Edible Arrangements

Discussion in Gifts & Flowers started by JoanMcWench • Mar 6, 2015.

1. JoanMcWench

JoanMcWenchActive Member

Threads:
    I was thinking about ordering from them for mother's day but I was looking at the prices & found them to be a tad up there for cut fruit. Is there a cheaper option other than making it myself?

2. IcyFirefly

IcyFireflyActive Member

Threads:
    They are a bit expensive for my pocket too when I looked it up for my mom. I ended up making a basket of fresh fruits for her instead. This way, she can enjoy eating them at her leisure instead of worrying about the cut fruits go bad.

3. Zyni

ZyniWell-Known Member

Threads:
    There are a number of different shops that make these, but then again, they are all fairly pricey (at least in my opinion). You might look around for some coupons or discount codes, as I've seen some for Edible Arrangements before.

The fruit bouquets are quite pretty, but I don't see myself spending that much either for some fruit. I would consider making it yourself. I've seen several different options for making your own. Pinterest probably has lots of them.

You could always do a simpler version too... make pretty plate of fruit kebabs and then add some small dishes of fruit dips such as caramel, chocolate, white chocolate, etc.

4. philipgust

philipgustMember

Threads:
    Anything out of marzipan is awesome!

5. Zyni

ZyniWell-Known Member

Threads:
    So, did you ever come up with another option, Joan? Are you going to try to make an arrangement yourself? They are a bit messy but not really too difficult. So pretty though.

I wanted to make a fruit bouquet for a shower once but just ran out of time, so I did the kebabs instead. I just bought cheap bamboo skewers and an assortment of fruit. I alternated which fruits I placed in which order so they each looked different then piled them on a pretty platter. I made simple fruit dip using a container of vanilla yogurt, some whipped topping, and some cinnamon sugar, mixed together. It went over really well.

6. DreekLass

DreekLassWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Oh wow. I did was not actually aware of the fact that there was such a thing as edible flower-like fruit arrangements. I just had to go on Google and look at the images. They look really tasty and healthy, and pretty at the same time. I have not looked at the prices, but I would not pay anything over £10 for one lol, especially when you could make them yourself, given enough patience.

7. Zyni

ZyniWell-Known Member

Threads:
    They are very pretty, but not pretty enough for me to pay $30 and up for them. They are time consuming to make and a little messy, which is probably why a lot of people would rather just pay for one. Personally, when I see things like this, I take it as a challenge, lol. It's like, "Hmm.. I know I could make that." So, then I try to do it.

8. troutski

troutskiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Edible arrangements cost far too much for holiday occasions, although they're more than worth it for bigger occasions like weddings and parties. Anyways, your only low-cost option is to make one yourself, although that's exactly what you want to avoid. I'm sure there are discount edible arrangements somewhere online or from a local shop.

9. steph84

steph84Active Member

Threads:
    They are very cute and I loved the edible arrangement my boyfriend's parents gave me last easter. It came with chocolate covered pineapples that were shaped into bunnies. Adorable and kind of worth it for the cute presentation!

10. kjonesm1

kjonesm1Active Member

Threads:
    As far as I know there are two options. 1 order it from somewhere or 2 make it yourself. I prefer to order them even though they are pricey, I'm not very crafty so they look better than what I could do at home. I have tried making them and even though it's fun it didn't come out as nice as I would have liked. I suggest that if you have a creative bone in your body and you want to save money to give a home made one a shot.

11. Feneth

FenethActive Member

Threads:
    I got one for mother's day once and LOVED it. But they're really expensive for my budget too. I'm not artistic enough to make them either but that's an awesome idea.

12. JoanMcWench

JoanMcWenchActive Member

Threads:
    I decided to do it myself. Found some cheap cutters on eBay & I plan to use the Easter chocolate I got on sale after Easter to coat some strawberries/marshmallows/pineapple. It's just way too expensive their way.

13. JoanMcWench

JoanMcWenchActive Member

Threads:
    Just an update: Mother loved the gift but there was a special surprise that she was unaware of...
    IT WAS A DRUNK FRUIT BOUQUET

I just soaked what I used in complimentary different alcohols. I wanted to keep it a secret as long as I could but my guy kept convincing me she was going to end up going to work drunk unbeknownst to herself (which makes no sense unless you consciously ignore that it tastes of alcohols). *sigh* Would have been hilarious.

14. Feneth

FenethActive Member

Threads:
    Nice! I'll have to remember that trick if I decide to try making one. We're fond of alcoholic fruit at family reunions. :)