Eating at the parents / in-laws

Discussion in Food & Drink started by Peninha • Jun 25, 2014.

1. Peninha

PeninhaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I usually eat once per week with my parents or my in-laws. Not only is a good way to promote the family interaction and for my parents to be with my kids, but at the end of the day we also save a meal and also the work to cook it haha. Do you usually eat with your parents or you don't have this habit?

2. whnuien

whnuienActive Member

Threads:
    We don't. We live in different country and we see each other only few times a year. When we are all together we usually just go for a holiday so we will be eating at hotels or resorts.

3. forextraspecialstuff

forextraspecialstuffActive Member

Threads:
    Yes, I see my parents at least once a week, but usually more often. We like to try the new restaurants that open up in the city.

4. Peninha

PeninhaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Ah, but that is a different concept, you go out to try the new restaurants... :) In that case, who is paying for the meal? You or your parents?

We used to go out as well and my parents used to pay, but now their pensions have been cut and they are making less money so we tend to eat at their place most of the time. If I earned more money I would ask them to eat out for sure...

5. prettycolors

prettycolorsActive Member

Threads:
    I rarely eat together with my parents since sadly, I moved to another city. But if I'm home we don't miss a meal/chance to eat together! We get to catch up with details from our lives and the less fortunate, meaning younger me, gets to save some cash by not spending on a few meals :p

6. JoanMcWench

JoanMcWenchActive Member

Threads:
    Interesting. I guess I'm the 'parent' in this situation. I am consistently feeding my mother. I suppose it's half because I love to cook and half because she loves not to. As far as my mother-in-law? I think she'd be afraid I was trying to poison her.

7. lovemwaf

lovemwafActive Member

Threads:
    I think that is great being able to share a meal with close friends and family. I love going to my mother-in-law's house. She said some of the best food in the world and she really knows how to cater to a man spending. At that bonding in a family is very important and doing it on a regular basis really helps to strengthen that bond. I see my mother-in-law every other week. Initially I used to be scared that she would not accept but as time went on she truly sees me as a son. I love the way out our family has grown and I think that if it wasn't for consistent meetings and would have taken longer to achieve the goals that we have.

8. Tiara Murphy

Tiara MurphyNew Member

Threads:
    We do this, too! We eat with my in-laws about once a week. Our daughter loves hanging out with her grandparents, my husband loves seeing his brother, and I love the free, effortless meal! :D

9. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    One of the reasons I chose to live in the countryside is because I don't like relatives. Parents . . . brothers . . . wives. So even they lived close by, I certainly wouldn't want to spend an evening with them or make it a habit to visit them. Occasionally some kinsman/woman visits me but it's always at the end of the year so I don't mind the intrusion that much.

Sure eating at your in-laws or your parents can save money but when you don't like those people, it can be difficult to hang out with them let alone share a meal.

10. moorecoby

moorecobyNew Member

Threads:
    i used to have dinner with my parents every sunday but now im so busy sometimes i cant make it as often as i used to. but i do go atleast once a month.

11. 003

003Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I do eat with my mom. She likes me there and also I like to be with her. Besides she cooks really well and I don't know how to cook well. My cooking skills are really below average. The dish I make wouldn't even be considered a fine one, but an utter mediocre. Also since my mom doesn't spend much on me anymore, not only I find it a way to save money, I find it as well a way of her to treat me. So, I really make the most of it and go for it regularly.

12. Peninha

PeninhaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    It seems like you spend a lot of time on yourself Denis, you don't like people or you just don't enjoy being with your relatives?

I spend more time now with my family (once per week in average) now that I got married than I used to when I was single. My wife is a really family kind of person and she brought us back together more often, I think it's just a way each one is.

13. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I'm not married, but I certainly take advantage of eating at my parents house when I visit them. Not only that, but we will usually go grocery shopping together and they will buy a bunch of stuff for me to take home as well. When I first moved out on my own and money was really tight, those trips with them to the stores really helped out a lot. These days though I try to return the favor. If they insist on paying, then some other times when I am at the stores on my own, I will pick up some stuff for them and drop it off as well. Especially since there are quite a few cool stores in my area that they don't have near their house. They don't live near a Trader Joe's for example, so I will bring over a lot of their frozen stuff.

14. Peninha

PeninhaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Luckily my parents are well off in life, so they don't need my help in a financial way, but I would help them if I could. As for eating there, I think we save some money and work of course, but it's mainly to be with them, usually Saturdays or Sundays we go over to have lunch and we spend the afternoon with them, sometimes until night. I think it's a good way for the family to stick together.

15. etc

etcActive Member

Threads:
    We sometimes do it. I better know how my wife was back when she was with her parents. I become closer to her parents as well as me and my wife are the only who visits them during holidays. My wife invites them too to visit us from time to time and so she buys plane tickets for them.

16. Lenna

LennaNew Member

Threads:
    Well I live quite a ways away from my parents so it's not really possible for me to just pop back for a quick meal or two. When I am home though I'll scarf down anything in sight, especially milk for some reason. My dad hates it. I can go through a 3l thing of milk in a single day, if not sooner when I'm at my parents, but when I'm at my own place that'll last me a week.

17. wander_n_wonder

wander_n_wonderActive Member

Threads:
    I think this is indeed a good practice. Getting married does not mean you have to be far away from your own parents. Also, this is a good way to develop that bond with your in-laws. We make sure that we do this kind of thing at least 2/3 times in a month, and we alternate it with both sides. We make sure that both sides are seen on a regular basis to avoid any form of jealousy.

18. Peninha

PeninhaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    That is exactly how I feel wander and the credit of this goes all to my wife, she is the true family woman. Since I got married I get to see my parents more often because as you say it's a good habit, we need to be around the ones we love and not create a big distance.

19. Verity Darkwaters

Verity DarkwatersActive Member

Threads:
    No, I do not speak with my parents at all, so I would never eat with them. I eat with my husbands father maybe twice a year. Other than that, I may eat with his mother/step-father about 7 times if we are able to make it across country to see them. He eats with his father much more than I. But I am fine with that, gives them time to bond and hang out.

20. Peninha

PeninhaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    LOL, so your mother is at your care? I guess that a time in life comes when the situation is reversed meaning, we need to take care of our parents because they are too old and they can no longer take care of themselves. That hasn't happened with mine just yet, but if the time comes I will be there for them, that is for sure.