Drones as a mean of delivery?

Discussion in Shipping Services started by Gelsemium • Jul 24, 2014.

1. Gelsemium

GelsemiumWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I was just reading that Amazon is considering to use drones as a way to deliver their packages and I find this a little hard to happen. First, it's a huge investment and second, if nobody is at home how will the drones make the delivery? More, anybody can shoot the drone down to take the package. What are your thoughts on this?

2. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I also am not in favor of using machines to deliver packages to people. They might get lost, and if the drones just drop the packages in front of the homes of people, then if someone isn't home then someone just might steal it. It would be better if a human being is in charge of delivering the packages.

3. erik120

erik120Active Member

Threads:
    I don't agree with drone transports because they are liable to get interference from external factors, if not downright shot down for the cargo they are transporting. It is a bad idea and they should maybe at least consider some form of underground transport instead of aerial transport. Because like that you wouldn't need a human element to control that the transcation goes as planned, with a drone there is no telling what can happen and what kind of security would you need for that. cameras absolutely everywhere? another excuse to ppek into our private lives by the government, I say bollocks to that.

4. troutski

troutskiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    The biggest thing that most people overlook is the huge liability drone usage would pose for a large company with use around the country. If a drone malfunctions and lands on someone, then it's going to injure that person can cost Amazon millions of dollars. We're not going to see drones in our skies anytime soon, except for the ones that are already there. You're not going to get your next Amazon package by drone, and that might never happen in our lifetimes, which is probably for the best.

5. daimashin

daimashinActive Member

Threads:
    Although I think that the idea is neat and futuristic but we have not reached that level technologically yet. It's great that they can save fuel and manpower but this also effectively eliminates human labor which is bad. Besides, drones aren't smart enough to determine if the person on the receiving end is the right person. Unless, they are talking about remote controlled drones where there's a pilot at the table supervising the delivery.

6. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I'm sure they will be putting in some safety measure for security. I'm guessing drones would probably have cameras on them or something in that vein so that if ever someone does shoot them down then they would at least have footage to serve as evidence as to who did it. That's just a guess but again, I'm sure they will have already thought about all the possible risks involved.

7. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Using drones could ensure that customers get the products they've bought faster but those who opt for that same-day delivery will have to pay twice the regular shipping fee. That would be mean though you get the item you've bought fast, you'll be paying so much for it that it would be cheaper to get into a store and make your purchase there.

For those who buy from Amazon because it's cheaper to buy online, I'm sure same day delivery isn't something they'd want to test out.

#7Aug 12, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 12, 2014
  8. PhilA

PhilAMember

Threads:
    I honestly believe this is all just a marketing scam to generate some publicity. There are so many problems associated with using drones it's unreal, plus as the OP said people might take them down, but why use a gun. .. a good magnet should do the job. I guess it is possible that there will be a couple of instances of a drone making a delivery on extra special purchases, but never expect it to become common place.

9. Gelsemium

Threads:
    That might be true PhilA, I am seeing a lot of obstacles to make drone delivery profitable, at least in the short run, but in a few years who knows? Technology is always advancing and once rules or laws and infrastructures are created I don't doubt that drones can play an important role in deliveries.

10. wowtgp

wowtgpActive Member

Threads:
    Delivery by drones? That would be awesome. At the same time, though, it's really risky. What if the goods are stolen on the way? Who will be responsible for that? Drones? No way. I think., I don't need to worry about it as they must have these obvious issues figured out in advance.

11. deathbyprayer

deathbyprayerActive Member

Threads:
    I'm totally not in favor of this. There are just a lot of things that can happen with these drones and I think Amazon will have to either invent a perfect drone service first before they can do this. There's no way it's going happen soon I think.

12. beccagreen

beccagreenActive Member

Threads:
    It sounds cool but it's very risky. What if there was a storm? What if the drone got stuck in a tree or something? Or what if the drone ran out of battery or went dead midair? It seems pretty cool at first but if you think about it, it's not that convenient. I'd rather pay extra for a sure delivery rather than cross my fingers all the time. Not unless of course they built a super drone delivery service.

13. Gelsemium

Threads:
    Those are legitimate concerns becca, that is why it makes some sense in my head that this is something to be happening in the long run or is just some marketing move to make Amazon look good. Either cases, in some particular situations drones can be helpful, but in all deliveries it seems pretty impossible to me.