Electric stove or classic gas?

Discussion in Home & Garden started by daimashin • Feb 27, 2014.

1. daimashin

daimashinActive Member

Threads:
    Do you believe that electric stove is better than using gas? Although I know that electric stoves have its benefits but I still prefer to use gas for cooking. For one, electric stoves are quite expensive here and it takes up electricity, another expensive commodity. When factored in with other stuff, it's just more economical to use gas instead.

2. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Yes I agree, our neighbor uses electric stove instead of gas, and her electric bill is really expensive. We have an electric stove as well, but we never use it. We prefer to use gas instead because it's more practical and the expenses are not that big.

3. randee555

randee555Active Member

Threads:
    I use an electric stove but have used gas in the past when I lived elsewhere. I didn't like the gas because I have anxiety and get paranoid and anxious easily and always was nervous that the gas would leak out or something. I do know people who prefer gas though but aside from bills, I don't see a difference in the taste of the food.

4. Hedonologist

HedonologistActive Member

Threads:
    I have used an electric stove for the past 16 years. I recently had to buy a new one and it only cost £120 so not very expensive at all. I know that price wise gas is a third of the cost of electricity, but electric stoves are more efficient. I prefer them, although I still use a gas stove.

5. JoanMcWench

JoanMcWenchActive Member

Threads:
    I hate electric stoves. I hate them. I recently just got a new stove (range) from Sears and the pilot is electric. Totally unaware that this is just the way stoves are built today. I understand it's safer than a gas pilot that may go out every now and again but I dislike that as well. Down with electric.

6. Lostvalleyguy

LostvalleyguyActive Member

Threads:
    I am stuck with an electric stove where I live, but if I had the option it would be gas all the way. It is actually the oven that I want to be gas, couldn't care less about the stove top. I find that gas cooks better than electric for browning meat and baking.

7. Hedonologist

HedonologistActive Member

Threads:
    I find that strange. Personally I need a gas stove as you can adjust the temperature rapidly. Also you can tilt the pan into certain points of the flame which you can do with an electric stove. I am also concerned with the carbon monoxide risk of an open gas flame in the oven, and also do not like the smell.

8. marmunmrhundun

marmunmrhundunBanned

Threads:
    I prefer a electric stove. It is what is safest for me, and it is also the easiest. I know electric stoves come with different types of features as well. So I am going with the electric stove with this one.

9. daimashin

daimashinActive Member

Threads:
    I'm with you on this one. I think a gas pilot can be as safe as everything else if you know how to take care of it. I've been using gas all my life and never once had the fire go out when I'm using it. Maybe I'm old school but I think cooking with electricity doesn't look as good as with using gas.

10. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    Electric stoves seem a lot safer, and I'm relatively sure they are widely regarded as such, but I think it's a lot more fun cooking with actual fire so I'd almost always pick gas if I could. I think electric is a bit more practical, though, especially if gas is a lot more expensive in your particular area. Also, I'd consider the fact that some areas don't have gas lines wherein I'd more likely need to exchange tanks constantly, in which case, I'd probably consider just going electric a lot more even if it does end up being a little more expensive since I at least will save a lot on time and effort.

11. delusional

delusionalActive Member

Threads:
    I like gas stoves more because electric heating costs a lot. I have used both and I can tell you, gas costs a lot less than electricity. So I wouldn't even doubt it.

12. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I wish I had an electric stove. Everything in my apartment is electric except the stove. Even the water heater is electric. So I just bought a countertop oven and a hotplate for now.
    Maybe next year, I'll pay to get the gas turned on. But right now I can't justify getting the gas turned on just for one appliance.

13. Gelsemium

GelsemiumWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I never had an electric stove and to be honest I am not planning on getting one because my gas stove works just fine. Apart from that where I live (is this worldwide?) electricity is far more expensive than gas, so I wouldn't like to have another appliance that increases my electric bill, I have enough with heating!

14. deansaliba

deansalibaActive Member

Threads:
    We have just invested in our first electric cooker and I absolutely hate it! It cooks differently and the oven is in centigrade instead of gas mark numbers. Plus it has an alarm clock on it that seems to go off whenever it wants to! My mum has one and she said she loves it and owuld never go back to gas, so horses for courses I guess.

15. rossonomous

rossonomousActive Member

Threads:
    I use electric and have done for the past few years. Before that I had gas and I have to say, I definitely preferred the gas. It seemed to heat up a lot quicker and cooking times were reduced for me.

Gas can be a little dangerous sometimes and it is definitely more expensive.