E.T. - the eternal movie

Discussion in Product Reviews started by Gelsemium • Nov 12, 2014.

1. Gelsemium

GelsemiumWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't think that there is a person in the world that hasn't seen this movie, or am I wrong? :) I've seen it many times, I saw it as a kid and I am seeing it now again because my kids keep asking me to see it. What about you, do you love it as well?

ET_Moon.

2. xTinx

xTinxWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Yep, seen it a few times while growing up. It was nice and kind of funny although much of the plot has escaped my memory. I haven't watched it in a decade. ET had this habit of pointing his finger and it glowed as though it were Rudolph's nose. Anyhow, the movie was a trendsetter. It gave Hollywood a strong alien movie industry.

3. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I remember seeing a a child as my aunt's friend took us as she was looking after us for the day. None of us had a clue what it was about, so we went in blind and loved it. What I like is the innocence and loyalty shown in the film. Traits that people lack these days and that bonds can form, no matter what.

The phrase, 'Phone home' is a classic! It came out after Star Wars so there was a whole era of sci-fi then and now with more CGI.

4. Onionman

OnionmanActive Member

Threads:
    It's one of the handful of Spielberg films that I actually like (I find his movies a bit "sugary"). The best thing about it is that even after all these advances in technology it's still able to hold its own. It's a simple story about friendship that holds its own even after all these years.

5. valiantx

valiantxActive Member

Threads:
    E.T. was okay as a PG and under to watch movie, but I prefer PG-13 and up movies since I was a child - I don't need to be sheltered, I can manage to interpret and learn things myself like a man. The movie itself dragged on far too long than needed, and wasn't as great once one starts analyzing it with a critical mind. However, the E.T. movie poster is in fact a allusion to Michaelangelo's "The Creation of Adam" painting that formed part of Sistine Chapel ceiling - I believe Spielberg was implying that God may have been a E.T., or what I believe also,"A created concept of the human mind."

I rather watch Spielberg's "Encounter with the Third Kind" movies instead, because it's more true to how people may react to a extraterrestrial event and the fact that many abductees have said that the entities in the movie looked very similar to the ones they've experienced.

6. Dora M

Dora MWell-Known Member

Threads:
    E.T. is a classic. I've only seen the movie once or twice, and I really like it as it was a very innovative film at the time when it was produced. It was visually very well developed and deserves a lot of respect. But despite of it, E.T. is not exactly among my favorite movies, probably because I'm from a different generation and don't have any sentimental attachment to the 80's or the characters in the film.

7. gmckee1985

gmckee1985Active Member

Threads:
    It's been a long time since I have seen it to be honest. Of course I saw it as a kid and I loved it as most kids did at the time. As children we seem to have a fascination with extra terrestials and space in general. I think that continues to this day. If I had children I would definitely play it for them. It seems to have a timeless quality that appeals to adults and children alike even to this very day. I think that says a lot about the quality of the film and it's timeless nature.

8. Gelsemium

Threads:
    I've seen it quite a few times as a kid and one day it was on TV and both my kids loved it, so they asked me to get it for them. Now they have it on the external drive and they see it from time to time, so it's a nice ride to the past. :)

9. JessiFox

JessiFoxActive Member

Threads:
    I've seen it TOO many times...my little cousin (who I used to babysit quite a bit) grew up beyond obsessed with it. It was cute at first but trust me, it gets old real quick! lol. I'd be fine never encountering ET again.

10. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    My favorite movie of all time, despite the fact that I otherwise almost exclusively only watch horror movies and documentaries. I was around 5 or 6 when this movie came out and remembered being so excited about seeing it in the theaters. My dad took me to see it, just him and I, not the whole family, which made it even more special. I never realized that Speilberg himself was actually very much affected by the divorce of his own parents, and how much of that made it's way into this film. "Father figures" or a lack thereof I've read are a common undertone in many of his films.

Rumor has it the real underlying story in the film is that Elliot makes up an imaginary friend to cope with the breakup of his family - that "friend" happens to be E.T.. There are some very eagle eyed reviews of the movie that go through all the evidence to support this theory. How the family never directly interacts with E.T., how perhaps they are aware that Elliot has made this imaginary friend and are simply playing along with it all, how the father is absent throughout the whole film...etc... It insinuates that how we see the film might be through Elliot's eyes and imagination rather than actual reality. It's a really interesting spin on things, and even interview with Speilberg during that time seem to indicate that's what he was really doing with the movie.

I went to see it by myself back in 2002 when it was re-released in theaters, and was probably one of the only people in the theater, and remember bawling my eyes out the whole time, lol.

Of course, I still have all my ET toys and memorabilia from the 80's, including a stuffed ET, the picture disc LP soundtrack from the movie, a picture book from the movie, McDonalds toys and a whole bunch of other stuff.

11. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I'm one of the few people who has never seen it. I only know of it from the scenes I've seen parodied and I've also come across some of the iconic scenes in some reviews and montages but that's about the extent of the idea I have of the movie. I also know the basic plot, somewhat, but I guess I'm just not too interested in alien stories.

12. wulfman

wulfmanActive Member

Threads:
    Wow really ? I saw it once. It was not that good as it was hyped up to be but you should see it once. It is more of an inspirational feel good story than an alien 'Independence Day' type thing.

13. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I actually have never watched E.T. yet in my whole life. But I've seen those E.T. trailers and it features a little Drew Barrymore in it. Maybe when I get super bored I would seek the film out so that I could watch it.

14. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I adore ET :) I remember the first time I saw it in the theaters when I was little.. I cried like a baby! One of the best movies ever. My husband and I went to see the 20 year anniversary addition in the theater for one of our first dates and although I still loved it, I don't like when they mess with a classic and add in little details that weren't there before. (or take them away! They replaced guns with walkie talkies! lol.. I'm pretty anti-gun when it comes to reality.. but toys and movies, give me a break.) ET was perfect as he was..

Those who are younger and haven't seen it yet, probably won't appreciate it near as much. Movies aren't made like they used to be and I don't care how old that makes me sound! haha

15. DesignerMum

DesignerMumActive Member

Threads:
    I watched E.T. as a child and throughout growing up I watched E.T. In fact, that's all I do growing up, watch films. As I age, I began to pay attention to not only the wardrobe and the facial expression of the children in the film, but the original soundtrack for the film. It's actually not the same sounds they used when Spielberg filmed it in 1982. There were many additions to the soundtrack in 1996 and then again in 2002. The order of sounds are kept in order of the scenes. :eek:

16. Gelsemium

Threads:
    Actually I never noticed that, I did found a version of the movie and that is the one I am watching, so I never considered that the movie has been optimized. Either cases, the movie is still great and my kids love it, I wonder if their kids will love it too. :)