Dry Hair Remedies/Products

Discussion in Health & Beauty started by tjshort05 • Aug 30, 2012.

1. tjshort05

tjshort05Active Member

Threads:
    I have very thick, healthy hair. However, lately it's felt dry and has tangles after taking a shower. I use conditioner and a product called Biosilk. They do both help some, but they still don't get the tangles out. I was wondering if anyone had something better?

2. dhintaka

dhintakaMember

Threads:
    Hair usually gets tangled because it's dry so you must always keep it moist. Regular oiling, combining, and conditioning is essential. You should be oiling your hair at least twice a week, possibly more if it is excessively dry. Olive oil is excellent for the hair. There are a lot of serums that are available for that be applied on hair to keep it moist. Especially if you have long hair, you must also go for regular trimming.

3. classicnyer

classicnyerActive Member

Threads:
    Olive oil is excellent, and so is coconut oil, or almond or jojoba oil. My hair used to have a tendency to get tangled as well, and you're right, keeping it oiled and conditioned goes a very long way. You might want to try combing it out while deep conditioning it.

4. iluvmario

iluvmarioActive Member

Threads:
    I like to use a number of oils:
    Olive
    Emu
    Jojoba
    Castor
    Alma

You can also use honey and eggs in your hair for more moisture. I make sure to condition my hair every 1-2 weeks under the dryer for around 45 minutes. I switch off between protein and moisturizing conditioner and that does the trick for me.

5. jaimie_lorraine

jaimie_lorraineMember

Threads:
    I am a receptionist at a salon so I get to test out a lot of great products! Like you, I have thick and sometimes dry/brittle hair. What I have found to work wonders is Moroccan Oil. When used in small proportions, it makes my hair so extremely soft and shiny. It is a little more expensive than I would like, but when you find a product that does what this can do I will pay the extra money for it. Even though it is more expensive, I have had my bottle for almost 7 months and have not run out yet. Other than Moroccan oil I would suggest that you should get regular trims to avoid the snarls that you are talking about. When the ends of your hair are damaged and split they tend to snag on each other causing the snarls. I hope you find something that works for your hair!

6. sandooch

sandoochActive Member

Threads:
    I, too, am a big fan of coconut oil as a hot oil treatment. Since I've started using it, my hair feels nice and healthy and has a nice shine to it. I do it about once every month or so.

7. Lena51

Lena51Active Member

Threads:
    I use coconut oil as well for my hair and it will grow your hair and keep it nice and thick. I also use coconut milk along with that to make it stay nice and strong. I do the coconut milk almost every day and you will be able to tell the difference in your hair. This is a wonderful product to use each and every day.

8. Pocs

PocsActive Member

Threads:
    I'll have to jump on the band wagon here. Coconut oil is my favorite followed by olive oil. If my hair is feeling particularly dry or damaged a make a mousse from both coconut and olive oil with avocado and heavy cream. Sounds alittle strange, I got the recipe from a friend who works at a spa. It works great. You should really try it.

9. Kaybee517

Kaybee517Active Member

Threads:
    It sounds like you probably need to take time to do a good deep conditioning treatment. I like the VO5 Hot Oil treatment or you can use your regular conditioner mixed with regular extra virgin olive oil at home. Mix together and apply to your hair and let it sit for 30 + minutes with a cap on and wash out. That should replace that moisture in your hair. It works for me.

10. tjshort05

tjshort05Active Member

Threads:
    Thank you all for your replies. I am going to try a few of these out to see which one is best for my hair. I did have my hair trimmed about 3 months ago, so maybe it's time for another one. Also, I'm sure the chlorine in the pool didn't help.

11. Farrah

FarrahActive Member

Threads:
    Ok, I just had to come back after stalking this thread the other day. My hair has been very crispy due to a over process I did. I go and get hair treatments and even though I haven't even washed it yet, it gets crispy within a couple days. Well, I read this thread, and even though I was afraid it would be too greasy, I covered my hair with olive oil and put on my shower cap for 45 minutes. I shampooed and conditioned with Nioxin, and OMG, all of the fried crispiness was gone. Now I know I don't even have to keep going to the salon every week for the treatment. From now on I am going to do this olive oil once a week. Thumbs up and much gratitude for the tip!

12. gina121

gina121Active Member

Threads:
    That's great! I've always used a concoction of olive oil and egg white as a hair mask, especially for a few weeks after getting a chemical treatment done at the salon. So happy to hear that a simple home remedy actually sorts out most of our beauty problems.