Duct tape fashion

Discussion in Fashion & Apparel started by ChanellG • Mar 8, 2013.

1. ChanellG

ChanellGActive Member

Threads:
    Using duct tape for accessories such as wallets and purses, and even entire dresses has become a big thing. Duct tape comes in a variety of colors and prints and is even used to give older shoes new life. Tonight's Project Runway episode featured a duct tape prom dress challenge. My question to you is, would you wear duct tape fashion or is it too craft project?

2. Parker

ParkerWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I haven't watched Project Runaway in years! Nice to hear that they have very creative challenges.

I wouldn't wear any clothing or fashion accessory made out of duct tape. It's just not for me. I would still love to see what the challengers made out of the duct tape though.

3. maddie

maddieActive Member

Threads:
    Here are some duct tape dresses..
    Duct_Tape_Dress_by_Blackfire15.
    ducttape.

I wouldn't think of wearing those... there are so many websites deciated o duct tape fashion.. i thought that was just a passing fancy.. LOL but it looks like the thing has actually caught on.

4. Sandra Piddock

Sandra PiddockExpert

Threads:
    Sorry - I couldn't do that, although those dresses are very creative, particularly the pink and black one. I like my clothes to feel soft and natural against my skin, which is why I only ever wear leather as a jacket, not as a skirt or trousers. It's amazing what people can do with duct tape, but I can't help thinking it would probably be cheaper to go out and buy the dress in the first place. And how many sponge downs would it take before you had to dispose of it? I wouldn't think it was very eco friendly either. Not a fan, sorry.

5. Parker

ParkerWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Those dresses are very creative. I wouldn't wear them either. I really don't like the shininess of the dresses. I do applaud people's creativity.

This is the winning Project Runway dress. It looks great, but it's still shiny.

duct tape challenge.

6. Anna Blush

Anna BlushActive Member

Threads:
    These dresses look like they could be the winning dress on the show Project Runway. I personally wouldn't ever be able to wear this although they are very creative.
    They look more of a gag gift type of an idea but not for everyday clothing. I can't imagine wearing a duct tape dress during the summer. I think I would be sweating like crazy from it.

7. ChanellG

ChanellGActive Member

Threads:
    @Parker, this season of P.R. is all team challenges - that would make me nuts! I don't think it's been as good as previous seasons, but the fashions have been interesting at least. Well, most of the time, lol.

@Maddie, I like the pink and black dress, but I don't like the shine. The grey/silver one is less creative and the fit is off. If it had a more full skirt and a better waistline it might be more attractive. I like soft clothes that move so that backing would have to allow for that.

@Sandra, understood, though if the dress moved like taffeta it might work.

@Anna, good point! You wouldn't want to wear one of these during summer!

8. Parker

ParkerWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Dang! That must create a lot of drama. I can't imagine that the contestants are happy because they don't have a chance to shine individually.

I just got so bored with the show because my favorite rarely wins and there have only been a couple of winners who have really made a name for him or herself.

9. ladybug252

ladybug252New Member

Threads:
    Wow, I can't believe that dress is made out of duct tape! I use duct tape for lots of things, but don't think I'd wear it.

10. difrancprod

difrancprodBanned

Threads:
    I haven't watched Project Runway for a long time but this is definitely one bold move and idea. These dresses I'm seeing here made of duct tapes are definitely amazing. Not something I'd wear on a regular day though but I admire the creativity!

11. ChanellG

ChanellGActive Member

Threads:
    They always do an unconventional challenge with unusual materials each season. You never know what it will be but it's always challenging. I think last season it was candy and there were some really good dresses; this is the first time though I think they've done duct tape.

12. thelovelyone0

thelovelyone0Banned

Threads:
    When it comes to fashion, I am all for trying out new things but I think that placing duct tape on clothing is a bit extreme. I saw the above pictures of the duct tape dresses, and they actually look nice. One of the posts mentioned that it looks nice but they wouldn't be able to wear it, and I concur. I don't think that I would be bold enough to wear it in public because I would be worried about people realizing that my dress is made out of duct tape. It is creative, and very cute though...just not my style.

13. Parker

ParkerWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Yesterday while shopping at Target, I saw a couple of duct tape craft kits. These kits had two rolls of colorful duct tape in them. The package picture showed a couple of completed handbags made out of the duct tape. I guess that duct tape is becoming the it thing now.

14. steph84

steph84Active Member

Threads:
    I know that duct tape has an annual contest where you create a prom dress out of tape and can win some big money. I just wouldn't risk my prom memories for that contest money, unless I knew my dress would knock it out of the park. I have seen tons of zebra tape wallets online for sale. They just look tacky to me, but that is just my opinion. Whatever floats your boat.

15. ChanellG

ChanellGActive Member

Threads:
    I have a craft book that I acquired a few years ago that shows how to make a few different purse styles. One of the projects in the book is for making a purse out of duct tape. I think you could make something really cute, but you'd have to then put something over the tape so the edges wouldn't get all nasty.

I was thinking about this as well; I think I would have to do what some of the P.R. designers did and cut the duct tape into pieces so that the finished "fabric" would have more movement.

16. pafjlh

pafjlhActive Member

Threads:
    I remember this episode of Project Runway. My first reaction when I heard about the challenge was how do you make an outfit out of duct tape. But the designers really rose up to that challenge. I also remember the one some seasons back where they were brought to a dollar store and told that they had to make an outfit using the items found there. Does anyone else remember this challenge? Once again I was amazed at the creativity that came forth and how well the designers did. Yes, I love to watch Project Runway as well, I guess its because I like to see the new fashions that the contestants come up with.

17. ChanellG

ChanellGActive Member

Threads:
    I've seen duct tape fashions before, but the thing for me on P.R. was how it was going to go with the designers working in teams. That can''t possibly be fun to deal with all those personalities from challenge to challenge.

I love those dollar store challenges! It's really interesting sometimes to see what the designers come up with when they can't use regular fabric to construct their looks. What did you think of the candy challenge?

18. vpresson

vpressonWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I think it looks cool when I see it on tv or online but personally i'd never do the whole duct tape fashion it's just a little much for me lol

19. nash22

nash22Active Member

Threads:
    They are indeed very creative and cool. But honestly I couldn't do it, just not for me that's just taking it to the extreme. That's very tacky.

20. ChanellG

ChanellGActive Member

Threads:
    I agree that it can be very creative, but it's not something for every day. Some stuff looks really good, at least in photos, like the winning dress on Project Runway, but I don't like shiny and stiff clothing made from "real" fabric, so I can't even think of a time or place for me to wear a duct tape dress unless it was a special event or fund raiser.