Ever Considered Getting Paid To Tell Others About Your Travels?

Discussion in Travel started by Denis Hard • Dec 27, 2014.

1. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Numerous travel magazines, websites and blogs are always seeking travel articles for their readers enjoyment. Anyone can write a travel article whether they've traveled to some exotic location or not. Plenty of good stuff to write about your hometown. So if you plan to travel and can write relatively well and take some great photos [to accompany the article] it's possible to earn some 'travel' money writing about what you love best: traveling.

Anyone here ever tried selling a travel article?

2. H.C. Heartland

H.C. HeartlandActive Member

Threads:
    Yes, there was one site a couple years ago, whose name escapes me who offered to pay for travel in return for posting about it. They never replied though so I don't know how legitimate it was considering I was already abroad and willing to write about my location at the time. The site was filled with interesting stories and photos though so it seemed like it was a real offer. The closest thing I have done is write short stories based on my experiences. I have some free downloads and my site is called:

for anyone who might be interested in reading about it. I don't really make much from 'free' downloads though so in answer to your questions, 'yes' I have tried, but 'no' I have not yet gotten paid for it. :)

3. Feneth

FenethActive Member

Threads:
    I haven't tried to sell one. I imagine finding the market could have challenges and it wouldn't be steady income. BUT I love the idea of selling travel articles. Even if it didn't finance the trip, if it made a little bit of the trip money back to save for the next trip, it would be worth it.

4. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I used to write for a travel website for students on their gap year and advise them. These days it is harder with more blogs around and articles can go out of date very fast. I met someone who wrote for 'Let's go,' and they were on a tight budget for their books. It is something I would like to do again, but it isn't so well paid, unless you are writing for a particular audience as I was. I used to write a lot on Trip Advisor and people used to contact me and Trip Advisor sent me out decals to award to establishments I deemed worthy as one of their 'top' contributors.

5. steph84

steph84Active Member

Threads:
    I have written travel articles in the past and have had many publishers tell me that it is okay if I have never been to that location. It just felt like I was lying to the public. Sure the money was great, but I couldn't do it anymore because I felt like too much of a fraud.

6. shother

shotherMember

Threads:
    Is that even possible? Cause if it is I would be more than interested in doing it. Travelling is my life, so if I can earn a bit of money too that would be really great.

7. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    That's definitely an area I'd be interested in because I have many tourist places I'd love to write about. I currently write for this site with a travel section, but they dictate what's required and when because they have quotas to fill. I wish I could just churn article after article on travel/holiday destinations because I have a lot of material for that. For sure, if I found a site that was suitable, I'd go for it.

8. Andrea Phillips

Andrea PhillipsActive Member

Threads:
    I dream of being a travel writer, but I am not in a position to travel right now. You make a good suggestion about writing about your home town. Plus, there are different aspects of a place you can write about, like hotels, parks and recreation in, and various cultures. It is worth considering.

9. GemmaRowlands

GemmaRowlandsActive Member

Threads:
    Amongst many of the things that I do, I work for a travel blog. This means that whenever I do anything, I write about it when I get home and get paid a fee for doing so. I can do this whether I am at home or abroad - because my home is somebody else's holiday! There are lots of things that I can write about, so I do normally try to make the most of a day out and have a good write whenever I can. It is definitely worth it, as the only thing that you need to do is to remember what you have done, write it down, and then send it off to your client at the end of the day.