Ever wait to purchase something until it's on sale?

Discussion in Stores Reviews, Comments & Complaints started by kate23 • Mar 4, 2014.

1. kate23

kate23Active Member

Threads:
    I tend to do that, like for instance I'll wait until the summer sales and then buy a bunch of summer clothes. I found an excellent sale at Bells, it was in the fall when they were getting rid of their summer clothing, and I found great shorts for only $2! They were actually thirty some dollars when not on sale so that saved a lot. I bought 4 or 5 pairs of shorts and then several other clothes, lol, I love sales!

2. CSomm

CSommMember

Threads:
    I never wait for anything to be on sale, because I only shop specifically for things that already have a sale sign at the store or online. I don't consider things that are full price---there are so many products on the market right now, I only want ones that manufacturers provide incentive for me to purchase!

3. firestarian

firestarianMember

Threads:
    I wait for my items to hit a decent sale before purchasing. For example I bought Far Cry 3 when it was on sale 2 months ago for $15, thought that was a great deal. Yesterday it was on sale for $5, so I feel kind of silly.

4. caseyfacey

caseyfaceyActive Member

Threads:
    I don't know if there's ever been anything that I've bought that I couldn't already get on sale. I haven't really bought anything so specific that I couldn't already purchase it at a reduced price. With clothes, for example, I already head straight for the sales or clearance rack anyway. I can understand someone waiting, however, on things like electronics. A lot of people don't purchase things, for instance, if Black Friday is coming up and they know they are going to be buying a new TV anyway. In that case, I can totally understand.

5. DankAllen

DankAllenBanned

Threads:
    I love to find great deals on the internet. I always put the items that I want to purchase on a list and check the sites that I can get them for cheap. I recently got some good deals on 6pm.com.

6. alahnna

alahnnaMember

Threads:
    I love getting a great bargain so I do tend to wait until things are on sale to buy them. I will avoid paying full price at any cost. However, sometimes we run out of things and we just have to buy it. I do try to buy my fruits and veggies by the seasons since certain ones are cheaper depending if they are in season or not. Like right now, I refuse to buy a watermelon when the price tag says $11.99 but come summer time, we will buy watermelon once a week when it goes on sale for $3.99 and the kids will devour it.

I also try to keep myself in the know about where things tend to be on sale. For example, we have a small store down the road from us that always has meat on sale since they can get it whole sale. So I will usually get most of my meat from there and freeze it then I won't buy that same meat again until if goes on sale again then I stock up again. I also know which places mark down the day old loaves of bread, cookies, cakes, pies, etc to 50% off. I'll freeze those as well.

7. wander_n_wonder

wander_n_wonderActive Member

Threads:
    Yes, this is my habit now, especially when I think the item is a bit overpriced. However, there have been several instances in which I regret doing this, especially when the product suddenly becomes unavailable and did not really become on sale.

My observation here is that if the item is really in demand, there is a very low likelihood that it will ever be on sale. Therefore, if you really like it, it may not be a good idea to wait for it til it's on sale.

8. pahagwl

pahagwlActive Member

Threads:
    Yeah, I generally try to wait for the sale season whenever I have to buy clothes. This is due to the reason that prices of apparel get slashed greatly whenever the discount season comes. So, I generally try to take advantage of that. Over the years, I have been able to score great deals in terms of clothing merchandise.

9. erikao1o

erikao1oMember

Threads:
    I've never really waited to buy something until it was on sale. I'm the type of person that when I see something I really like, I like to buy it right away. I worry that the thing I want might go out of stock, or if it's clothing that they might run out of my size. Sometimes I go to more expensive clothing stores, and I only look at the sale sections. I would never wait for a dress that I really loved to go on sale though, I say that if you really love it, you should buy it!

10. cookiemonsterv16

cookiemonsterv16Member

Threads:
    I guess it depends on how bad I want the item and the quantity that is left. For example, my mom wanted to purchase a video game for my little brother, but because it had just been released the price was too expensive so she decided to wait in hopes the price would eventually go down. So after a few months or more we ended up seeing it at a store and it went from I believe it was $49 to $6 so we definitely decided to get it that day and it was worth the wait.

11. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    Definitely!

I don't necessarily think "oh, I'm going to wait until this goes on sale and then I'll buy it." Instead, I just won't buy something that I don't need and then later on, I'll notice it's on sale and want to buy it at that point because the price is better. There are times of the year where I'll specifically look for things that I know will be on sale, too. Like toward the beginning of Spring is when I'll look for Fall boots since they're often on clearance. It means I may miss out entirely, however, because they could all be sold out or not have my size or style, etc.

12. isabbbela

isabbbelaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Yes, when it comes to bath products, stuff from Bath&Body Works and Victoria's Secret, I always wait for the big sales to buy them. Then I get a bunch of stuff! There is no point in paying over 10 dollars in one item when it's 3 or 4 dollars when it's on sale. And the sales happen enough times in a year that I can wait to buy those things! I do that with Victoria's Secret underwear as well, I wait until they are on sale and get a bunch of stuff.

13. lavenderblue

lavenderblueMember

Threads:
    I always wait till more expensive items are on sale, and even when it comes to cheap items I would usually keep an eye out for sales/sale prices. I don't like paying retail prices for things, especially since it's usually not 100% necessary. There are so many resources now for finding the best deals (this site for example :)) that it has become a policy to wait for those sales. If I had extra money to burn I would want to buy the movies, books, and games or niche items I like on their release date to show support though.

14. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    It depends on if it is an item I need or want. If I need that item and have not gotten it because the price has been to high I will look for a sale and get the item if it is on sale and budget for the high price if I can. If the item is a want not a need and it goes on sale at a very good price I will get it, but it must be something I know I will use not just sit in my closet or a draw.

15. justusforus

justusforusActive Member

Threads:
    I think if it can wait, surely waiting for a sale is the best way to buy anything. I do look for year end sales for example on summer items and since I can store them I have gotten some incredible values. From garden hoses to park benches, you can save a lot of money.

16. Esperahol

EsperaholActive Member

Threads:
    It's a factor of need versus want - if I need something then I'll find the cheapest edition I can get and just suck it up. If I only want something then I'll wait until the heat death of the universe to get it for as cheap as possible.

17. Mafdet

MafdetMember

Threads:
    I do that all the time. I always keep a close eye to the catalogs and whenever I see a product that I like offered for less, I'm on my way to the shop. there are also all sorts of online promotions. Especially for books. And I always try to get the best deal there is.