Economical light bulbs

Discussion in Computers, Electronics & Gadgets started by prettycolors • Apr 22, 2014.

1. prettycolors

prettycolorsActive Member

Threads:
    Just recently my parents started using economical light bulbs that take a while until they light up. And you know what? I find them annoying! Let's say I go the bathroom. I press the switch and for the next 20 seconds I'm in the dark, until the bulb heats enough to produce light. Even then, the light is not that bright and it makes me feel like I'm in semi dark all the time.

Are such light bulbs worth it and can one save good money on energy by using them?

#1Apr 22, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 22, 2014
  2. Lostvalleyguy

LostvalleyguyActive Member

Threads:
    I am guessing you are using the compact fluorescent bulbs as they can take a few seconds to get lit up. It sounds like you have two issues the time and the brightness. The older style bulbs do take longer to light up but they are usually cheaper to buy. The newer ones come on instantly (or almost) but do get brighter after a few seconds (10 - 15 seconds). The second issue is brightness, the CFLs come in a variety of light outputs that are intended to be the equivalent of the bulbs they are replacing. It might be that you are not using the correct ones for example using a 40W equivalent CFL bulb to replace a normally 60W bulb.

Generally these bulbs last a lot longer than regular bulbs and they do save a lot of energy. Electricity is relatively cheap in my location, but switching to these lights has saved me more money in the long run. The best place for these lights is where they are going to be on for a longer period of time so the bathroom is not ideal.

3. stacyje

stacyjeActive Member

Threads:
    I cant stand these bulbs either it takes them forever to warm up to work. I like the ideal that it helps to lower your bill so that may be why your parents are using them but it can get annoying.

4. lizzief79

lizzief79Active Member

Threads:
    I use energy saving lightbulbs in my house and they light up straight away. I put them in when I moved into my house 8 years ago and it is only in the last few months that I have had to replace some. I don't really know how much they save me on my energy bills but they save me on the cost of keep replacing light bulbs around the house.

5. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    We are using CFL bulbs and they are fine in my opinion, and they consume less electricity as compared to other bulbs. In my experience they light up immediately, so I guess the issue you are facing is what lostvalleyguy said, since I'm no handyman, so I also wouldn't really know why you are having that issue. Our CFL bulbs are never delayed in lighting up when I turn them on.

6. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I also use CFL bulbs and haven't had any issues with them. Mine takes about two seconds to light up which I suppose is the norm and their brightness is OK for me. In fact these days I don't even use them much for lighting since I'm always online when I'm back home in the evening [the light from my LCD monitor is enough for me] and during the day all lights are off so whether they help save some cash or not I still can't tell.

7. Hedonologist

HedonologistActive Member

Threads:
    20 seconds is a long time, but yeah they usually don't go to full brightness for a little while. LED bulbs don't have this problem though, and they are rapidly becoming affordable. They are now down to around £5 per bulb, which is a lot less than the £25 you may have paid a few years back when they were a novelty.

8. remnant

remnantActive Member

Threads:
    Energy saving bulbs are the lie latest fad in my region Most of there
    bulbs in coiled shapes to decrease the surface area in contact with
    tungsten filament increasing light intensity for less power input.

9. wallet

walletActive Member

Threads:
    Hi, Prettycolors such light bulbs worth it, and yes you will save money. You say that you don't have a good light, to resolve this you should add more light bulbs. I have installed this kind of light bulbs in all my house and I must say that my energy bill came cheaper every month with a sum as 20 dollars!

10. moneymania

moneymaniaActive Member

Threads:
    CFL is quite popular now and that's what we use. Before, we were using the ring light and even if it's very bright, it consumes more watts. So when our house got renovated it has been changed to CFL bulbs.

11. Alexandoy

AlexandoyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Is that the LED bulbs you are talking about? We don’t buy LED bulbs yet because of the steep cost compared to the CFL (compact fluorescent lamp) which is also economical in terms of electricity consumption. And since we have the existing CFL when the LED came about, we are sticking the CFL for now. Again, if that is the LED bulb which takes time to light up then I guess that is an issue. Of course, you want light when you flick on the switch and it is irritating to wait for 20 seconds. That’s definitely a turn off.

12. FergusMacLeod

FergusMacLeodMember

Threads:
    These light bulbs were very popular around the world for some time, few years ago. But they are now outdated since there are now also economical light bulbs that don't use that much electrical energy and don't take time to heat up. They are almost like the regular ones except that they are saving energy. And they last longer that is for sure.