Ever lost your credit card?

Discussion in Credit Cards started by Strykstar • Sep 30, 2014.

1. Strykstar

StrykstarActive Member

Threads:
    A few weeks ago I lost my credit card, it was a very frightening situation.
    I only realized it after about 6 hours so I had no idea if anyone had found and used it, I immediately called my bank and they canceled it, luckily nobody had used it yet, even though it never turned up.

2. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    Nope, I haven't.

I have had my number used before, though, and the credit card company shut down my card for me before I even know there was a problem. They were quite awesome about it.

3. xTinx

xTinxWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I lost my credit card twice in the past as I also had my wallet stolen twice. Well it wasn't such a difficult predicament but they had to change my card number all the time and I had to call the customer service in a dither and request that they cancel my account. During those two occasions, they sent me my new card within 3 days from the day I reported the loss. No sweat. However, I had to cancel my credit card for good because I feared getting addicted to swiping. I switched to debit and had a better time dealing with my finances.

4. pennylane

pennylaneActive Member

Threads:
    I've never lost a card but I have had my number stolen. I have no idea where it happened still but it was a pain canceling everything and getting my money back. I hope I never have to go through all of that again. It's good to hear that your card wasn't used. You were very lucky!

5. tangela

tangelaActive Member

Threads:
    Oh no, never. I'd have a panic attack if I lost something like that. I've always been taught that after you pay and the waitress gives you back the card along with the receipt to sign, the FIRST thing you should do is to put your card back into your wallet. Because if you sign the receipt first you may accidentally bury the card under the receipt or underneath other dishes or things on the table in front of you.

6. DreekLass

DreekLassWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I think that many people have lost their credit card at least once. I definitely have. Or at least my mother lost it. I had given it to her because she was going out, and she was going to be passing a free cashpoint?ATM, on her way. I requested that she use it to withdraw some money for me, and she lost it. I was fretting because over here you need photo ID to be able to get a new card from your bank, and I don't have photo ID.

7. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I haven't lost my credit card, but I've lost my debit card twice and had to call and cancel it. One of those times, I found the debit card hiding behind a piece of furniture when I moved it to sweep behind it. On an unrelated note, I was recently a little too enthusiastic when cutting up a credit card that I closed and I accidentally cut myself. :eek:

8. Dora M

Dora MWell-Known Member

Threads:
    When I traveled in Papua New Guinea a couple of years ago, my friend and I got attacked by thieves. They hit my friend on the head and got away with our bags. While still in hospital and getting medical attention, I called my bank in Australia trying to cancel my stolen credit card. The bank assistant told me that the cancellation would be effective immediately. But can you imagine my shock and horror when a few days later I saw that over $8000 were missing from my account? It turned out that the assistant had made some unbelievable mistake, and the thieves got away with the cash. Luckily, after some major trouble, lots of worries and many phone calls, the entire sum was later refunded by the bank.

9. DreekLass

Threads:
    Lol. Once I had cancelled my lost card and managed to flirt my way into getting a new one down at the bank, we ended up finding my old card in the clothes basket -_- I was certain that we had all serched the house high and low previously. But we couldn't find it. Until it was cancelled and a new one was on the way.

10. deathbyprayer

deathbyprayerActive Member

Threads:
    I haven't but I did lose one of my debit cards. But lucky for me that card was completely useless and it has zero balance so I let it go. I'm pretty careful wit my stuff especially involving money and cards because if I lose my wallet I'm pretty much homeless.

11. DreekLass

Threads:
    If I ever lose a card, I give it some time in the hopes that I will find it - whilst checking the balance online. If I don't or cannot find it after that assigned time, then I call in and have my card cancelled. People are too crafty these days, and will drain your account of every penny.

12. mariee

marieeActive Member

Threads:
    No but I lost my debit card once and immediately called my bank to cancel it. I was scared that it might fall in the wrong hands. I got a new card and then a few months later I found mine. So it was never in danger just misplaced. I can imagine it would be worse with a credit card, because at least in my case my line of credit is larger than what I usually keep in my debit card.

13. gmckee1985

gmckee1985Active Member

Threads:
    Yes, I have and it was pretty terrifying at first. Luckily I was able to call the credit card company and have them cancel the card and send me a new one. It was a lot easier than I thought it would be and luckily there were no fraudulent charges made on the card. Saved me a whole lot of trouble.

14. kbroder9

kbroder9Member

Threads:
    It is a little scary, but honestly, so much better than losing a wallet or some cash. You have fraud protection for a reason (even if you're not sure you have it, the companies are constantly monitoring and looking for odd activity) and I've generally had them alert me something was wrong before I knew it. If there are fraudulent charges or you dropped it and someone made charges the same day that wasn't you, alert them once you know, list all the charges that aren't yours, and they'll refund you and take care of it. Just be vigilant about checking your accounts and always be truthful!

15. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I guess that losing a credit card is scarier than losing a debit card because thieves can just swipe a credit card without knowing the PIN.
    I wonder why credit cards don't have PIN numbers. It would make them harder to use fraudulently.