Easy, inexpensive pet suggestions?

Discussion in Pets started by Galadriel • Apr 24, 2014.

1. Galadriel

GaladrielNew Member

Threads:
    Hi all,

So I am graduating from college soon, and I would really like to get a pet within the next year. The problem is, I might be living alone, and working a full-time job. Are there any low-maintenance pets that could handle that kind of independence? I would love a dog, but I know that I won't have the time for one. I should probably indicate, also, that I am not interested in a fish. Does anyone have a Ferret that could comment on how much they cost/how much attention they need? Thank you!

2. isabbbela

isabbbelaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Cats are a good call! Cats are fun, curious and more affectionate than you think. Most people that never had a cat before think they are too independent and selfish, but unless your cat's personality is independent it can be a really loving, affectionate and cuddly animal to have - specially boy cats! Particularly, I live alone and work a full time job, abd I have a dog. Sure, I don't like leaving him alone all day, but I find that walking him twice a day and giving him a lot of attention and love whenever I'm home is more than many dogs have even when they don't have to be alone often. Its about the quality of time you spend with your dog, not the amount of time.
    But if you're not prepared to have a dog and feel it's not the right choice for you, I would seriously look into having a cat!

3. Plinko

PlinkoMember

Threads:
    How about a pet rabbit? A rabbit can be a a great indoor pet and they love to be petted. They can even be taught to use a litter box. Your local humane society/animal shelter might even have some rabbits that need a good home. (Cats are great too, I just wanted to suggest another option.)

4. springdaisies

springdaisiesNew Member

Threads:
    Rabbits are quite sociable animals and it wouldn't be fair to keep just one if you won't be in for much of the time. If you get two then get them spayed/neutered; they got that reputation for a reason! Two bucks will get on better together than two does on the whole. They are VERY easy to litter train and great company!

I'd second (third?) the suggestion of a cat.

Ferrets are very busy creatures and quite a lot of work. Not a great first pet to deal with on your own in my opinion, but that might be my own preference rather than fact. :)

5. ebby23

ebby23Member

Threads:
    I absolutely agree with the bunch on getting a cat. Cats are lovable pets but are very independent. On days you have to work late or something come up, you don't have to worry about rushing back home to walk it.

6. secondhandsaint

secondhandsaintNew Member

Threads:
    Rats are great pets to have when you're busy all the time. They are really easy to take care of, and relatively inexpensive. I know we got a big cage, two rats, bedding and food for less than a hundred bucks, and we got it all new. You could look at the newspaper and Craigslist to find them used, or possibly even for free. I'd just suggest getting two, because they like to be together and it lessens their loneliness when you aren't there.

7. soultakerkage

soultakerkageMember

Threads:
    Cats are a great pet to have indoors but they can be expensive sometimes. You would need the food and cat litter of course. But your cat may also need a cat tower, scratching posts, and toys. Not to mention, any medical issues that could occur. I would recommend hamsters are a great inexpensive pet. They don't really require that much.