Eating old bread

Discussion in Food & Drink started by Peninha • Aug 7, 2014.

1. Peninha

PeninhaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I never throw old bread to the garbage because I always find a good way to eat it. I calculate how much we are going to eat in that day and the rest I freeze it. Also, I put the bread in the fridge sometimes because it lasts longer. My ultimate tool is the sandwich maker, any old bread is yummy as a toast. :)

What do you do with your old bread?

2. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't keep bread around the house for long. When I make a purchase [I don't like bread that much] I only buy enough for the day which on most occasions is just one loaf. I eat part of it on that day and do my best to finish the job the next day. Old bread, therefore for me has never been an issue. But I suppose if it hasn't gone moldy then it's safe to eat.

3. True2marie

True2marieActive Member

Threads:
    I normally toast or fry old bread in butter. Both options are great for 'not-so-fresh' bread slices. Then, I top them with either peanut butter or jam.

Old bread also works well in recipes for stuffing or desserts such as bread pudding.

Now I am getting hungry . . .
    spicy-corn-bread-stuffing_456X342.

4. deathbyprayer

deathbyprayerActive Member

Threads:
    I don't really like bread that much so whenever my stash of bread gets too old to taste good I call in my dogs and give it to them. But my grandma used to make these, I don't know what they're called really, they're like pie's but it's made of bread. What my grandma would do is pile up old breads, mix it in a bowl with sugar and all other flavoring and then bake it and then BAM! We got ourselves some sort of bread pie cake sort of thing. It was really tasty.

5. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Deathbyprayer bread pudding is the name you are looking for, I use old bread to make bread pudding I add raisins to mine. I eat the bread puddng for breakfast most of the time when I make it. No one in my family like bread pudding as much as I do so it gets frozen in individual size bowls just for me. I use old bread to make grilled cheese sandwichs also, old bread makes a better grilled sandwich than fresher bread.

6. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    We use up all our extra pieces of bread by making garlic toast to eat with pasta, so bread doesn't really go to waste around here.

7. mariee

marieeActive Member

Threads:
    I don't eat much bread but my partner does. Usually we don't buy enough to have leftovers. One time we had some old bread I used it to make breaded fried chicken breast tenders.

8. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I agree, there is so much other uses for old bread that it's hardly necessary to throw any away. I use it differently depending on how old the bread is. If it's only slightly old and I don't have to disguise the texture as much then I'd just make toast out of it or use it as bread for salads, but if it gets really old then I might ground it up and use it as breadcrumbs for coating and frying.

9. isabbbela

isabbbelaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I put bread on the fridge as well to make it last longer. I do sometimes freeze them, but as I don't buy a lot of bread at once it's very rare that it will go bad. However, I am very cautious to eat old bread because I am very scared it gets moldy.

10. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    I try to use up older bread on croutons, too. Before it gets moldy, of course, but after it starts getting a little stale, it's perfect for toasting up and turning into a salad topping.

11. Peninha

PeninhaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Croutons are great, they make the soup taste much better. Just today I ate something called bread pudding and it got me wondering, is it really made of bread? I'll look the recipe up because it was really yummy and it it's indeed made of bread that is another great idea to use the old bread. I hate throwing food away.

12. DancingLady

DancingLadyActive Member

Threads:
    I used to use stale bread for bread crumbs in recipes, but I no longer eat bread as I've gone gluten free. Old bread is not a problem as long as you are not allergic to penicillin, but if you know someone who is, be very careful that you never have moldy bread around because it can be very dangerous for someone who is allergic.

13. dizzykitsune

dizzykitsuneActive Member

Threads:
    When I find my bread growing stale I make croutons. I smear the bread with butter, slice each pieces into little pieces, and pop those bad boys into the oven for different amounts of time depending on how many I'm making. Usually I toast them until they harden and darken in color- but not until they get black! If they go black they're way too burnt, but just before that stage they're delicious!

14. Frogurt

FrogurtMember

Threads:
    I keep bread in the freezer all the time. It is easy enough to make toast but my main reason is for recipes that need breadcrumbs. After you toast it under the grill, let it cool so all the steam has gone, and then blend it into crumbs. I think it makes the best chicken schnitzels or roast chicken stuffing that way.

15. stacyje

stacyjeActive Member

Threads:
    I love old bread I use it as toast and I tell you would never tell it was old. I place it in the toaster or I grill it on the stove and it makes a great sandwich. I buy a lot bread cause my kids are a great fan of bread I place in the frezzer and I unthaw it and use it faithfully.

16. pennylane

pennylaneActive Member

Threads:
    I slice my loaves of bread and freeze them too. A minute in the toaster and they're good to go. If I let some go stale I'll make bread crumbs or cubes to throw under a roasted turkey. I hate wasting food.

17. Peninha

PeninhaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I've been using the freezer for quite a while now because I don't shop daily and enjoy fresh bread, but just more recently I've discovered how great the refrigerator is because it keeps the bread good and without mold, strangely the bread I buy after 3-4 days gets moldy if outside the fridge.

18. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I've been meaning to try and make my own croutons, but I never seem to get around to it.

I usually refrigerate my bread, or freeze some of it in advance so it will last much longer. Especially if there is some sale on breads at our bakery, which is not often. Then I will defrost a little bit at a time as needed. Honestly though I go through so much bread, it's seldom that there is any left over. But if I do have a bunch that is starting to go bad, I will often use it for meatballs. I soak the bread in some milk then tear it up and work it into the meatball mixture. Totally covers up the staleness of the bread, and I prefer using this in place of breadcrumbs because the milk soaked bread makes for a much more moist meatball.

Worst case scenario, I will spread some peanut butter on it and toss it out for the squirrels, who *love* that stuff.

If there is any mold on it I will just discard the rest of it all.

19. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Old bread over here either gets eaten as toasted bread, or it gets fed to the dogs. Sometimes if it's only a day old I still eat it for breakfast because the bread is still soft and still ok to eat.

20. Peninha

PeninhaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Interesting answer there sidney, sure that we all eat the old bread as toasts, but give it to the dogs? I wasn't even aware that dogs could eat bread! Sometimes I also make "soups" meaning I put the old bread inside coffee, milk and sugar, yummy. ;)