Dying Easter Eggs

Discussion in Seasonal & Holidays started by jcort • Feb 5, 2015.

1. jcort

jcortMember

Threads:
    For those of us dyeing Easter eggs in the coming weeks:

-Using straight vinegar instead of vinegar/water mix will result in brighter colors.

-You don't NEED to use a kit. Food coloring works just as well. You could also experiment with kool-aid packets at a higher concentration than the drink mix would suggest.

-Drawing on eggs with crayons before coloring makes for interesting patterns.

Any other egg tips out there?

Edited to add: Sorry for misspelling "dyeing" in the title. It really gives Easter eggs a different meaning. ;)

2. pafjlh

pafjlhActive Member

Threads:
    Yes, when I was a kid we use to die eggs. My mother use to use the kit that was sold in the store or food dye like you said. The smell wasn't the greatest because of the vinegar and there was also the mess from the color liquid that splashed at times but we always use to do this outside so it wasn't too bad.

In recent years when I have decorated eggs I have used the plastic sleeves that are sold in kits in the store. These are easier to use and are less mess. All it takes is boiling water placing the egg in the loose sleeve then placing it carefully into the water. The plastic sleeve will melt in the boiling water and will then mold around the egg.

3. Rosyrain

RosyrainActive Member

Threads:
    We will be dyeing eggs with the kids this year and I am going to try the food coloring and straight vinegar method. I really do not like dyeing eggs because it is a messy project, but I do it so that the kids will have fun and have some memories when they get older. I much prefer to get the plastic eggs and fill them with fun toys and candy, but I don't get my way with that.

4. Zyni

ZyniWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I recently heard of the Kool-Aid method. You could make some fun colors with that instead of just basic colors found in most kits. I've also been reading about making your own food dyes from various fruits and vegetables and things, and those are supposed to work for eggs too. These days, I usually only do one dozen with my youngest, since my other kids are grown and moved out. If she wants to do some.

I usually pick up kits or those things that look like Q-tips with the dye in them at the after Easter sales, so I still have some from past post-holiday sales to use up. I think I have one kit and one Q-tip thingy set left. I paid 20 cents for the kit and a dime for the other.

5. DancingLady

DancingLadyActive Member

Threads:
    I never got to do this as a kid. I always kind of wanted to though. Great tips. I may one day dye some eggs just to do it, for my own entertainment.

6. IcyFirefly

IcyFireflyActive Member

Threads:
    When my children were little, we dying eggs for Easter morning. We used crayons, draw on the eggs, and some time glue some ribbons. It really depends on what we have on hands, and our moods; the children can really be creative coming up with fantastic designs.

7. xTinx

xTinxWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Well you can always use colored pens or sharpies and color or draw patterns on the eggs any way you like. I hear powder tie-dye sachets are cheap so you can buy a whole pack and drop eggs on a container of water-dissolved dye. Adding sequins and beads will also add more oomph to your Easter eggs.