Ever Bought Something . . .

Discussion in Misc & Others started by Denis Hard • Mar 21, 2015.

1. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    . . . and you never used it?

I bought a lot of cinnamon a few months back and only later did I realize that I'd developed a cinnamon allergy. Since I couldn't use the spice anymore I had to give it all to a neighbor instead of throwing it out.

Have any of you been as unlucky as me? Bought something and for some reason you couldn't use it?

2. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Yes, I bought a Kiehl's facial cleanser and it had milk proteins as an ingredient. I have a lactose intolerance but didn't think it would be external as well. It made my skin dry and red and so even when I tried it later on after a few weeks, I had to give it away.I can use their other products, it was just this one.

3. pwarbi

pwarbiActive Member

Threads:
    I haven't personally but I know a few that do. They can't resist a bargain or it seems like a good idea at the time, only for it to be put at the back of the cupboard or wardrobe to be forgotten about.

4. xTinx

xTinxWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I own that I have the same propensity. I bought a number of things in the past and never really used them. A few picture frames have gathered dust on top of shelves in our living room. Two of my shoes have faded and I but used them once or twice since I bought them years ago. There are also clothes that seem appealing at first but I somehow lost the motivation or could not find the right occasion to wear them. I'm thinking of just donating things I'm not using to those who need them.

5. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Oh I have lots of that! I used to buy clothes that I really liked the design, but since the biggest size looks too fitted for me, I still ended up buying it since I figured I would lose weight eventually. That day never came, lol. I remember I bought slacks that fitted me around that time, I haven't used it yet, and now I can't wear it anymore. I do love to collect stuff too, so I'm also naturally inclined to buy a lot of things I don't need just to add to my collection.

6. DreekLass

DreekLassWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I feel like most people buy things that they want at the time, or either think that they want, and then when it comes down to it, never use what was purchased lol. Humans eh? Hahaha!! I have a few pieces of art that I purchased, and have never put up. Not because I stopped liking them. I still love them, but for some reason I won't put them up. Laziness.

7. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    This happens to me all the time. I sometimes buy clothes or accessories that I later on find out that I don't like so they end up just sitting around collecting dust. Luckily most of these items that I buy don't really cost too much so I don't end up getting too worked up about it, but they are waste of my money nonetheless so I try and be more careful whenever I buy.

8. Nickchick

NickchickWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't believe I have. I try not to waste things so I only purchase what I know I will use. The only thing I can think of is maybe food. There have been a few instances where I took a taste and didn't want anymore. In fact recently I got coffee ice cream because I liked it from another brand. It only took a small bite to know I hated it.
    We've only used our bread maker once but we do plan to use it more sometime. It's just finding the time and more uses for it.

9. Diane Lane

Diane LaneWell-Known Member

Threads:
    This happens every so often with me. I'll buy something, thinking I will use it, but then it turns out to be not quite what I wanted, or doesn't fit. These are often the types of items that go into my containers for my next garage sale, if I don't know of someone who can benefit from them. If they don't sell at the garage sales, I will usually donate them. I also sometimes will list items on Freecycle, but lately, it seems the same people keep trying to grab everything that's offered, so I will sometimes just take them to Goodwill or Purple Heart.

10. missbishi

missbishiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    The only things I've ever bought then not used would be clothes and shoes. Years ago, I had more spare cash and was always shopping. As a result, I ended up with an awful lot of unworn, still-tagged garments. I ended up putting them all on eBay. These days, I mainly shop at charity stores but I still manage to buy things I never get around to wearing.

11. LeopardJones

LeopardJonesActive Member

Threads:
    Usually it’s makeup for me. More so when I’m in an experimental phase or I’m indulging in retail therapy. I’ve mostly stopped the former, but I can feel the urge for the latter coming on again. I’m resisting it because I know I don’t NEED anything new, it’s just a coping mechanism. The money I’ll save if I only buy replacements for things that run out can be put toward something else at the end of the year, either a nicer product than I usually buy, or something altogether different.

12. LilAnn

LilAnnActive Member

Threads:
    my husband is working on getting a truck up and running. They guy he bought it from gave him some bad advice. He ended up with 3 pieces he couldn't do anything with

13. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I used to buy a lot of sexy clothes with cutouts and cropped tops with the idea that I would work on my abs. That never happened and I gave the clothes away.

14. LilAnn

LilAnnActive Member

Threads:
    I hear ya. I have bought so many shirts and pants that will fit me if I ever get back down in size. A few years later and I still have them packed up in a storage building. But I can't bring myself to get rid of them, you know, just in case.

15. GemmaRowlands

GemmaRowlandsActive Member

Threads:
    When I was a teenager, I was always doing things like buying items that I didn't really need, but when I started earning my own money I realised just how much I was wasting by doing this. So now I will take a lot more care, and if I don't think I am going to get the chance to use something, I won't bother to buy it in the first place. You should always think about things, particularly if you know that it is a high value item that you're buying.

16. shoptodrop

shoptodropActive Member

Threads:
    I have and that's why it's better for me to have my money online for a long time until I withdrraw it. I have a bad habit of going to the store and seeing so many cute things for my kids that I end up spending money on things I don't even need, but just want. It makes it harder for me to save when I have cash available like that. I just bought some sand toys for my kids and they don't even like to play with them so they barely ever get used. There were some other things we ended up buying too for the kids that don't get used. They also love to put things into the cart without asking so that makes it hard. If I know they want it, I'm more inclined to get it.
    I definitely need to work on that.

17. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina IsobeWell-Known Member

Threads:
    :oops:Sorry to hear what you went through with cinnamon. We needed a microwave oven and there was one on sale with free shipping too. We don't have a car so it was like a dream come true. When the microwave came through USPS we were so delighted. We plugged it in and unfortunately it didn't work at all. First time it ever happened to us in all these decades that a purchase didn't work! I called the microwave oven customer service and they said go get a refund. Since we had no car I had to ask my cousin to help us return the microwave oven for a full refund luckily.

18. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I used to buy a lot of clothes I never ended up wearing. Trying on clothes that have been tried on by everyone else already gives me the heebie jeebies, so I would take my best shot at eyeballing them and hope for the best. When I'd get home, they either didn't fit or they just didn't look as nice as I thought and they'd just hang in my closet for an eternity lol.