DVD vs. Blu-Ray; difference?

Discussion in Movies, Music & Games started by andrew320 • Jun 20, 2012.

1. andrew320

andrew320Active Member

Threads:
    A recently got in touch with an old friend of mine and he gets all of the latest gadgets. We came up with a discussion on Blu-Ray and a standard DVD. He told me he will always purchase a Blu-Ray film rather than a DVD because it provides an amazing picture viewing experience. However, a Blu-Ray disc is rather expensive.

I personally don't really care and I find the quality of a DVD quite good. I really don't feel like spending $40 as oppose to $5 because a few touch-ups.

Thoughts? Do you purchase Blu-Ray over DVD? Does the money not bother you?

2. Adeal4u

Adeal4uActive Member

Threads:
    I purchase Blu-ray's also, but they're not all expensive. It depends on the movie, but some Blu-ray movies will come with three copies of the movie. There's the DVD, Blu-ray, and one for your computer. I like Blu-ray better because of the clearer picture. I can't watch DVD's anymore because I can tell the difference in quality. If you want to enjoy a movie in the best possible quality, then Blu-ray is definitely for you. I can understand that some of them are expensive, but you can find some that are reasonably priced.

3. Sandra Piddock

Sandra PiddockExpert

Threads:
    I recently bought a boxed set of 'Dirty Harry' movies for my brother's birthday, and the Blu-Ray version was cheaper than the DVD. My son bought me 'The Phantom of the Opera' 25th anniversary set, and the edition with a blu-ray as well as DVD was actually cheaper as well. I think they're offering older movies on blu-ray to promote them, so that people will buy new movies on blu-ray.

I don't have a blu-ray player, so I can't comment on picture quality, but everyone I speak to says blu-ray is superior. Personally, I'm happy with DVD, but then I'm not the type who must have the latest technology.

4. razelia

razeliaActive Member

Threads:
    Some movies only offer those bundles that come with the blu-ray version, so some of us don't have much of a choice. Personally though, I do find the picture quality way better. I play them on my PS3 with an HDTV - excellent.

5. Magic Pixel

Magic PixelMember

Threads:
    The jump in quality from DVD to Blu-Ray is somewhat similar to the difference between VHS tapes and DVDs. A DVD has an average storage capacity of about 4GB of data, while a Blu Ray disk's is 25GB. Because of this the quality is significantly better and this is also why 3D movies are now accessible to home viewers.

6. BarelyHangingOn

BarelyHangingOnActive Member

Threads:
    I have this conversation just recently with a co-worker who went out and bought a DVD player. He didn't see any difference either. It's like night and day to me with the picture quality and the sound quality as well. I can tell the difference between a BR and DVD when I get it pumping through my sound system.

BR has been around so long now I didn't think there would still be that much of a price difference but I guess that depends on where you are.

7. Esperahol

EsperaholActive Member

Threads:
    I don't see a difference, but then again it's possible one is there. Personally I think sometimes it is just a matter of expectations and since BR is supposed to be better it ends up being better. Someone should run a test on this.

8. Waynefire

WaynefireActive Member

Threads:
    I only buy the Blu-Ray when they are on sale. I know this sounds sad to say, but this is the only time I buy them because I cannot afford them otherwise. Even if I have the DVD, I will upgrade to a Blu-Ray to let the DVD get a rest if I like the movie.

9. Zaturo

ZaturoMember

Threads:
    Come now, the Blu-Ray version of a movie is like watching a new movie altogether. Now here's a trickier question: Which is better quality for Blu-Ray MKV or MP4? It might not be as noticeable as Dvd vs Blu-Ray, but there is a difference.

10. CuriousJ

CuriousJNew Member

Threads:
    The difference in video and audio quality between Blu-Ray and DVD is HUGE. I kind of wish I never bought a Blu-Ray player sometimes, because I can no longer watch DVDs. Every time I try and watch a DVD now, I think of how much better the movie would look and sound if it was on Blu-Ray. This wouldn't be a problem if I didn't have some movies in my collection which haven't yet had a Blu-Ray release.

The slightly higher price of Blu-Rays are totally worth it.

As for the people who can't see/hear a difference, it's probably because your TV and/or audio system isn't up to spec.

11. Marchese

MarcheseMember

Threads:
    my family went nuts with the whole blue ray crap, but I didn't. i don't see the point really. It looks a bit better but i don't really see the point in spending more for a few touch ups.