Eat Raw Food To Save Money?

Discussion in Food & Drink started by Denis Hard • Oct 17, 2014.

1. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I'm talking about vegetables only. You'd need to cook everything else. Fact is cooking vegetables makes them lose their nutritional value. It therefore goes without saying [though I'll say it anyway] that raw vegetables are healthier.

So eat your veggies raw. You'll get used to the taste in the long run. Strive to switch to a vegetarian diet and see how much money you'll save.

2. Thejamal

ThejamalActive Member

Threads:
    Not all veggies lose their nutritional value if you cook them. And how would this save you money in the long-run? It's not like you're eating less carrots or brocoli at a meal because you didn't cook it? And it just tastes better if you cook it too.

Switching to a vegetarian diet would save money as meat is probably the most expensive item you buy in a grocery store.

3. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Simple.

Supposing that you use electric cookers, if you don't cook any of your meals or at the very least most of them, you'd save money on electricity. Same thing applies to whatever else anyone uses for cooking — cooking gas, coal, firewood;) etc.

4. chiofthenorns

chiofthenornsActive Member

Threads:
    I don't think I can eat vegetables raw. Sure, you can eat carrots raw, but there are some vegetables that are too difficult to eat if not cooked. They can cause stomachaches, too. I mean can you eat potatoes raw? Tomatoes and onions are okay. How about okra?

5. TuRon Davis

TuRon DavisActive Member

Threads:
    I rather cook my vegetable unless it's carrots, broccoli, cauliflower, in dipping sauce. In addition, I don't know how you would really be saving money by not cooking them. The light bill won't inflate that much.Also, not all veggies lose their nutrition value when cooked. I say eat them the way that taste better to you, and don't worry about the money. Veggies are cheap.

6. Melissast

MelissastActive Member

Threads:
    I don't see how cooking vegetables raises cost enough that it would be worth not doing. I guess you might not eat as many because you can not stand the taste.

7. Mayvin

MayvinActive Member

Threads:
    I do agree that eating raw vegetables is healthier than boiling them to death but I'm not sure if eating raw really saves some money. Fresh vegetables can be kind of expensive and a small package of frozen vegetables are usually less than $2 dollars. Frozen vegetables are the next best thing to eating fresh vegetables.

8. xTinx

xTinxWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Some suggestion you have there. I am not against eating raw food, but eating ALL vegetables raw is an entirely different matter. I don't mind the good ol' Caesar or Asian salad with dressing or vinaigrette. I don't mind pickles and cucumber with a dash of vinegar and sliced onions. However, eating horse radish, squash and, most of all, bitter gourd raw is out of the question. I guess you just need to choose which vegetables to eat raw. Still, that doesn't guarantee you're going to save money.

9. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Yes, raw food can be healthier, bit not always as tasty and I like to enjoy my food. I can eat lettuce and cucumber raw ( you can cook both) or sweetcorn. I do prefer to cook them and then let them cool, I don't feel too many vitamins are lost and things like broccoli are too hard to eat raw for me. As a vegetarian who isn't fond of vegetables or fruit, cooking them and smothering them in sauces is the best way for me to eat them, save money for me as less waste!

10. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Not many people will eat raw veggies free of dips and other bad for you foods to cover the taste, so in the long run, it might not save them anything. Most people are addicted to a high salt and/or sugar diet, so veggies will taste disgusting to them.. good luck getting them to understand that once they detox, they'll appreciate these foods so much more. But they maintain it's boring and they want to enjoy their foods. I was the same.. but I'm so happy I forced myself through the addiction and am now lovvvvvving real food so much more and actually cringe at the flavours of the foods I used to love. To each their own though. Not everyone prefers health lol.

I also agree that not all veggies should be raw though.. as long as you're eating a predominantly whole foods diet, it shouldn't be a problem how you prepare. You definitely need to regularly eat raw though.. I eat a good balance.

11. DancingLady

DancingLadyActive Member

Threads:
    Some veggies have too hard cellulose to be digested raw. You can see when you go to the bathroom that they were not digested. I like to steam my veggies, so they don't get quite as hot a boiled and the nutrients won't be in the water, but it softens up the cellulose so my body can access the nutrients. Otherwise what is the point of eating them? I get plenty of fiber from millet and whole kernel corn meal every day.