Download Or Not?

Discussion in Movies, Music & Games started by pwarbi • Mar 12, 2015.

1. pwarbi

pwarbiActive Member

Threads:
    Just wondering if anybody else still prefers to actually buy DVD's or blu-ray discs as opposed to downloading?
    As good as the download services are, I still prefer to have a copy on disc with a box, to add to a collection. Most movies and games these days can be downloaded but I still like the fact I have a shelf full, maybe I'm just a little set in my ways?

2. Squigly

SquiglyActive Member

Threads:
    I'm not a fan of buying DVDs, it just adds more physical clutter to my already small apartment. I prefer digital downloads since they are instant and often cheaper.

3. xTinx

xTinxWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Between downloading and buying DVD copies, I would rather support the latter. Downloading takes a lot of time and I have no patience when it comes to watching a show I've been dying to watch. Video files also take up a huge amount of space in my hard-drive, making it lag most of the time. I'd rather use my extra space for other more important files.

4. pwarbi

pwarbiActive Member

Threads:
    I guess when I download a title instead of buying a physical cope, I just get the feeling I'm missing out a bit. It just doesn't feel the same. I'm sure as downloads get more and more popular then that will wear off and it will become the norm.
    Welcome to the digital era...

5. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Downloads offer an alternative and the idea is for someone to watch on the spur of the moment. I do prefer a hard copy because I feel as if I have something I have paid for rather than a file. There is the danger of losing the download too unless you keep it in an account to access and of course you need go broadband speeds to download, so not everyone has that still.

6. May102014

May102014Active Member

Threads:
    I still prefer the old way, that is buying DVD copies. Downloading files is cheaper but it takes so much space and well there's no guarantee that it will be forever stored in the disk considering the virus and other factors. Having a physical copy is actually fulfilling especially when you see all the DVDs you have bought. You can watch them over and over again and you can even share it to your friends or you can borrow each others DVDs.

7. TommyVercetti

TommyVercettiActive Member

Threads:
    Well if you like physical copies and are a collector, I think you've just answered your own question. Putting these preferences out of the way though, digital download is the way to go. You can make physical copies when you want, you'll save on shelf space, and you'll pay for it at a much lesser price.

8. Gelsemium

GelsemiumWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I feel that both CDs and DVDs these days are obsolete. Maybe 6 months ago my DVD player got broken and I didn't bother to get a new one because these days all my contents are digital and I don't have a need for it.

9. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I prefer to just download or stream, and I even prefer streaming because I don't have to store and use up space on my hard drive. I tend not to like buying physical discs because I've always been messy and disorganized so they always just end up getting lost and it's why I only shop at bargain bins so I wouldn't feel too bad if I do lose them.

10. lindbergh

lindberghWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Get an external hard drive with a huge storage space and download! I used to love purchasing DVDs and CDs in the past (late 90s to early 2000's) but times have changed. I no longer want to have a stack of DVDs stowed away in a corner of the room accumulating dust. It's better to get a soft copy of things. I find it more convenient. It's easier to share and use if you download it rather than get a DVD or CD copy.

11. philipgust

philipgustMember

Threads:
    I don't know, I'm sorry!

12. Gelsemium

GelsemiumWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Pretty much as I do lindbergh. I've bought a 1TB external drive and I just put my stuff there. No way I want DVD or CD boxes all over the house and I don't even have the need for the DVD player, today everything is inside my external disk.

13. lavenderblue

lavenderblueMember

Threads:
    For convenience and cost efficiency, I think the streaming sites are an invaluable resource. I would rather watch new films and tv shows there, and would almost never do a blind buy of such things. For all time favorite movies and shows that I would give a 10/10 and wish to share with others, I would definitely go for physical copies though. It is still very appealing to have a collection.

14. lordrenly

lordrenlyActive Member

Threads:
    I only do downloads nowadays. First of all, they take up less space in my apartment, which is already a huge advantage by itself considering I have a lot of other junks that I have to worry about and I also don't like having extra things to mind of when I move. Second of all, it is easier to back up downloaded files on my computer, which is convenient since I don't know when I will lose my data on my computer. Finally, I don't have to carry a lot of DVDs if I want to watch a lot of series on my travel.

15. Happyflowerlady

HappyflowerladyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I really like just dowloading somehing, and even better, I like storing it in the Cloud. Then I can use it when i want to; but it is not even taking up room on the computer or iPad.
    Back when a real record album was the only way to go; I loved collecting allbums, and they always had great pictures, and also informaion about the singers, and usually the albums themselves.
    Another good thing about downloading is that it works for any kind of device. I can watch a movie on the Apple TV, on the iPad, and even on the Kindle or Dell computer if i wanted to. It works on anything, anytime.
    There is nothing to lose, or get ruined, or even become obsolete.

16. Aladar

AladarWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't even have an optic drive anymore, so definitely no physical discs for me, thanks. Download all the way.

17. DancingLady

DancingLadyActive Member

Threads:
    I buy DVDs. There are very few movies I wish to own, so is not a lot of clutter. I don't have anything to download onto, and somehow that seems like a really risky thing to do. Without a physical disk, can't the data be lost pretty easily if your computer crashed?

18. thenextGeek

thenextGeekActive Member

Threads:
    I'm not a fan of buying DVDs either. I'm a very minimalist guy and I really hate any form of clutter inside my room. My mom's not a fan of clutter either so I can't put DVDs in the living room either. That's why I always prefer downloading movies compared to buying blu-rays because my downloads won't take up any form of physical space whatsoever. I can also bring them with me whenever I'm on an out of town trip without contributing to my luggage because they're all stored in my hard drive.

19. tipoywizard

tipoywizardActive Member

Threads:
    I am a fan of buying DVDs and Bluray disc. I buy dvds of my favorite movies and add them to my collection. I have a lot of DVD sets in my house. As much a possible I do not download. It is my means of helping the film industry.

20. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25Active Member

Threads:
    I am a DVD collector so I guess that it is already pretty obvious that I prefer buying DVD copies over downloading them. I just don't have much patience with downloading movies and television series because the internet here in our country is kind of low which is actually very annoying. :(