Etsy?

Discussion in Stores Reviews, Comments & Complaints started by Eric John • Apr 16, 2012.

1. Eric John

Eric JohnNew Member

Threads:
    Anyone used Etsy lately and have any comments or success stories? I have been using eBay lately but so many things just expire without any bids. I was wondering if people have better success at Etsy and whether I am just targeting the wrong customers through Ebay. It looks promising, as most of my stuff is art related. Thanks.

2. scottyxx

scottyxxExpert

Threads:
    I have bought off Etsy before, in my opinion most fo the stuff is overprices rubbish. I am looking to try and sell some stuff on Etsy, since I make my own soaps, and bathbombs, I think it is a better place for someone like me to sell. I just haven't found the time to try it out though!

Nice to see a fellow Scot on the forums! Where are you from Eric?

3. mrsalphabet

mrsalphabetMember

Threads:
    I buy and sell through Etsy.

For buying I have had great success. Everything I have purchased has been good quality and I have been satisified.

As for selling....well I haven't had huge success. If you items are unique you may have better luck. I sell hairclips and they are thousands of sellers that do as well, so it's easy to get lost in the shuffle so to speak. I use the site mainly so loca people can see what I have and then they come and get it lol!

4. Eric John

Eric JohnNew Member

Threads:
    A little town called Stirling? Maybe you know of it, as it is quite the city. Thanks for your replies. I think this is the issue with any site, seems like a great place to buy, but selling is hit or miss. Guess I'll give it a go. The only thing that made me weary is the .20 listing fee per item on Etsy. On Ebay, the first 50 listings are free.

5. daisiesndots

daisiesndotsMember

Threads:
    I buy from Etsy occasionally. Lately I have been buying removable vinyl stickers for my new house to decorate with. I do feel that a lot of items are over priced. The only other items that I have bought from the site has been earrings and purses. But I am pretty picky, I wont pay a lot for something when I could find the same thing somewhere else for cheaper. I used to sell on there but didn't have much success. I tried to sell button jewelry but there were a lot of other people on there as well selling the same thing.

6. SEA81

SEA81Active Member

Threads:

After ten years of selling on ebay (100% positive feedback) and getting fed up with their policies that basically do nothing but punish small sellers, I decided to try Etsy. I'm not having as much luck. I agree with the previous poster who said a lot of things get lost in the mix if you don't sell original items. It's frustrating. Obviously, you can't sell the same types of things on Etsy as you could on Ebay either, which makes it a little more frustrating.

Has anyone found a good alternative to ebay where you can sell just about anything?

7. btatro

btatroActive Member

Threads:
    A lot of things on Etsy are overpriced, but you can find many reasonably priced items as well. I buy all my kids winter hats off Etsy. I can always find really cute handmade crocheted ones. I also recently ordered some invitation for my sister's bridal shower. I paid $10.00 for the design with the ability to print elsewhere for my cost.

8. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    I think with Etsy you really need to advertise -outside- the site. With Ebay, people have something they want already in mind, then go search on Ebay, and then find which item they want to purchase. With Etsy, it seems like most people are browsing the web, see something they like on a site, and then follow a link -to- an Etsy store where they may or may not purchase at that point. Most people don't specifically go to Etsy to buy various goods at random.