Electric Choices

Discussion in Gas & Electricity started by Rhoda D'ettore • Jan 21, 2015.

1. Rhoda D'ettore

Rhoda D'ettoreMember

Threads:
    With deregulation of the electric monopoly, people are now given choices as to where they can purchase the electricity. Apparently they still get billed by the same company, but that company purchases the electric from another company, allowing the lower bills.

Has anyone done this?

2. MrsJones

MrsJonesActive Member

Threads:
    We've opted to go with another electric supplier. When I spoke with them and again in the letter received the savings should be reflected in February 2015. We'll see...

Before deciding to go with a different supplier I actually found a most recent bill and asked how to be able to tell if I was saving on cost and they were very helpful. But again, we'll see...

3. Happyflowerlady

HappyflowerladyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have never heard of this program, and i don't think that they have it here in Alabama where I live. We have the City of Huntsville, which provides all of the electricity, gas, water, and trash pickup.
    One of the worst things is that they not only charge your for water that youuse, they then triple that amount, and charge you that as water that goes down the drain and into the sewer system.
    While this may be true in mmany cases; it is certainly not always the case, and is a very poor way of charging, in my opinion.
    In the summer, when you are watering your lawn and garden and using more water, then it is counted in the sewer bill, even though it only went into the lawn or garden.
    On the other hand, when it is pouring down rain, and actually going into the sewer, it is not charged at all.
    To avoid this extra charge, you have to have a separate outdoor faucet hooked up that is designated as outside water for the lawn and garden.
    As far as electricity goes, there is no other choice than paying the city to provide it.

4. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I would like to use some sort of solar power for the house instead of using the big guys which is costing so much money and poluting the air and environment. The windmills are also a good source of free or less expensive systems that we can use to heat and cool our homes.