E-books

Discussion in Books, eBooks & Audio Books started by Zyni • Apr 22, 2016.

1. Zyni

ZyniWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Do you buy a lot of e-books or do you usually look for free ones first? Do you find that there is a good selection of free ones on most topics that interest you? When or if you do by ebooks, how much are you willing to pay for them? Many are offered at reasonable prices, but then again I've seen some that are quite a bit more. Are you willing to pay the price of a "real" book to buy an ebook? Does it depend on the topic?

What's the most you'd pay for one and what would cause you to pay more than usual?

2. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I will not spend any money buying ebooks.

The last time I bought an Ebook I was ripped off. Spent $10 bucks on a 10 page ebook that was filled mostly with links I could have found if only I'd used Google to find what I wanted. Since then when searching for information on any subject, I'll use search engines to get the information and when I want to read something for entertainment, I'll find a free ebook somewhere on the net.

3. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I do spend a hideous amount of money on eBooks on a monthly basis. The most I've paid for an eBook is $5, though. I get either romance or suspense thriller novels. I've shopped around for free ones but almost always end up sorely disappointed because the quality tends to be VERY BAD. Not very well written, grammatical/typological errors everywhere......just a hot mess!! So unless I know the author's work, I no longer get the free ones hehe

4. maxen57

maxen57Active Member

Threads:
    If I could find a good PDF copy of what I'm looking for, I'm most likely to download it despite of the possible dangers like a virus. I was able to download free copies of what I want and thankfully, I've had no problems yet. I did purchase good ebooks from Google Play before and the most expensive that I had to pay is around $10. I'm into inspirational, mystery and young adult fiction. Google Play has a lot of selections and there's this one book that I would really like to buy if only I could afford it now.

5. DreekLass

DreekLassWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I think that it deepens upon where you buy the ebooks from. If you are buying it from a seller who has good reputation on a forum, then I'd still be skeptical. I don't buy ebooks in any event, much less from someone who is not published and is just selling on forums. On top of that, I can get most ebooks for free. Yes, there are those that are not online for free, but I will often do without them.

6. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I do buy some e-books especially reference ones because they won't be free and are cheaper and lighter than the physical versions. I bought a writers guide recently and also there were reductions on some compilations. They were only $0.99 and included a free audiobook, so there are some good deals. because some e-book versions are better laid out than others.

7. DreekLass

Threads:
    See, I don;t mind buying ebooks if there are within that price range. But with books there is no promise that you are going to find value within the book or enjoy it when you see it on the shelf, or on an online retailer. So you are paying for being able to read books, not because you actually enjoy the book necessarily. That is not a chance I like to take.

8. GemmaRowlands

GemmaRowlandsActive Member

Threads:
    I don't ever buy eBooks. The only books that I have on my Kindle are the ones that are available for free, and I love buying those because it means that lesser known authors get some sales, and I get to save money at the same time. I will always leave reviews for free books, as I think that it something that is very important indeed as that is what can help the author's name to get known in the future.

9. NickJonathan98

NickJonathan98Member

Threads:
    I am sometimes buying eBooks that I like on iTunes. However, most of times I will just order a real book to read because I really love the feel of holding a book, the smell of pages and the thrill to turn to the next page to see what's going to happen next.

But yes, sometimes when I travel, I can't put a dozen of books in my luggage so I'd rather use my iPad to read the books I love.

10. DreekLass

Threads:
    Me too. I once wanted to be a writer, but it seems as though it is too difficult to get your name or work out there no matter how good it may be. As a reader, I am always hyper aware of buying a lesser known author or book, and then not enjoying it. What then? Then I have wasted both my time and money.

11. lindbergh

lindberghWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I've bought a couple of ebooks and they're mainly about making money online. I can say that I haven't been satisfied with most of my purchases. All of them were all hype. But when I actually got the eBooks, the content weren't really useful for me. However, theres a purchase that really was worth it - Google Sniper. I've got a lot of info here.

So, when buying Ebooks, be careful. Don't believe the hype. Search for reviews first before purchasing.

