eBay or Amazon?

Discussion in Stores Reviews, Comments & Complaints started by jilliansorenson • May 19, 2013.

1. jilliansorenson

jilliansorensonNew Member

Threads:
    I use both websites for shopping and selling but I wondered if anyone had a preference between eBay or Amazon? Which site do you get the best deals at? Which has better inventory? Do you sell on either site? If so, which site is better for selling as far as fees, profit margin, and so forth?

2. tara9952

tara9952New Member

Threads:
    Love Amazon for shopping but never tried to sell on it. When selling I am just more familiar with Ebay but usually give it to my dad to do all the work of selling. lol

3. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I love Amazon for shopping because it's drama free and you don't have to deal with bidding or the lack of professionalism that some eBay sellers have. But eBay has great prices on some items and some sellers offer free shipping.

I like eBay better for selling because it's easy and I'm familiar with it, but I like Amazon for buying.

4. pafjlh

pafjlhActive Member

Threads:
    I do like both, but if I had to choose I guess I would pick Amazon. That's not to say that I don't like ebay because I do, its just that I'm not too into online auctions. In fact, when I do go to Ebay I tend to look for sellers who have a buy it now on their item. But I will admit that if I am looking for electronics or dvds I will head to Amazon first. Although, one of the great things about Ebay is they do seem to have a wider selection of items out there to buy at great prices.

5. kshultz06082

kshultz06082New Member

Threads:
    I like both Amazon and Ebay for shopping. For selling, I have never tried Amazon, so Ebay wins on that one. For shopping, it really depends on what I am looking for. If I am looking for a new book to read, I shop on Amazon because I have a Kindle. I buy music on Amazon as well. Just about everything else, I buy on Ebay. I do have a couple rules for Ebay buying though. If I am buying electronics or other high end items, they must be new in the box. Also, before I buy anything I check the seller's rating. Their ratings must be phenomenal to get my money. The only time this doesn't matter is when it's a homemade item and it's obvious the seller is just getting started on Ebay.

6. Keely222

Keely222New Member

Threads:
    I love Amazon for their free super saver shipping. I also only purchase the Amazon backed products because if there is a problem I want to know that I haven't just poured money down the drain and that I'll actually get a guarantee.

7. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I've found some really good deals with Amazon Super Saver Shipping, because all their Warehouse Deals items qualify for free shipping and some of the items are really marked down, just because the package is a little dented or someone returned the item and they refurbished it.

8. Anna Blush

Anna BlushActive Member

Threads:
    I think I would say that both are great equally but at the end if the day I just find that amazon just has a wider selection and just better deals whereas eBay just stays the same. I also discovered another buying and selling app called postmark and I am having more luck on it compared to eBay and amazon put together.

9. ReishiSpore

ReishiSporeMember

Threads:
    I like to use both eBay and Amazon. If I am searching for a particular product, I will simply switch between the two to find out which I can get the best deal on. I have had numerous great experiences on both websites, and am happy to use both. If I had to really choose, then I would say eBay, because you always have the option on bidding for an item and potentially getting a really good bargain.

10. limcid

limcidActive Member

Threads:
    Amazon is better, without a doubt. Ebays policies are very much against the sellers. Their guarantee to buyers wreaks havoc on sellers because bad buyers easily take advantage.

11. kkat846

kkat846New Member

Threads:
    I prefer Amazon for both buying and selling. I think their platform is more stable and professional and I have never had any problems with it. I think the Amazon Prime membership is invaluable, between the free shipping and streaming TV/movies. I've bought and sold on Ebay too, but it always feels like more work than it should be.

12. MrsR

MrsRMember

Threads:
    I have bought on both and I think I like Amazon better for buying. I usually get the free shipping, which is a plus, so the item ends up being cheaper than on ebay. I sell on ebay and I have seriously considered selling on Amazon too. I have read up on it, but just haven't started yet. Does anyone know if you have to have a credit card to sell on Amazon? I don't have one and as I was reading up on being a seller, I noticed that they asked for a credit card. I hope that's not a requirement because I would really like to start selling there too.

13. littledipster

littledipsterNew Member

Threads:
    I prefer Amazon for both buying and selling, as I often buy things shipped and sold from Amazon.com which is great because I know my satisfaction is guaranteed and there is often free shipping. I prefer selling on there because it is free to list things until they are sold so I think it is a great value compared to Ebay's "buy it now" for sellers, which still costs to list an item. However, sometimes something I want to sell does not already have a listing so I am unable to sell it there, so I guess Ebay is good for selling unique, used, or more rare items, or items in which a picture of what you're selling is necessary.

14. MakingCents

MakingCentsActive Member

Threads:
    I find amazon a lot better than e-bay for shopping. The inventory through amazon and their affiliates is unamatched. As far as selling stuff, I prefer ebay I think.

15. Happyflowerlady

HappyflowerladyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't do a lot of selling, and have only ever sold on eBay, not Amazon. I think it is harder to be registered to sell on Amazon, but I really am not sure what you have to do to qualify to sell there. I think you do need a credit card to do it though.
    When I am shopping for something, I always check both websites, because you never know which one will have the best deals. I think Amazon Prime is awesome, and well worth the cost, with all the benefits it comes with. I don't have it yet, but I plan on signing up as soon as I can afford it.

16. steph84

steph84Active Member

Threads:
    Hands down Amazon for buying and ebay for selling. I haven't sold on Amazon, but I do use their payments system and like how fast it is. Ebay uses paypal and it takes forever. I like how every purchase from Amazon was exactly as described. It's kind of a gamble with purchases on ebay.

17. AngryItalian

AngryItalianMember

Threads:
    I like Ebay, I don't care about speed at all when it comes to a system that cares for its users. Unlike Amazon, all of my issues get solved the way I need them to get solved. I have lost many hundreds of dollars in return shipping with Amazon not to mention hours of my time alongside. Simply speaking, Ebay is better than Amazon on factors that are most important to me.

18. oracewx

oracewxNew Member

Threads:
    From where I am from, Amazon have little to no deals or items that I was looking for. Ebay on the other hand have some ridiculous (hidden) shipping fee. Again from where I am from, Ebay don't have many items I was looking for too. Often the sellers are oversea sellers that charge a high price for the item or the sellers are local people selling used item that they no longer have any use for.

However, I did purchase some item from both sites and did not get any bad experience from any of them. The only problem I encounter is the lack of variety in both site.

19. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I would prefer Ebay over Amazon because most sellers in Amazon only ship to the US. Amazon also lacks pictures of the product, while in Ebay most items have several pics taken from all angles. You can also see the shipping rates for each country on the same page in Ebay, while in Amazon you need to open a few more pages. I haven't tried selling online though, I have only tried buying online.

#19May 20, 2013
    Last edited: May 20, 2013
  20. EdenSB

EdenSBActive Member

Threads:
    I'd say that eBay has a much wider variety of goods, but I don't like using it as much as Amazon.

eBay has quite a few unprofessional sellers and has a reputation for sellers cheating people. I've also gotten goods that were fairly low quality from there, which I've never experienced with Amazon sellers. That said, some very good deals can be found on eBay occasionally - though of course some overpriced items are there too. Items are listed which I can't buy because they won't ship to my area and they don't filter out.

I've never had any problems buying on Amazon from sellers. Everyone has been professional and all goods have been at least decent quality.