Earbuds Or Headphones?

Discussion in Computers, Electronics & Gadgets started by TheViper • Sep 16, 2015.

1. TheViper

TheViperActive Member

Threads:
    The big debate that many people stumble upon and few have a answer for. For me personally I love in ear buds for when I am out and about. They are easy to carry around and fit nice in my pocket with no restrictions. Usually, when I am gaming or editing I prefer to use my noise canceling headphones. These usually help with hearing certain sounds or audio problems and usually are expensive. Which ones do you prefer more?

2. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I find headphones bulky and break easily than earphones because the wires get tugged with all that weight, so I prefer earphones. I noticed that as long as the wires don't get tugged or smashed with the other items in your bag and you keep it in a hard plastic case then it will last a long time. On the other hand, headphones are quite bulky and they tend just get stuffed in your bag, so the wires are all the more liable to break, so I would rather spend on an expensive earphone rather than headphones.

3. Nickchick

NickchickWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I haven't used headphones in years. The only purpose I can see for them is noise canceling. Like you said, earbuds are easy to carry around and fit in your pocket/bag easily. The only problem with earbuds is I get them tangled so easily but I'm sure it's because I use them a lot and don't really do much to keep them from getting that way.

4. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I prefer earbuds because they are easier to carry around with you and also being a female with long hair, it's much more practical. I don't like headphones as it messes up my hair, but there are some good quality ones that are very comfortable and are fine to use at home or when you want peace and quiet. Earbuds are cheaper though these days.

5. razelia

razeliaActive Member

Threads:
    Headphones are too bulky and too much of a space occupying item to ever be useful to me. I bring a lot of things to work and lugging around a set of headphones would definitely be a hindrance. That said, I have tried them before and I do like their overall feel more than earbuds. Earbuds tend to hurt after they've been in my ears for a while.

6. SarahWorksAtHome

SarahWorksAtHomeActive Member

Threads:
    Headphones are what I prefer, hands down! (or ears up? hahahaha)
    The problem I have with earbuds are the discomfort they give me. Maybe my ears are just shaped funny but I can't ever get them to fit right or stay in and if I can by chance get them to fit, they hurt or plug up my ears. I've gotten ear infections twice after using them. I have several pairs of them around the house and they just get thrown into drawers.
    I like the big, cushioned headphones the best but right now I don't have a set. Hoping to get one soon.

7. SLTE

SLTEActive Member

Threads:
    Headphones for home, earbuds for out and about. I would have said earbuds for all occasions about a year ago, but then I got a really nice pair of headphones for Christmas that are much more comfortable to wear for long periods of time than earbuds. Still, they're bulky enough that I wouldn't want to wear them around. (The fact that they've got a mic attached to the side doesn't help either.)

8. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    You might want to try a lighter and less bulky version of those headphones, here is a clip-on earphone which holds the speakers in place on your ear:

9. beccagreen

beccagreenActive Member

Threads:
    If I'm commuting I prefer noise cancelling headphones more than anything but when it comes to general purpose, like listening to a podcast or music when working out, I prefer regular earphones. The quality of the sound suffers a bit but at least you can hear when someone is calling you or something.

10. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina IsobeWell-Known Member

Threads:
    :oops:I definitely like my cheap ear buds. I buy them from CVS for just 1.99. They last about a year. I like the less rounded ones for my ear. The cone shaped ear buds are great! I like them for you can just put them in your purse and carry them everywhere. When they go it's so cheap it's okay to just throw them away and get a new pair at CVS. Even for gaming I choose my ear buds because they are so portable and easy to handle.

11. AllAboutTheLincolns

AllAboutTheLincolnsMember

Threads:
    I'm an earbud person solely because they are unobtrusive and work really well when walking or jogging. I don't have the space to carry headphones around with me all the time, so earbuds are perfect for the compacting user like myself. Headphones will give you a more surround quality, but you can get similar sensations with earbuds while also having the benefit of storage.

12. joshc428

joshc428Active Member

Threads:
    Like most people in this thread, I prefer earbuds. They're super portable and don't break as easily. However, if I were an audiophile and just want to sit down and listen to music in the highest quality, I would like to try good Sennheiser headphones since I wouldn't have to worry about breakage or mobility in my home.

13. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Headphones! Ha.. odd man out again lol. I can't stand earbuds.. they feel terrible, they never stay in, I can't even control the gag reflex thinking about what ends up on them, clean ears or not lol. Nope nope nope nope. I don't need sound when I leave the house and even if I did, I'd rather put the bulkies on than shove some hard plastic balls in my ears lol.

14. Ke Gordon

Ke GordonWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I
    don't usually use earbuds, but they are helpful for use with an iphone. I use headphones that are designed to be used for Skype. I prefer not using earphones or headphones at all, but if the situation calls for them I would just as soon use a headset. Some people almost exclusively use Bluetooth, and this can be helpful to them in place of either.

15. purplepen88

purplepen88Active Member

Threads:
    My twelve year old prefers his headphones over his ear buds. We've had several pairs of ear buds stop working. The company was good enough to replace them as they were still under warranty but the second pair did the same thing. Me I like using my Bose speakers to listen to music and not use head phones or ear buds at all. I have been trying to encourage my sons to keep the volume down when they use their headphones, I'm worried about hearing loss.

16. MikeyPaine

MikeyPaineActive Member

Threads:
    As Dr. Zoidberg says, "why not both?" I prefer to have a set of earbuds for when I'm on the go, and a pair of headphones for when I'm listening to music at home. Neither have to be super high quality, but they have to be decent. I actually currently don't have a pair of headphones, but I should be buying a new pair soon.

17. Spectre456

Spectre456Active Member

Threads:
    I really like using my headphones at home and earbuds when I'm taking a long trip somewhere. I feel like headphones have a wider soundstage and just feel more comfortable to me. I dont like sticking earbuds on my ears, but carrying headphones around is more cumbersome, so I accept that when I need to travel.

18. isabbbela

isabbbelaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I definitely prefer earphones for general use. They are discreet and easy to use, and I also can hear much better than with headphones without outside noise bothering me. I only use headsets at work for long meetings, but headphones themselves it's rare for me to use.

19. TheLovingLeah

TheLovingLeahActive Member

Threads:
    Well ear buds are really cool. You can hear the sound really good when you push them in more. I had one ear bud that made my ears TERRIBLY sore! It made nasty looking stuff around the inside of my ear. I really hated when that was going on. If I am going to use ear buds it has to be the ones with the cushions on them. But even with cushions that brand of ear buds still hurt my ear. BUT I definitely prefer headphones over ear buds. Headphones feel more comfortable in my opinion. I also never experienced anything inside of my ears. Now that I use headphones that stuff growing inside my ears went completely away. I also think the sound is better with headphones. They also look really cool on your head or around your neck.

20. dorothymoreno

dorothymorenoActive Member

Threads:
    I would have to say headphones. The ear buds don't seem to want to stay in my ears!! They are always falling out no matter which ones I buy when it comes to ear buds, that just don't work for me. So,I choose my headphones, they fit better and they are awesome at cancelling out the background noise.