Electric Fan

Discussion in Home & Garden started by DrRipley • Feb 15, 2015.

1. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    My electric fan just broke and I'm thinking of having it fixed, though I'm thinking if I should just get a new one since new fans here cost only about $20 and probably having it fixed would cost me around $10. I'm still going to check just to be sure but just in case I'm going to buy a new one I'd love to hear what types of fans you guys like so I could have a better idea of what to get next.

As of now I have an industrial floor fan which I like because it's really powerful, but even the lowest setting is really strong though I kind of like it like that since the less powerful ones don't really appeal to me.

2. Squigly

SquiglyActive Member

Threads:
    I'd probably just buy a new one. Fans are getting cheaper and cheaper since they're largely manufactured in China nowadays. I'd still try to find a mid-range one around 20-30 dollars over a generic brand fan.

3. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    You're on the right track with checking the prices anyway.

If you really like your current one and you can't find something comparable for the same price or less, then just have this one replaced. Otherwise, you're going to compromise your happiness with it for only a few bucks and that's not relaly worth it.

4. joycemcgregor

joycemcgregorMember

Threads:
    What happened to your fan? Did the blades just stop turning? Can you hear the motor running? If the blades have stopped turning, but you can hear the motor, you might try removing the back of the fan casing and using qtips and paper towels, clean all of the lint out of it. Then spray the piece that holds the blades (from the back) with WD40. I have window fans I have been using over 10 yrs simply because at the end of "fan season" every year, I give them a good cleaning. I wipe down the blades with a paper towel I have sprayed a cleaner on and then clean out all of the lint I can using qtips and then give the workings a good WD40 spray. I turn the fan on for just a few minutes, then store it away until I need them again.

5. May102014

May102014Active Member

Threads:
    Just buy a new one, you could actually save some money. It is okay to have it fix but you can never be sure that it will not break again. When buying electrical appliances such as fan, I always go for those trusted brands. It is a bit expensive compared to those generic brands, but they usually last long.

Industrial fan is too powerful for me that it leaves me with a stuffy nose. I prefer the regular fan.

6. troutski

troutskiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    You might as well purchase a brand new fan, though you might want to get a slightly weaker fan to avoid getting a little too much wind from it. Fixing the fan might only fix the problem temporarily, and then even one more repair makes it a much better idea to purchase new.

7. Zyni

ZyniWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Normally, I'd say buy a new one, but like Jessi said, you may not be able to find a comparable model for a reasonable price. Small appliances are made to be replaced these days, but if you have a good quality one that you are happy with, it may well be worth having it repaired.

Price isn't everything. Sometimes, spending a little more is the better value, if you end up with better quality products that work better and last longer. I'm careful about giving up older, well-made items, to replace them with cheap alternatives.