Economic and healthy dish

Discussion in Food & Drink started by maddie • Jan 27, 2013.

1. maddie

maddieActive Member

Threads:
    What according to you would be the most economic and healthy dish that you cook ? For me I think it would be an omelette made oat meal, eggs and a whole lot of vegetables like shredded mushrooms, carrots cabbage, tomatoes, dash of chilly flakes, cilantro or mint would be the thing. It could be topped with cheese or without it.

2. ChanellG

ChanellGActive Member

Threads:
    Maddie, do you mean that you put oatmeal in your egg omelette? That's interesting; I've never heard of anyone doing that before. I think the most economic dish I know of is rice and beans. Both are cheap food items that go a long way. I made rice in the cooker today with onions, carrots and edamame - love those one dish dinners :) I need to make up so tofu to go with...

3. Parker

ParkerWell-Known Member

Threads:
    The healthiest and economical dish that I make is lentils with rice. I top off the dish with caramelized onions. It cheap, delicious and relatively fast to make. This is my favorite vegan dish to make. It's also the first vegan dish that I learned to make.

4. dissn_it

dissn_itActive Member

Threads:
    We like a good stir fry and depending on how you make it, it can be very healthy. If you don't add a lot of oil and sauses and just keep it simple, it is a good way to get lots of veggies into your family meal. We usually serve ours over steamed rice and choose a leaner white meat or shrimp. I also use the frozen mixed stir fry veggies to cut down on the cost and prep time to make stir frys now.

5. Bloomatic

BloomaticActive Member

Threads:
    That recipe sounds delicious. I enjoy the simple plates, whether they are economical. The combination of vegetables with rice is always a choice I have available (especially in my lunch). Rice is very noble and allows their combination with a lot of different products. The dishes made ​​with potatoes also are economical and tasty, but the caloric load is usually higher. In conclusion, the combination of simple products (cereal, vegetables, eggs) becomes a simple recipe and its economic value is very small relative to other more elaborate dishes. :D

6. maddie

maddieActive Member

Threads:
    Yeah... I need my meal to have some substance and a lot of fiber ... so in goes the oat meal with the eggs... and a whole tray of veggies.. it is filling and healthy.

@ Parker.. Dhal and rice is what we eat most of the time,.. But then it should be brown rice to make the dish healthy. :)
    @ dissn-it a stir fry with shrimps or prawns is always welcome.. over a bowl of brown rice it could be a very healthy option.

7. classicnyer

classicnyerActive Member

Threads:
    Good old beans and brown rice for me, with some steamed carrots on the side.

8. andrew320

andrew320Active Member

Threads:
    Here is a meal that you could cook a whole week's worth and it will fill you up and get all of your necessary nutrition:

Portuguese Stew: potatoes, beans (I use chick peas), vegetables, tomato paste, buillon and olive oil. We eat it at least two or three times a week and it does the trick. My wife is getting sick and tired of it, though.

9. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    For me, it's gotta be something filling. Some stir fried veggies over steamed rice won't cut it for me, for example. I usually will stick with a big plate of spaghetti, especially if canned tomatoes or sauce is on sale for like $1 a jar/can. Instead of ground beef, I will sometimes throw in some canned tuna for extra protein. Pasta is always cheap. Occasionally I will make polenta with a thick meat sauce over it (and lots of parmesan/romano sprinkled over it too). Polenta is cheap and will get me full real quick. Often times I can't even finish the plate.

10. Sandra Piddock

Sandra PiddockExpert

Threads:
    Andrew, we cook that a lot as well. In Spain, it's called 'estofado de garbanzos y patatas,' basically chick pea and potato stew.

My own favourite economical and healthy meal is home made vegetable soup. I use whatever vegetables are on hand, plus chopped tomatoes, herbs and brown rice for thickening and filling power. I make a big pan once a month, and we have it once a week with crusty bread as our main meal. The rest is frozen for later, and the flavour seems to improve with keeping.

11. classicnyer

classicnyerActive Member

Threads:
    This seems like it would be an awesome meal to cook in a crock pot, which would then save effort as well as money.

12. Bolt

BoltWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Omelette made oat meal, what is that? Eggs are good for you but the cheap battery eggs are not ideal for health. Free range or pastured eggs are more expensive. Oatmeal is not a healthy food either, it is a grain, it will spike blood sugar and it contains anti-nutrients.

13. maddie

maddieActive Member

Threads:
    Grains have always been part of mans diet and with the amount of fiber rolled oats has I do n ot seriously think it spikes up your sugar levels. I however do not subscribe to the idea of leaving out any particular kind of food from my diet.. I have my limit of carbs and this is well within my limit.

14. ChanellG

ChanellGActive Member

Threads:
    Don't know where you get your information, but oatmeal does not spike blood sugar, which is why it is a highly recommended food for diabetics. You may want to read this article from Web MD:

I think that is a good practice, Maddie. A healthy diet is all about balance.

15. maddie

maddieActive Member

Threads:
    Chanell. I am tired of hearing people say don't eat fruits, don't eat carbs. I think fruits are one of the best sources of finding your monerals , vitamins , micronutrients what ever you want to call it.
    You need to find your balance.. and more than that don't eat more than you need too. That is my line of thought. I am glad that we agree on most things LOL :)

16. ChanellG

ChanellGActive Member

Threads:
    I know, Maddie, I think it's hilarious when people tell me they are on a diet so they are not drinking wine. I always stand up and say "I consume way more wine than you do, do I look like I need a diet?" And these same people eat all kinds of crazy fattening things, or they starve themselves until they end up bingeing.

17. Yurika

YurikaActive Member

Threads:
    For me, an economic and healthy dish may be egg and tomato noodles, of course, with vegetables.

18. Linky

LinkyExpert

Threads:
    The healthiest and most economical dish that we cook is a vegetable risotto. The ingredients are broccoli, onion, herbs, stock, rice and cheese. It is very delicious too and it takes about 20 minutes to make. First you stir fry the onions in olive oil, then add the herbs, then the broccoli, then the rice and finally you slowly add the stock liquid...allow the rice to soften in the stock water. Twenty minutes later you will have broccoli risotto!

19. XOHum

XOHumMember

Threads:
    caramelised onion and barley soup with cheese croutons, very nice dish, easy adaptable easy to cook.

20. illusen

illusenNew Member

Threads:
    My favorite economic meal that I cook is grilled chicken breast and the way I make it is I grill the chicken breast till it gets a nice color, then put it in a thermal-resistant tray, put a slice of Swiss cheese on top of it, a slice of ham and bacon and 2-3 slices of tomatoes on each piece. Then add oregano, pepper, salt and whatever other spices I feel like it and cook for 10 to 20 minutes in the oven. (my oven acts up a lot) It's yummy and it's got pretty cheap ingredients. It's the fastest meal I can cook, not including eggs so it's a time saver as well as a money saver.