Don't Forget To Check Thrift Shops For Books

Discussion in Books, eBooks & Audio Books started by tangiblesalt • Feb 9, 2015.

1. tangiblesalt

tangiblesaltNew Member

Threads:
    About a month ago I bought Mason and Dixon by Pynchon and Freedom by Franzen for three dollars. Yesterday I bought The Greek Myths by Robert Graves and The Corrections by Franzen for five dollars. Everytime I go there seems to be something interesting in these thrift shops. All four of the books were hardback and each cost at least twenty dollars. Of course, I doubt you'll find a new release but if you need something to read and are keen on saving, I'd suggest a thrift shop. I'm curious if you have done this, what books have you found? I know that some have found rare classics worth hundreds at thrift shops.

2. missbishi

missbishiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Couldn't agree more! I find that the bestsellers usually start to appear in the thrift stores in around three months - so I always hang back from buying them. I can't remember the last time I bought a new book at all. My local charity shop charges 40p per book!

3. Zyni

ZyniWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I've picked up several books from thrift shops as well, at times for as little as a quarter. Also, the shop nearest me will clearance their books and then get rid of whatever doesn't sell. They will have a bin filled with books you can take free of charge. I've only taken a few free ones, and I wanted them for crafting (old looking pages). Some were missing some pages or otherwise damaged, so they wouldn't have made good reading materials anyway.

4. Radix24

Radix24Active Member

Threads:
    I often check the thrift shops for books. There is one store that specializes on selling second hand books and back issues of magazines. Most of my beloved books were bought on this place. They charge from 5 cents to 10 dollars or so, depending on the book you bought. I frequent that place when I ran out of things to read.

5. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    It's a well known and popular past time in the UK and something everyone does. Most shops have extended book sections and often it's a tussle to look at the books. I always go and browse to see any gems and I used to go to book fairs where books are really cheap and where second hand bookshop owners go to buy their stock.

6. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25Active Member

Threads:
    I always buy pre-loved novels at my favorite thrift bookshop. They are very cheap, very rare, and still have good quality so why not go for them, right? Actually, most of my books are bought at a very low price. I've got more than 50 books bought from a thrift bookshop including Divine Secrets of the Yaya Sisterhood by Rebecca Wells, White Oleander by Janet Fitch, Incendiary by Chris Cleave, and Cavedweller by Dorothy Allison.