some extra money (still do). I looked up online for options where I could sell them too, but it was either eBay or a thrift store, and those stores barely give you money back. I gave up on selling my clothes, since I couldn't find another option and they wouldn't be worth that much anyway. So I just donated them to the association that takes donations at my work. I don't think it's nice to profit only around $10 bucks for a thrift store to sell them... I would rather not have the $10 and give the clothing to people who truly need them. I have always donated before and I like donating what I don't use. This time my only reasoning to sell them was to get some money back - my account is negative as I told you on a previous post. But you know what... 10 bucks would never solve it, but having an extra coat would solve a lot to a person who couldn't buy one on their own. So I'm glad I decided to donate them at the end.

2. CrystalMarie

CrystalMarieActive Member

Threads:
    Great post. I try to donate clothes that I do not need whenever possible. I think that it is better to donate them than to receive 10 dollars for selling them. There are local donation boxes at my locals grocery stores.

3. Kitty Reeves

Kitty ReevesActive Member

Threads:
    I've donated A LOT of my old clothes over the years. I haven't even bothered trying to resell my clothes, because unless it's some sort of high fashion brand name piece, you won't get jack squat for it. And I don't wear any brand name clothes. I have considered getting brand new clothes from the thrift store (I live right outside of an extremely rich neighborhood) and reselling them, but I don't even know if it's worth the effort yet.

And besides, it's always good to donate your clothes. Like you said, by donating, you will be helping someone else who's in need. (Also donating your clothes is tax deductible!)

4. whnuien

whnuienActive Member

Threads:
    I actually prefer to donate all my unwanted stuff including clothes that I don't fit or I don't need anymore. We have a few places here in my county for orphanage so they are always happy to receive and give it to the children. It makes me happy when I can help them in whatever way I can.

I'm glad to hear that you decided to donate them instead of selling it back. Of course I did think of the option of selling my unwanted stuff back but I honestly can't be bothered with the shipping task and it's extra cost.

5. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Sometimes you have to make choices like that. When the deal is no good, you opt for something else like donating your stuff. In future I'll consider doing something similar if:

a) Finding customers is too much of a hassle.
    b) I'm in a good, giving mood.
    c) What I'd make from the sales is money I could do without.

p.s I'm not a cheapskate . . . just a practical guy.

6. malia

maliaMember

Threads:
    Well good for you! Yeah.. I mean what are you really going to do with $10 anyway if someone really needs a coat? I think that charity is one of the most humble and rewarding things you can do, and I am a firm believer in karma so something good will come out of that. be blessed :)

7. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Over here, we just leave our unwanted clothes in a plastic bag outside and wait for the people to pick it up. Overnight, after placing the bag outside, the bag has already disappeared. You can also try leaving your unwanted clothes outside your home near the thrash can, those scavengers usually pick them up and get them.