Ever tried a DIY hair bun?

Discussion in Health & Beauty started by Theo • Oct 4, 2014.

1. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I've seen them in the shops and on television, kits with donuts and long bits of foam that help you do your own bun. There's even a sock bun where you use an old sock as the 'donut.'

Has anyone tried anyone them and do they work? Do they stay up and are they easy to use or only if you have fine hair?

I'm just not convinced it can be that easy and that it will collapse in the middle of the day or when I'm out. That's my greatest fear and being stranded with half a hair do and not being able to fix it.

2. DancingLady

DancingLadyActive Member

Threads:
    I was given a Hot Buns box, tried it once and threw it away. It had Velcro on the role and it made a huge rat in my hair that took about 15 minutes to get that stupid thing out and it hadn't even looked nice when I got it rolled up. I have used one that is plastic only and looks like an oval with hooks on the end, that one worked well and didn't tangle.

3. lrd913

lrd913Active Member

Threads:
    Oh god, I tried Hot Buns too. It was horrible. When I got my hair rolled up into it, the product didn't keep my hair up. I pulled the cord and it made it look even worse. The Velcro kept getting my hair caught in it. Worst experience ever. I even used the smaller one that was in the box, it didn't make a difference.

I'm fairly certain that it was on clearance because of these exact reasons. I couldn't even get my money back since it was a "final sale" item. It's still around here somewhere, I wouldn't wish that product on my anyone.

I have a a DIY bun item from Conair that actually worked really well. It's covered in a soft material (no Velcro!) and you pull your hair through it and then roll it, bend, and snap it. It keeps my hair up and off my face. Too bad the Hot Buns didn't work. I'll have to look for it and post a picture. It has been the best for DIY sock buns so far.

4. forextraspecialstuff

forextraspecialstuffActive Member

Threads:
    I have seen this on other women and thought it looked great. I have never done it because I am afraid my hair is too light, not long enough or somehow just won't cover it and I will look silly. I think this is definitely an eye catching style and not for me.

5. Sweetkymom

SweetkymomActive Member

Threads:
    I have tried the homemade bun to no avail for my hair. It never turns out. I refuse to buy the box bun kit because I'm
    To cheap to buy something that's not had a positive review that I've seen.

6. kwriter93

kwriter93Member

Threads:
    As a hairstylist, I've tried nearly every bun that ever existed. The only one I haven't tried is the Hot Buns product. I saw the ad on TV and thought about it but didn't get it since I could do them already on my own. I'm actually glad I didn't buy it after reading what you guys have said about it, that sounds painful! What works best and easiest is the sock bun. There is an exception to it though. My hair is fine, medium-thin and medium-long.

My hair did actually do better in the sock bun than what I thought, but the main problem is that my hair wasn't coarse enough to really form around the sock firmly and my hair wasn't thick enough to cover the sock completely. This sounds so silly, but use a sock that's near the color of your hair. If you have brunette hair, use a brown sock. If you have blonde hair use a beige sock. Do this for every hair color, because despite the fact that you think your hair will be unable to part in certain areas it will unless it's extremely thick. With a color-coordinated hair sock (I laughed at myself saying that), it actually looks decent and if it does part just a little, no one will really notice unless they are right up on your hair.