Dried Banana Peel Fertilizer

Discussion in Home & Garden started by gata montes • Sep 27, 2015.

1. gata montes

gata montesActive Member

Threads:
    Banana peels - which I'm more than sure many of you already know - are an excellent way of fertilizing plants - not only organically but for free and particularly roses, tomatoes and citrus - which due to the high potassium and phosphorus content - thrive on them. However - as decomposing banana peels dotted around the garden - doesn't just look horribly unsightly but also attracts unwanted garden visitors such as raccoons, rats etc - I've found that its generally better to dry them rather than use them raw.

So if like me - you also hate anything going to waste and especially - when it can be put to good use elsewhere and save money at the same time too - if you haven't tried it yet and would instead of discarding your banana peels - prefer to put them to good use by turning them into your own organic fertilizer.

The best and quickest method for drying banana peels - after first placing the peels on a wire rack or baking sheet

is to set the oven on its lowest setting - place the rack in the oven and leave for between 45 minutes to1 hour - preferably with the oven door very slightly open, so that the moisture can escape.
    although I would advise - after the first half hour - to keep checking every 10 -15 minutes to make sure they haven't burnt.

You'll know when they are dried - as they will be pliable and crispy - but not burnt.

At which point you can either cut them up manually or grind in a blender - before storing in an airtight container for later use - which as they keep well for quite sometime - will always be on hand and ready to use whenever you need them - either as a fertilizer for established plants or as a mulch for young plants and seedlings.

In fact even if you don't have any plants yourself - they're still worth doing - especially as - they're generally much appreciated when gifted to an avid gardener

2. steph84

steph84Active Member

Threads:
    I don't even dry out my banana peel! I put it right into the soil. I use this on my roses all of the time! It really does work! I also use coffee grounds and put the paper filter and all in the dirt! It's compost! I have been doing this for the past year. I also save my shower water, laundry water and dish water to water my grass!

3. gata montes

gata montesActive Member

Threads:
    Yes I used to do that too.

However, after having found that - using fresh peels even after having dug them into the soil around the plants - not only attracted copious quantities of unwanted visitors but also led to the destruction of many of my plants - due to these creatures digging around trying to unearth - what I can only think must be a delectable snack for them - the rotting peels - I now much prefer to used dried peels - as not only is there no smell to attract unwanted visitors - but its way easier and better for the plants too.

4. missbishi

missbishiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I had never thought to dry them out and grind them. I tend to cut them into four pieces and throw them in the composter. I also put teag bags, coffee grounds and any other fruit/vegetable peelings in there.