Ever Tried To Make Your Own Tortillas?

Discussion in Food & Drink started by ohiotom76 • Oct 29, 2014.

1. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I have been watching some demo videos of tortilla presses lately - some just press the dough out while others have heating elements in them to actually cook the tortilla's too. One even makes flat breads as well. Although tortillas are relatively cheap at the store - anywhere from 99 cents to $2 a pack, I've been contemplating if I would be better off making them on my own, just so I could have fresher tortillas, and perhaps only make them when I want them instead of worrying about a pack of them going bad before I use them up. Plus the corn tortillas I get in the store are always way too dried out and crumble apart.

Have any of you used these devices and/or made them yourself? Was the quality better? Was it worth the hassle?

2. pennylane

pennylaneActive Member

Threads:
    I don't usually make tortillas because they are so cheap to buy. There is nothing like home made fresh tortillas, though. They are delicious. If I get a craving for them I'll go to a restaurant that makes them fresh. Every once in a while I'll make them at home if I have time.

3. Dora M

Dora MWell-Known Member

Threads:
    It sounds like a really good idea. Here, In Latin America, where I currently live and work, it is common to make tortillas at home. They look and smell absolutely delicious, but unfortunately I can't tolerate corn very well, so I have to give them a miss. :(

4. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    It seems like a great idea, but they are very cheap to buy and as I don't eat them that often right now it's now worth it for me to make them. I prefer them during summer as a wrap.

I would like to try it though as I like more wholemeal ones and I like bigger tortillas so if you can make them to how you like they can be more versatile.