Electricity cost?

Discussion in Gas & Electricity started by Mayvin • Aug 19, 2014.

1. Mayvin

MayvinActive Member

Threads:
    Curious to know on average what you're paying for electricity? Does it seem reasonable or is the cost a bit outrageous? I usually pay close to $350 a month on electricity and that's not even with the air conditioner running because it's broken right now. The cost of electricity to me just seems high.

2. Verity Darkwaters

Verity DarkwatersActive Member

Threads:
    That seems really high to me. In the summer it is expensive. It runs 150-190 and that is really expensive to us. In the winter, not so much, we're the kind of bundle up people and only turn it on if it is freezing so $70-$100. Then again, we also live in a two bedroom apartment and not a house, so that could be the difference. If you're home has high ceilings or a second story that could be the reason for the high bill. Or lack of insulation in your house.

3. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I pay $48 a month when I don't use the air conditioner at all and $60 a month when I use the air conditioner for a few days on the hottest days of the summer.

4. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Our bill now is typically at $50 to $60 per month only. We don't have aircon though, so I guess if we had one it will be higher. Only the 2 tv's, the pc and the electric fan are the main appliances being used everyday in here.

5. iam911

iam911Member

Threads:
    Some of you guys seem to have a small bill, while others have an insanely large bill. I recently moved to a new apartment in a new city. For my first bill, I was billed for 13 days, and the total for those days was a little over $40. This was with very minimal AC usage, but all my appliances are electric, including the stove. Following this trend and extending it to a month, it should average to about $100 a month. I thought this was expensive, as my old place was charged about $60 during the summer. The thought of paying more than $300 a month seems insane to me and that is without running the AC. I would definitely check with your electric company to see if there is anything you can do to lower your bill. Maybe your appliances are due for an upgrade, as I think old versions of fridges and other appliances are not as energy efficient.

6. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    The last time that I had to deal with a $300 electric bill was when I rented a room in a house and the electricity was split among everyone in the house. Those big electric bills seem to be typical for houses, not apartments. The frustrating thing about the big bill for the house is that one of the other people in the house used to run the air conditioning constantly. I'm really glad I don't have to share electricity anymore and can control my usage. Beware of rental situations where you share electricity with wasteful people and have to split the bill.

7. lindbergh

lindberghWell-Known Member

Threads:
    We pay 45 bucks a month. We don't have an air conditioner. We only use one TV. However, we have a lot of electric fans (5). At night, 3 electric fans are being used simultaneously while we sleep. Aside from those appliances, we also use 3 laptops and a bunch of mobile phones. Maybe 5 mobile phones are being charged for at least 2 hours in one day. We also have 5 light bulbs. But, I think the electricity hog would be our electric water pump. :(

8. wulfman

wulfmanActive Member

Threads:
    Wow electricity is really cheap where you guys live. Or it is really high where I live :p . But I keep the A/C on through the night and much of the afternoon. Average bill comes out to $125/ month in the summer.
    In the winter approximately $58/month. I have 2 refrigerators and a deep freeze. I have 2 flat screen TVs. And 4 A/C units.

9. JoshPosh

JoshPoshBanned

Threads:
    The killer for any electric bill is over usage of air conditioning, electric stoves, and clothes dryer.

Limit your air con usage by using regular house fans and drinking a lot of ice water.

Electric stoves should be replaced with gas stoves or a microwave.

Try to air dry your clothes by hanging them on a clothes line. Another option is you find a propane dryer.