Ever bought accessories you didn't plan on buying

Discussion in Fashion & Apparel started by Denis Hard • May 28, 2014.

1. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    One trick stores use to get you to buy stuff you do not need is by selling their clothes pretty much expensively and to entice you into buying a relatively 'cheaper' accessory, they could be placed side by side to bring into sharp focus their cost difference. If some slick salesmen comments that you'd probably look good with that the 'cheap' would be a great complement . . .

It could be anything but point is if you hadn't planned to buy it you could also spend money on more accessories you didn't plan on buying.

Have any of you ever fallen for this trap or do you simply buy only what you had to buy and leave?

2. Miaka_M

Miaka_MActive Member

Threads:
    These salespeople and merchandisers are so tricky haha. I did buy something like this once. I bought a couple tops and there was cheap earrings beside them, they seemed to match perfectly and there were about 20 pairs for a great price of $5 (they were on sale). I hadn't planned on buying new earrings, but alas, I did just that lol. I actually wear them still. :)

3. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I have fallen for this trap when I was much younger, because accessories were a lot more fun to me back then than they are now. That's not to say that the tactic has stopped working for me or that it's necessarily what made me stop buying them, because I always willingly do this in groceries with the mall knickknacks at the counter. I enjoy it and they aren't expensive anyway, so I usually go for it unless I'm feeling frugal at that particular day.

4. prettycolors

prettycolorsActive Member

Threads:
    This is similar to the way supermarkets sell gum, razors or candy. They put these cheap products near the registry so that when you wait in line to pay you buy on impulse :D So yes, it has happened to me. Most times when I make an expensive purchase and then see the dirt cheap accessories, I'm like - why not buy some, I already payed a fortune anyway. And while some times I wear those accessories, most times I don't and they end up as gifts for my friends.

5. isabbbela

isabbbelaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    All the time... I have a bunch of accessories I don't use, just because usually a cute watch and some earrings are enough accessories for me, yet somehow I'm always buying scarves, necklaces, belts in hopes of magically start wearing those. Not that I don't ever wear them, but I have a bunch I got on a whim and never used.

6. wander_n_wonder

wander_n_wonderActive Member

Threads:
    I am very guilty of this habit in the past, but now, I have learned how to control this better. I have too much in my cabinet already and in fact, for accessories, I end up not really using all of them. I keep using the same piece all the time, so I don't really see the point of having too much of them. I think as long as you have a few creative pieces, that can already help in creating different looks for you.

7. Parker

ParkerWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Yes, I have. I really have a thing for purses. I have gone shopping with my girlfriends with no intention of buying anything and end up buying a purse or some piece of jewelry. I have recently developed a thing for jewelry. It's usually the color that catches my eye.

8. jewel777

jewel777Active Member

Threads:
    Sometimes I get discouraged when something I tried on at the store doesn't fit. And then when I see some kind of an accessory, such as jewelry or a purse, it makes me feel comforted to be able to buy something for myself, even if it's something little. But I usually end up wearing the piece I bought and enjoying it.

9. Sweetkymom

SweetkymomActive Member

Threads:
    I used to fall in this for myself but now that I have a daughter, I do it for her. She likes her clothes and bling too. I will not spend a fortune but a couple dollars don't hurt. I've worked retail since before legal age so I pretty well know their sale tactics.

10. forextraspecialstuff

forextraspecialstuffActive Member

Threads:
    I do this all the time, and don't even realize I am doing it. I like buying accessories because I feel I get a lot of bang for my buck, I can wear them with multiple outfits and they can really spruce up an otherwise plain and/or boring outfit. I think buying cheap accessories or even accessories that are a bit more of an investment is a smart way to save money...aside from not buying anything.

11. Neperon

NeperonActive Member

Threads:
    It happens like this sometimes i mean when we don't think of buying something but still you buy it like this so this is what i find inappropriate because at the end finally its about your liking so happening this thing is very common and easy thing.

12. whnuien

whnuienActive Member

Threads:
    I have been tempted many times by this trick, but thankfully so far I have not fell for this yet. I really don't want to spend money on something I don't really need or I may need but I will not use it often.

It is quite a good idea for those sales people though as a way to tempt their customers to take more money out of their wallet :D

13. etc

etcActive Member

Threads:
    Alot of times I get to buy things I didn't plan just like what happen few days ago. I passby an S&R store and thought maybe I can find a better rod for the curtains in my room. I end up buying a hand drill because I thought maybe its going to be of great help in the house and i also bought a 25 feet hose for the garden and god knows when I'm going to be doing it.

14. 003

003Well-Known Member

Threads:
    Yes, not just accessories but also a lot more else like extra clothes or toys. I have such a weak control in buying. I always give in to temptations, of buying the things I have unexpectedly seen and that I am not prepared to buy. It's the downside of having credit card. It's supposed to be an immediate support whenever you need something but you don't have cash to buy it. Using it, I am able to spend more than the money I am supposed to spend.