Dslr Or Point & Shoot Camera?

Discussion in Computers, Electronics & Gadgets started by Sunshine • Jan 26, 2015.

1. Sunshine

SunshineActive Member

Threads:
    I recently decided I want to get more seriously into photography and want to try to learn to use a DSLR camera. I went to purchase the Canon Rebel and the salesman completely talked me out of it. He said I would need to purchase more lens for longer distance magnification, and did I really want to be hauling around a huge bag, changing lens all the time? So instead he steered me to the most expensive point and shoots.

What are your thoughts on the two types of cameras? Do you have any advice?

I want the camera for 3 main uses:
    1) taking professional looking close up photos, such as of flowers, etc.
    2) taking professional looking landscape photos, where I can zoom in on far distances
    3) taking better quality photos of my kids, far away at long distances, such as in a school play

Any thoughts?

2. hellavu

hellavuActive Member

Threads:
    To be honest, the clerk probably reacted this way because many people are "into" photography and want to look like a photograph, but have no idea about exposure and aperture and how to operate a camera on anything but "modes" and "automatic" -- and this is basic camera things that you can learn on most point-and-shoots camera, too.

Now if you could be swayed, then it could be because you did not do enough research and as such, the clerk sensed it might not be worth it for you to make such a huge investment.

For your purposes, you could also go for a compromise and get a bridge camera. You could even look into getting a second-hand bridge camera, if you research the models and capacities, maybe it fits your needs good enough.

3. tournique

tourniqueActive Member

Threads:
    Well, what you want to do basically needs 2 or 3 different lens. You need a good macro lens for close up photos (flowers and anything else). You also need a good tele camera for far away subjects and/or a portrait camera. DSLR is not that easy as it sounds and you can have same or better results with point and shoot when you have the same skill/knowledge. When you want to min/max, then DSLR is the way to go. If you want to snap quick pics without having to go through frustration, point and shoot is the way to go.

4. Sunshine

SunshineActive Member

Threads:
    Thanks for your thoughts!

@tournique@tournique, do you know of any good point and shoot cameras? I have had a number of them and I get so frustrated with the picture quality, which is why I wanted to consider going to DSLR. I think at this point I have been talked out of DSLR, I don't think it would be a good economical decision considering all the different uses I want. I would rather just have all my uses available to me in one camera for now.

Can anyone recommend a top of the line type point and shoot that gives the highest quality, professional looking photos?

5. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I invested in a Canon DSLR and a whole slew of lenses and filters, flashes, and such a few years ago. In total I spent several grand. While I don't necessarily regret my purchases, I am starting to get a little nervous that some of that equipment is going to become obsolete faster than I had hoped for. My big concern is if Nikon and Canon are going to overhaul their whole line of professional cameras and go mirrorless with everything. That could also mean the need for all new lenses designed specifically for these new types of camera bodies. The other issue is if they change up their sensor sizes as well, and come out with something larger than the standard "full frame" sensor in their top of the line camera bodies.

DSLR's are rather bulky and not as convenient to shoot with, so that's certainly something to consider. In addition, the bulk of your expenses are going to come from buying different lenses and other accessories. The camera body itself is not your biggest purchase.

The issue that the camera sales person was warning you about was that all the entry level to mid range DLSR's have smaller sensors in them. When a lens says it's 50mm, it's intended to be used with a full frame sensor. If that same 50mm lens is projecting an image on to a smaller sensor, it's basically cropping out part of the perimeter of the image. In other words, shooting with a 50mm lens on a smaller sensor is kind of like shooting with a 70mm lens instead, or that expensive 18mm lens is going to produce images that look more like a 35mm field of view.

The top of the line Canon Powershot S and Powershot G series cameras are excellent point and shoot options. Both have the majority of manual controls you would expect from a DSLR in a tiny compact body. They also have many physical dials and buttons, rather than cramming everything into drop down menus on the screen so you have faster access to those functions.

If you've got some deeper pockets, the Sony RX100 is also a pretty popular one among camera enthusiasts, but it costs about $300 more.

6. deathbyprayer

deathbyprayerActive Member

Threads:
    You said the clerk steered you to the most expensive point and shoot? That's really odd. I would say SLR's are way better than even the most expensive point and shoot, not unless that point and shoot have some sort of all in one camera lens. There are difference lenses for each type of photography, you can't really expect to get great landscape photos using a lens that is made for something else entirely. Wide angle and Macro my friend.

7. Sunshine

SunshineActive Member

Threads:
    Maybe he did that because I'm a blonde haired chick with a little kid o_O and he didn't see me being able to wrangle my child on top of three different camera lenses :eek:

But in thinking it over I do think it's too pricey of an investment, considering all the different uses I want out of it will cost me over $1000 dollars.

Maybe if I can at least find a good point and shoot with a good long distance lens that I can use for my kids... if I can get that need taken care of, then maybe later I can invest in the SLR for my more artistic hobby like wants.

8. Beautyspin

BeautyspinMember

Threads:
    Ohiotom76 is bang on target. I too got caught up in the "I want to become a professional photographer" frenzy and bought a Canon EOS Rebel. For the first year, I really enjoyed using it. Then I realized that, when a group goes on hiking or some other trip, I would be the one to lug the camera while the rest of them are carefree. On top of that, since I am the expert, I end up taking photos so I am not in most of the photos. And to get good pictures, you have to travel a lot, just because you have a camera. If there is no urgency, I would wait for mirrorless cameras to evolve a bit. They are a bit more portable.

9. tournique

tourniqueActive Member

Threads:
    Ohiotom76 summed up what i've been going through since I decided to buy a DSLR.