Door to door discount salesmen.

Discussion in Gas & Electricity started by pamelalalove • Mar 7, 2013.

1. pamelalalove

pamelalaloveNew Member

Threads:
    I stay in the Montgomery county area of Ohio. Since I moved from an apartment to a town home I have had many solicitors knock on our door offering to help us save money on our electric bill. How they can do this I am unsure. My mother gave it a chance and she thinks that it actually did more harm than good. My question is has this been happening in other cities, and if so has anyone benefited from it? I can't remember the name of the company but when I searched for it, I did not see many good reviews. Do you think its possible for a company to help you save on your utility bill, do you know of any that have helped you personally? What other methods do you use to save on your utilities? I'm just curious.

2. Bolt

BoltWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Door to door salesman are not very common where I live. I have encountered only two door to door salesmen this year. One was an Irish traveler offering to dig out the weeds in my drive and the other was a man offering a window cleaning service.

3. pafjlh

pafjlhActive Member

Threads:
    In my area you don't encounter door to door salesman either. No, we use to have telemarketers calling us, which isn't too uncommon. My sister finally put a message on our answering machine saying that we weren't interested and that the solicitor should just hang up. This took care of the problem. My suggestion there are signs that can be bought something like no solicitors welcomed. Get one an place it in your window, either that or get a dog. A dog can also sway a solicitor from wanting to come to your front door as well.

As for saving on your electric bill, your right you shouldn't listen to these people. What you should do is do some research online, there are many tips out there about saving on energy cost. There are some tips on this website as well, in other words you don't need to listen to a salesman who is trying to make a quota on sells. Listen to practical individuals such as yourself who have learn from trial an error about what to do.

4. themdno

themdnoNew Member

Threads:
    Personally, door to door salesman just put me off, in general. I think, if their product was so great, they would advertise it like normal people, and get business. To need to resort to people footing it, and knocking on people's doors, and bugging them, seems desperate and shady to me. I never trust these people, no matter they are offering. Unless of course, it was a little girl offering some Girl Scout cookies, then I'd be all ears!

5. avadarling

avadarlingMember

Threads:
    Uhh I get these guys every weekend! I wont sign up because even if they could save me a dollar on my electricity I do not like change and I would be all confused every month. I do wish they would stop coming to my door though!

6. Parker

ParkerWell-Known Member

Threads:
    There aren't many door-to-door salespeople in my area. I have done some cold door knocking, but I did that for small businesses. I would never attempt to do it in a residential area.

I once did some door-to-door political campaigning a few years ago. I did it in a different state. It wasn't easy because most people have a "no soliciting" sign on the door. But it was on the best jobs ever. I loved that job.

7. bargainhunter

bargainhunterMember

Threads:
    We've just had a news item in the Uk where an energy firm has been fined over 10 million pounds for going door-to-door and getting people to switch electricity supplier. They basically conned people with promises of savings that never materialised and people spent a fortune. No firm can really undercut the rest when it comes to energy so think twice before signing anythin on your doorstep.

8. SuzyLewis

SuzyLewisNew Member

Threads:
    We don't have them here in SC. They would probably get shot in my neck of the woods.

9. dorothymoreno

dorothymorenoActive Member

Threads:

I have not had anybody come knocking offering to save us money on our utility bills, but even if I did I don't think I would take advantage of their offers. I save on bills by, turning of lights, tvs, computers or whatever else is not being used. I only use the heater when really cold and even then to just take out the chill. Same with the air conditioning, I run only to get the heat out, so I keep the air conditioning and the heat on auto , but I don't have it on overdrive, the heater I usually keep it at about 55 and the air conditioning at about 65 and it works fine for us. I also only use the air conditioning on really hot days, other wise I have my windows open and a fan. These are just a few things I do to save on my electric.

10. annagoryun

annagoryunMember

Threads:
    I used to be a door to door sales person for a little bit different company in Canada, but I do know quite a lot about the industry. So if you are over the age of 65, you do not need to provide a reason if you want to cancel a contract, or pay a cancellation fee of any sort. Most energy contracts are about 5 years old. if you are a customer, and your rate is way too high, you can always ask them to lower the rate. MAKE SURE to specify that you DO NOT want to extend the length of the contract and look up the standard rate for electricity or gas. Then ask them to either match it or try aiming for lower with the customer service rep.

11. avadarling

avadarlingMember

Threads:
    I get these salesmen about 2 times a week, I never listen to them and I wish they would stop coming to my door. What they offer sounds extremely confusing and Id rather just stick with what I know!

12. Libragirl67

Libragirl67Active Member

Threads:
    The only people that come to our door is the Jehovas Witness people. I have never had a door to door salesman come around. I did not even know they did that anymore. And where we are from there is only one utility company per area that you are allowed to use. You do not have a choice. If you live in a certain part of the city you get whatever company services your area. This goes for both the electric and the gas. Now if you are talking about the cable or sattelite, we have a few choices. But we usually have a flyer come through the mail. Or we get a phone solicitor call us.

13. limcid

limcidActive Member

Threads:
    The way I figure it, it can't be the best discount because somewhere in the mix of it all, the salesmen have to get paid as well. I would prefer to deal directly with the company to get the best deal.

14. Diane102290

Diane102290New Member

Threads:
    I live in the city and I have also been getting these knocks on my door about how their company can help save on my gas bill. I asked a few of my friends about this because I'm always up for a new way to save money and one of my friends tried one of them, I can't remember which one she tried, but it wasn't a good one. She told me that her bill was at a fixed rate for about 3 months then it began to increase to a greater amount every month after those first 3 months. I would rather stick to what I know than get a surprise in the mail, and it be a huge bill.

15. vida_llevares

vida_llevaresActive Member

Threads:
    I'd rather have my own initiatives. I don't know the intention of these salesmen.