Driving long distances just to enjoy a sale?

Discussion in Stores Reviews, Comments & Complaints started by sidd230 • Feb 24, 2014.

1. sidd230

sidd230Member

Threads:
    I know its not the most economical thing to do but sometimes when I see those great Micro Center sales, I am tempted to drive across two states just to buy some computer parts. How do I stop this urge?

2. daimashin

daimashinActive Member

Threads:
    Although, I've never did something like this for a sale but I did drove to another state before just to buy a game earlier. My cousin who live in another state told me that a shop over there broke street date and I was really hyped about the game so I drove to my cousin's place just to pick it up. Just think that it's not really worth it just because of a sale since the time and gas used on it can probably cover the cost of the money saved from such sales.

3. Mayvin

MayvinActive Member

Threads:
    I've never done anything like that, and I can't imagine that there wouldn't be decent enough sales in your home state that you would drive to another state to get some computer parts. I could possibly see that happening if I had a business selling computer parts and there was a huge blow out sale, in bulk that I couldn't get anywhere else then maybe I would do it.

4. Gelsemium

GelsemiumWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I usually do the maths, does it pay off to drive X miles to save on what I want to buy? I am very rational about this, there's no point in driving long distances to "save" money if you're going to spend that on gas...

5. marmunmrhundun

marmunmrhundunBanned

Threads:
    I have done this many times, and to be honest I actually don't have too much of a problem with it. I actually like driving long distances to enjoy a sale because it really depends on the quantity of what I get. If I am driving a really long distance to just get two items, I would not much likely want to go, however if it is worth it I will have no problem doing so.

6. sidd230

sidd230Member

Threads:
    But when I see the latest i7 for 100$ off, my mind stops processing all logic. I need help. :p

7. daimashin

daimashinActive Member

Threads:
    I don't know, man. Your brain seems to stop functioning whenever you see such offers lol. I understand the feeling as I too feel the same sometimes but I still have self control. I guess what you can do is ask a friend or family to talk some sense into you whenever it happens.

8. sidd230

sidd230Member

Threads:
    Or you know, they could open a micro centre in my city. That would be great. If only there deals were online too.

9. rossonomous

rossonomousActive Member

Threads:
    Go online and find computer parts there! If you find a good piece of hardware offline, you can almost definitely find it online for the same price if not cheaper!

10. sidd230

sidd230Member

Threads:
    Actually, I buy most of my parts from Newegg and Amazon. But Microcenter has some exclusive deals like free motherboards with processors. 100$ off latest processors and stuff.

11. isabbbela

isabbbelaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Aside from traveling to go to an outlet, or take advantage of a trip to buy stuff, I've never traveled long to go to one store or one mall. I would if it was something I really wanted and it was worth it financially, but I've never been in a situation like that before.

12. Trent

TrentMember

Threads:
    Well that depends. If you are going to be doing some heavy shopping and you will save a lot of cash with the sales offers then it's very much worth it.

13. jubvman

jubvmanNew Member

Threads:
    Agree with this. You money you spend on gas and what not will probably outweigh the money you save from the sale. I live in the UK so I've never really done something like this. But I would recommend just shopping for sales online, much easier :D

14. Ace

AceNew Member

Threads:
    This is never worth it. I'm from Ontario, Canada and there are often a ton of sales in Buffalo for clothing, electronics, etc. I sometimes venture out there with my kids and the cost of gas never outweighs the savings.
    I say that if you enjoy travel, then go for it.

15. mameeker@cuse

mameeker@cuseNew Member

Threads:
    Just do a quick calculation to see if you are saving any net money. Cost + Gas< Online price + shipping. Or else your better off buying online.

16. sidd230

sidd230Member

Threads:
    Oh I never tough of it that way. Bulk shopping could save a lot. Now what do I do with all these I7s?

17. FatesWing

FatesWingActive Member

Threads:
    I personally have never seen a deal great enough to really drive the distance for. This is probably due to the fact that we live in what seems like an all access digital age. If a store has it on sale, I bet that Amazon or Ebay already has it at that price. I do think though, that it'd be cool to want something so much that you go on a road trip for it. I think the only thing I'd really travel for would be like for a concert that isn't going to visit my city. Then I could see myself really enjoying the whole journey there and back. If I'm driving far just for an object, after I purchase it there would be nothing exciting anymore. Just my opinion.

18. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    It's during those times where you need to stock up. If you're going to drive that far away, then you need to make it worth your while, ya know? That doesn't mean spend money on things you don't really need, but you should put off frivolous purchases that aren't necessities until you make a trip for all of them. Check out other stores in the area, too, that you might not have in your own area, and stock up there, too.

19. sidd230

sidd230Member

Threads:
    I don't think you have heard of this store called micro center. They have absolutely amazing deals. In Store exclusive though.