Drinking in music festivals

Discussion in Food & Drink started by Peninha • May 31, 2014.

1. Peninha

PeninhaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    So I finally went to see the Rolling Stones in Rock in Rio Lisbon and the prices for the drinks were super-expensive as expected. My radar kept working though and I bought half-liter beers (3,5€!!) instead of the 20 centiliter ones, I shared them with my wife and it was a way of saving lol. Could you have made the same? :)

2. JoanMcWench

JoanMcWenchActive Member

Threads:
    Prices for drinks are expensive at ANYTHING you buy a ticket to. Sporting events, plays, concerts, the movie theater. It really doesn't matter. It's a license to gouge.

3. Peninha

PeninhaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Yeah, that's true lol, but at the same time we already know we are going for and it's not so often so, while you are there just try to make the most of it. Also, those guys selling the drinks are strictly instructed to fill the glasses up to the lines, it's insane, it's really a huge money making machine and we are what makes the machine move... :)

4. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I've seen multiple reports that showed the "large" beers were actually no larger than the small beers being sold at many venues. The cups are just a different shape to make it look like you are getting more - so they are actually ripping you off. This was going on at professional baseball stadiums. I'm surprised it hasn't turned into a major lawsuit yet.

I hate how expensive the drinks are at these concerts, so I will try to sneak in my booze if possible then just order a tall soda and pour the liquor into it as I go. Otherwise I simply go drink at the nearby dive bars before or after the concert, instead of at the concert itself. The other thing that I try to be wary of, is drinking too much at concerts, because then I will have to keep going to the bathroom, which is a pain in the ass - especially trying to find your way back to your friends/family there.

5. Peninha

PeninhaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Ouch, that sound scary really, so they were selling large for the average measure? That's called robbing... :(

That was not the case in Rock in Rio though, the cup size difference was quite obvious, one took 0,2 liters and the other 0,5 liters, all from Carlsberg (or ws it Heineken?...), they only had two measures.

6. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Of course they will take advantage of the season, it's pretty much like when it's Valentines season and the prices of the flowers skyrocket. I think it would be wise to just bring your own drinks to the concert if the guards will allow it instead of just buying at the venue. With that said, it's a good thing that I don't drink, at least I couldn't care less if there was booze or not at the area.

7. Peninha

PeninhaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Ahah, that would be great, but there's no alcohol allowed in the concerts unless you buy it there. You can't even carry water in a plastic bottle, for that you need to leave the cap there. Good thing you don't drink, no better way not to pay full! :p