Dreamworks or Pixar Films?

Discussion in Movies, Music & Games started by razelia • Apr 15, 2013.

1. razelia

razeliaActive Member

Threads:
    I know there are other prominent animator groups out there, but these two are the "most popular" when it comes to things like this, so... onward.

Which animated films do you find to like more after watching them? Dreamworks or Pixar films?

For me, Pixar has really done well, especially with the Toy Story films and their latest Wreck-it Ralph. But recently, I've been leaning toward the Dreamworks films, especially because of Rise of the Guardians and The Croods, mainly for the sense of "wonder" that Dreamworks managed to Incorporate in those films. They really made me feel like I was back to being a child again (in a good way, mind you).

How about you guys?

2. addicted_buyer

addicted_buyerExpert

Threads:
    I really like both Pixar and Dreamworks movies, but I prefer the Pixar ones. Even though Shrek is still one of my favorite movies (up until the 2nd one, the rest weren't that good), I find Wall-E, Toy Story, Monsters Inc and Up to be even better.

3. BlackSolaris

BlackSolarisActive Member

Threads:
    Both good, but for some reason Dreamworks seems to always stay a step behind Pixar in terms of quality of the works they do.

Pixar movies always have that "That is going to be a classic in the future" magic touch.

4. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    Honestly they both look the same to me, I can't distinguish whoever made what. I think I might like Pixar a bit more if I do a research on the 3D movies that I like, I'm pretty sure most of them will turn out to be Pixar. :D One of my all time favorites is the Incredibles. I wish they would make a sequel, but I read online from the director of the film that he doesn't see a need for it, so I'm disappointed about that, but I do see his point.

5. lindbergh

lindberghWell-Known Member

Threads:
    What a hard question you have here. Burgh studios are great and both have produced amazing cartoon movies. However, overall, I think that Pixar is the winner. I think that their ideas are more creative and fresh as compared to that of Dreamworks.

6. pafjlh

pafjlhActive Member

Threads:
    I don't tend to look at the studio as much as I look at the film itself. both Dreamworks and Pixar have come out with some good movies over the years. However, they have also both come out with some duds as well. I do think they both do well in the animation type department, which does help the quality of their movies. However, the animation is only part of what makes a good animated cartoon, there is also the story. I tend the think that for the most part Pixar has had the most success in that department. Although, Dreamworks has had its share of success. I think the problem with Dreamworks though is once they find a good formula they can't seem to get off of it. Shrek was a success so of course they had to come out with what three sequels. Madagascar was a success so they come out with two sequels so far. Yes, Pixar has done a few sequels themselves (Toy Story for example), but they do tend to come up with more original films then Dreamworks has at least that seems to be the way I view it.

7. mythman

mythmanActive Member

Threads:
    I can't tell the difference either, but I'm sensing it's something like 'this generation's Disney-vs.-WB' (the fact that Disney has partnered with at least one of them simply adds to that).

But I don't guess my 'dollar' makes much difference unless I'm a theater-owner who's buying the films I expect my customers want to see as I charge them 60000% for popcorn (which I'm not ... in THIS reality :cool: )

8. mistymi

mistymiActive Member

Threads:
    I like Pixar more. They are more creative from what I've seen. Dreamworks has too many talking animal movies that just aren't that interesting to me. Pixar has more variety and their stories are usually more charming while Dreamworks is more humorous but not really the humor I like.

9. starfox64

starfox64Active Member

Threads:
    I grew up on both and although I believe Shrek is one of the best movies series out there, I like Pixar's catalog better. Monsters Inc., Finding Nemo, all of the Toy Stories, and the Incredibles are all just amazing films to me. Speaking of, I've heard that they are making a sequel to the Incredibles!!!

10. mythman

mythmanActive Member

Threads:
    Oughtn't you perhaps post a Poll here (with the option in the 'Thread tools' dropdown-menu)---maybe including 'old school' cartoon-places (Disney, WB) as well?

11. isabbbela

isabbbelaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Both did pretty good movies in the past, but Pixar to me is the master! It's a really good studio and they came up with amazing movies! Some of my favorites are from Pixar - like Toy Story, Finding Nemo and Brave! I don't even think they are that comparable! I would always pick Pixar in a heartbeat!