Educational Apps

Discussion in Mobile Apps & Games started by Diane_H • Jun 15, 2015.

1. Diane_H

Diane_HNew Member

Threads:
    My daughter and have been discussing what we can do to supplement my three year old grandson's learning activities. We've looked at apps directed at toddlers including Leap frog, Disney, and PBS, but he's quickly bored of them, and they usually focus on somewhat repetitive themes or fairy tales.

While we aren't looking for apps that will babysit him, we are hoping to find something he can play or watch during car trips or grocery trips, that will have actual educational content. Have any recommendations?

2. Aasif Khan

Aasif KhanMember

Threads:
    I will recommend some apps for your three year old. The first four apps are available for both Android and iOS

1. AlphaTots Alphabet: It features 26 puzzles and mini-games all aimed towards helping children learn the alphabet.

2. Peg + Cat Big Gig: Through singing, Peg and Cat will help your child identify numbers, count up and down by ones and twos, and repeat patterns.

3. Animatch: It features farm and safari animals. It is perfect for developing concentration, memorization skills.

4. Monkey Preschool Lunchbox: This app will ntroduce your child to letters, colors, shapes, counting, and pattern recognition.

5. Etch a Sketch HD for iPad: Your kids can create artwork freehand on an iPad with this app.

3. Diane_H

Diane_HNew Member

Threads:
    Thank you for the recommendations. I will check them out. On a side note, I came across ABCmouse.com children's academy, that seems like a pretty comprehensive site with educational games for children from 2-6. They have a free trial and a low membership fee. I tried my grandson on a couple of the puzzles, and he seems fairly engaged with the ones he'd played.

4. Corzhens

CorzhensWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have seen a lot of educational games but this is the first time I have encountered educational apps. Well, from the looks of it, those educational apps would be best for pre-schoolers. Come to think of it, some pre-schoolers have their own smart phones or tablets already so those apps can serve them well.

5. ankitjainin

ankitjaininNew Member

Threads:
    search at the Google play store as from there you will get some ultimate... apps.

6. samanthafox

samanthafoxNew Member

Threads:
    i found this online

looks like an useful resource

7. Samuel Smith

Samuel SmithNew Member

Threads:
    My little son plays often Learn o‘Polis educational games. They are simple and fun and I like that they have clear user interfaces and are without ad interruption. They seem really kid-friendly to me.

You can take a look:

8. thenextGeek

thenextGeekActive Member

Threads:
    I'd just like to put this app out there because I found this very useful.

Duolingo - This app is helpful for anyone who wants to learn other languages. This app provides you with different tutorials, and teaches you your chosen language through different means which engages you further. The best thing about this app is that it's totally FREE! And there are lots of languages to choose from.

9. shoptodrop

shoptodropActive Member

Threads:
    If they're bored easily, try the usual like coloring books. You can also type educational things up and print them off for them to trace or work on. Try different books from the dollar store. I'm surprised they get bored easily with the games, but maybe you just haven't found the right one yet. Keep trying, I'm sure you'll land on it. My daughter likes just about anything. She can play it over and over for a while, but she also loves books. There are some at Walmart you can get that are geared toward preschool and kindergarten, they also have dry erase books that my daughter LOVES. They're so great. They even come with an eraser. Check those out.

10. DonnaIReilly

DonnaIReillyActive Member

Threads:
    I think if you google educational sites, you will find coloring pages for children that you can print out, plus games you can print. Dot to dot sheets etc.

this is a good one for coloring pages.