Efforts To Eating Healthier

Discussion in Food & Drink started by Gelsemium • Feb 10, 2015.

1. Gelsemium

GelsemiumWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I feel that most people is aware that we do not eat healthy and that most of us want to eat healthier. The main issue here for me is, what efforts do we do to make that happen? What do you do to eat healthier?

2. missbishi

missbishiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    When I want to eat a little more healthier, I just make sure I don't buy any unhealthy foods at the supermarket. If things like cakes, candy and biscuits are not on the cupboards, then I can't eat them!

3. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    When I first started out, my biggest hurdle was my husband lol. Sort of like the above poster, I felt my first step was getting everything out of the house, but it would always magically reappear lol. Once he got over his own addictions to these foods, we were all set. But there lies the problem.. getting over the addiction. For some that means substitutes. I ate a LOT of fruit when I first started out.. if I needed something sweet, I wasn't deprived and it helped me get over cravings. It also became much more desirable than my old sweets. Once you eat nothing but whole foods for a while, you gain a huge appreciation for them and the old food won't taste the same. But more than anything it's how you view food. If you view the other stuff like it's more desirable than whole foods etc, something you're depriving yourself of, then it will always be a struggle you will always lose. If you decide all that food is sabotaging and hurting you; things start to change.

4. hellavu

hellavuActive Member

Threads:
    I don't really make any effort, my weight has been pretty stable (and healthy) for the last few years. I love to cook, and I guess I don't go out of my way to eat unhealthily like some people do (always eating these ready frozen or canned meals with too much sodium and not enough nutrients, eating a lot of junk food, drinking soda, etc)

So, I think that because I just eat the way I was raised to, I'm pretty fine with just eating my standard homecooked plates. I'll probably try more in the future, as I grow older, though.

5. Andrea Phillips

Andrea PhillipsActive Member

Threads:
    A good effort is to eat more fresh fruits and vegetables and less processed foods. One thing that makes a big impact on health, is oil. If you stop eating refined oil, and eat the unrefined oils, it will make you feel lighter and will instantly begin to improve your health. As soon as I made the switch, I was able to heal some serious health problems I was having and I have felt better and better since then.

6. PrettyBrainQueen

PrettyBrainQueenBanned

Threads:
    Sometimes eating healthier consists of not eating what we are already. For instance fast food will have to be removed, period. Especially if weight loss is in the discussion. Fried foods, greasy foods and cakes etc. will be the true test. My husband has gotten me to eat healthier with fruits and coursed meals but I get a cookie out of the jar from time to time.

7. hayrake

hayrakeActive Member

Threads:
    I don't eat out at fast food places. I avoid all sodas and anything with caffeine, sticking with water and, occasionally, herbal teas or a small glass of juice. I tend to believe that when people think about eating healthier they forget about what they drink, so that's why I'm bringing that up.
    I also avoid eating processed snacks when possible. Sometimes, though, prepackaged things are just what's practical in the moment--but never at home.
    I don't care for anything in a can, either; so all of my soups and such as that are homemade.
    The one problem I have is that I'm cursed with a sweet tooth that seems to demand more than I'd like to feed it; but, there again, I try to at least avoid the prepackaged things at home. I do purchase some for taking to camp when my husband and I go there.

8. Gelsemium

GelsemiumWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Yes, that's one of my options too, avoid fast food. As for the rest, I try to eat as much fruit and vegetables as possible, I notice that when I eat 3-4 pieces of fruit per day, my body does thank me.