Drinking during meals

Discussion in Food & Drink started by Strykstar • Oct 8, 2014.

1. Strykstar

StrykstarActive Member

Threads:
    Do you drink during meals?
    I recently cut sodas from my diet, and have been trying to drink just water during my meals, but I've been told that it's better to drink nothing at all during meals, is this true?
    It has been hard enough drinking just water, I'd have a very hard time adjusting to not drinking at all...

2. prettycolors

prettycolorsActive Member

Threads:
    I usually just drink water during meals - considering how often we eat I'd spend a fortune on sodas. If it's healthy or not I could not say, but I've been doing it all my life, me and other people I know, so I'd say we don't need a study to reach the conclusion that it's ok. Plus, drinking some water/juice is washing the food down nicely, it'd be silly to choke at the table because of some obscure guideline :p

3. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    Initially I thought you meant alcohol during meals, in which case, yes - particularly beers, not cocktails. If I am at a place that makes great burgers and also happens to have a bar, I would love to eat it along with a tall beer.

I definitely have at least something to drink, even if its just water, during a meal. It kind of cleans the flavors out of my mouth between each bite, especially if I am alternating between multiple things, like a sandwich and fries. That was one of the reasons I had a hard time weening myself off of sodas, because I liked the tartness from the citric acid along with the carbonation, to cut through greasier foods.

These days I've switched to unsweetened iced tea that I've brewed fresh myself. The bitterness of the tanins in it help act as a palette cleanser of sorts.

4. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    You should drink during your meal, it will help the food go down and if you're eating hot, then definitely. Listen to your body, if you need a drink then drink something. I think people are saying not to drink a whole glass of water during your meal as it would fill you up and you wouldn't be hungry, but a few sips her and there is not going to hurt you or affect your appetite.

5. Peninha

PeninhaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I drink during my meals, but I know that this is an unhealthy habit that slows down the digestion, especially if it's cold drinks. If we think of it it's not too hard to come to this conclusion, our stomach acids are trying to digest and the drinks dissolve them so they are slowing us down.

6. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I used to be a bit addicted to sodas and fruit juices as well when drinking it with my meals, but I eventually got over it after I learned how good water was in it's place. Nowadays I'm much more used to water than sodas when I pick drinks to accompany my meals, and if I did order sodas which is seldom, I only have it after because I'm not used to it interfering with the taste of my food now. I drink a bit during meals and I finish the bulk of it after, but I don't know the science of it though so I can't really speak on that area.

7. Colebra

ColebraActive Member

Threads:
    You shouldn't drink a ton of water during meals. That will slow the digesting process.
    This isn't bro science. This is what sport nutritionists say.
    A glass of water won't make that much of a difference, but ideally, you should be drinking before the digesting process starts, or after it ends.

8. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    There are so many theories these days in favor of or against something. Makes one wonder which of them should be followed. I've heard it said that drinking anything [including water] when eating is bad for you [[or your digestion]. Another school of thought says you should because
    Those against say
    I usually drink water before, during and after the meal. How it affects digestion I'm yet to find out.

9. valiantx

valiantxActive Member

Threads:
    Well, it's what I'm eating for a meal that determines if I need a drink of sorts. Any salty, fatty, pasty, starchy, and oily foods, definitely need a full glass, can, or bottle of liquid to quench along. Dried foods like fruits, meat jerkies, nuts, and other similar types of edibles, I require only a little amount of liquids. If I'm eating ramen, pho, or some type of soup, I rarely need anything to drink with it, unless it's spicy, oily, or I need to wash down all the flavor out of my mouth.

So, yeah, personally I need some type of liquid to drink along with foods I eat and it does help me digest much better too.

10. Jake

JakeActive Member

Threads:
    I just had Mamey juice with my sandwich from a juice bar down the street. It is a Mexican juice bar type of place, so people usually pair their foods with a smoothie-like drink. It is just more enjoyable this way. It does not really cause any discomfort, but I can understand people who have a sensitive digestive system. I think drinking soda would cause me some troubles if I were to pair it with the wrong type of food. Like a blueberry muffin and a can of coke, it just does not sound appetizing.

11. pennylane

pennylaneActive Member

Threads:
    I can't imagine that drinking water during your meal really makes that much of a difference. Perhaps if you were drinking excessively, maybe. I drink water and sometimes a beer or a glass of wine when I'm having dinner. Certain flavors compliment the meal well.

12. Timetrvlr

TimetrvlrMember

Threads:
    Oh yes, I drink during meals, most of the time it's homemade iced tea that I make and I sweeten it with Splenda (sucralose). During the day, I switch off to diet cola. I don't drink beer or spirits anymore because I'm diabetic but I fondly remember ordering a pizza and a pitcher of beer a Shaky's back in the 60's

13. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    When I eat I do not drink anything at all, I get too full and can not finnish my meal. I must either eat or drink. If I start to drink before my food arrives I will have to take my food home. If I am trying to lose a few pounds I will eat first so I know I will get full quicker.

14. Danyel72

Danyel72Active Member

Threads:
    When we eat we do all have a drink at the table. I guess we just got used to doing that but it's always water. I have actually heard that it's best not to drink while you eat. Not sure how true that actually is. I found that if we have soda or juice we all tend to drink so much of that and we don't finish our meals.

Water is not so popular so we don't have the issue with that one. ;)

Hope this helps,

Danyel :)

15. Mayvin

MayvinActive Member

Threads:
    I've heard that too that its not good to drink during meals but often times I get thirsty while eating so do it. I only drink water so drinking anything other than water isn't a problem for me. I wonder why its considered to not be good to drink during meals. Wonder if it effects digestion.

16. insertkittyface

insertkittyfaceActive Member

Threads:
    Most of the time I do, but it's usually water unless I'm out at a restaurant, then I'll have soda, but where I do, they always give lemon water before meals, so that's really nice too.

17. chiofthenorns

chiofthenornsActive Member

Threads:
    I just drink water during meals. I do not drink soda, iced tea, and other sugary drinks often because they make me feel bloated. However, I cannot skip drinking water during meals because I choke easily.

18. calebmelvern

calebmelvernActive Member

Threads:
    My friends find it weird that I don't drink at all during meals. I even try not to drink before meals unless I'm really thirsty. This is because I feel like I'm stuffed and can't eat as much as I should when drinking before or during eating.

19. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Drinking during meals can be a risk, yes. Depends on the health of the person I guess; but anyone who eats a typically unhealthy diet risks injury to their stomachs and intestines when they dilute their stomach acids with drinks during meals. Your body has a job to do.. the acids in your stomach are extremely important, so when you slow them down by diluting them, you risk a lot of issues. Most people these days will suffer from some sort of digestive issues at some point in their lives and it starts with what you put into it.

20. Strykstar

StrykstarActive Member

Threads:
    Wouldn't water then have the positive effect of making you fuller faster, meaning you would eat less?
    It's hard for me to not drink during meals, it serves both as a palate cleanser and it makes it so I don't eat as much.