Don't Take The Pennsylvania Turnpike

Discussion in Travel started by Ke Gordon • Jan 11, 2016.

1. Ke Gordon

Ke GordonWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Going to my Sister's in Pennsylvania this weekend, the shortest way to get there is to take the PA turnpike. The cost to drive maybe 120 miles was 11.40!!! I had the worst kind of sticker shock. Everytime we go on the turnpike the price goes up. I would suggest taking a few minutes to find an alternative route. We will definetly be finding an alternative route to this route.

2. H.C. Heartland

H.C. HeartlandActive Member

Threads:
    My brother and his wife really liked using EZPass but they were using it for the Tolls in the Chicago tri-state area. Its the same system for the PA Turnpike though. If you visit your sister regularly it might end up being cheaper for you in the end:

3. Ke Gordon

Ke GordonWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Yes, my sister and brother in law use the ezpass system. It works for them as there is a toll road near their home they take often, and they use the turnpike partially when going to visit my parents. I don't go up there enough to make use of EZ pass. We also found taking Route 22 to be a good alternative. When I visit my parents I use I 68 which is a great road...but it is not practical to go that way to visit sis. It is too much out of the way.

4. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I was also surprised to see how much it cost in toll fees on the Pennsylvania Turnpike. I went from outside of Baltimore to Philadelphia it cost close to $20 one way. Some freeways cost so much to travel on the highway, I try to use the back roads as much as I can.