12. Diane Lane

Diane LaneWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I 'buy' a lot of free ebooks from the Kindle store. Many of them leave me disappointed, but if I need a light distraction, they usually suffice. If I find an author I particularly like with well written books, I will pay for the books, but I don't have much money, so I usually will sign up on a mailing list so that I'm notified when they go on sale. My first choice is to e-borrow from my local library, though. I am reading one right now that I e-borrowed, and once I'm finished with this book, I plan to e-borrow the author's other books. I stumbled upon him when I was looking for a different book. I like that Amazon/Kindle shows related books and ones that others looking at what I'm looking at, have been interested in.

13. Sealpikachu

SealpikachuMember

Threads:
    I only purchase an ebook when I can't find it for free, meaning almost never. When I don't know if I am going to like the book I am very hesitant to soend money on it. However, if I really love the book, I will most likely buy it later to support the author either way. They deserve recognition and revenue for their creativity.

14. obliviousme

obliviousmeActive Member

Threads:
    I rarely spend anything on ebooks, when i find something I'd like to read, I usually just google it and see if i could find a copy for free download and more often than not, there are available downloads. I know it's not exactly a good practice since it doesn't support the authors but since it's out there available for the taking, then i'd take advantage of it.

15. MissLibby

MissLibbyMember

Threads:
    I got my first e reader, a Kindle Fire, a few months ago. I bought it when they were on sale for ten dollars off the regular price and I am having a blast reading so many different kinds of ebooks. I definitely go for the free ones and I think I've only purchased one and it was only 99 cents. I almost always read nonfiction books, as they are my favorite, and I've been reading several of the books that were written many years ago. I read one that was written in 1912 by an actual passenger on the Titanic and the next one I'm going to read is about the Donner Party. I think I'm addicted to these free ebooks and I spend way too much time reading at night instead of going to sleep.

16. judyd1

judyd1New Member

Threads:
    I just discovered Kindle readers, so I love to get freebies when I find one that looks really interesting. I enjoy young adult fiction, and unusual sci-fi (but not creepy stuff!) although I have also downloaded some self-help like, you know, how to make your own laundry detergent and household cleaners....that sort of thing. Basically, I'm interested in a lot of different subjects.

Can I ask, though, how many books did you try to have published? Did you try to go through a traditional publisher, or self-publishing?

17. DreekLass

Threads:
    What is Kindle readers? I have gotten free samples off of Amazon before. But I didn't know there was an actual platform designed specifically for the freebies? I tried to have only one story published, but that was when self-publishing was just becoming a thing, and so all of the parameters and do's and don'ts were not really established. So it was difficult. Plus, I was young at the time. It didn't go very well, which I am grateful for because my writing has come on leaps and bounds since then.

18. RElizabeth

RElizabethNew Member

Threads:
    I don't like buying ebooks, just because when I spend money on books I like to have them physically and be able to hold them and turn the pages. Weird, I know. But my library does have a digital section where you can rent Kindle books for free, which I love. Sometimes I want to read books on my phone just because it's more convenient, but I don't want to own them or have to pay money for them, so I like being able to do that.

19. cluckeyo

cluckeyoActive Member

Threads:
    In the past I have just stuck with the freebies on my kindle. But now I am in need of buying several books in the $15.00 range.That's how much they would be in paperback, but a nice discount in ebooks. Since I am very tuned into saving money these days, and since my kindle is in good working order, I intend to opt for ebooks over paperbacks and save myself some serious money. They won't be free, but they will be far less than the paperback, and delivered instantly!

20. judyd1

judyd1New Member

Threads:
    Okay, so you can download a free Kindle app for your Mac or PC to let you read anything that Kindle publishes. You might buy a Kindle e-book, or you might find one (or several) for free on Amazon, but the reader is free.

Now to address the other subject. You should really self-publish through kdp.com--I have and it's such a wonderful feeling to see your stories out there in the world for people to read!

Hey--if an old person like me (lol) can learn to do it, I know anyone can. And the best part is that every single tool you need to self-publish your e-book on Amazon through Kindle's kdp program, is absolutely FREE!

I helped my cousin and her husband self-publish his humorous cartoons--and they were so thrilled! I would love to read what you write! And I'm probably not the only one. So if you need more pointers, just let me know.