Ewg's Skin Deep Cosmetics Database

Discussion in Health & Beauty started by SweetMamaKaty • Feb 6, 2015.

1. SweetMamaKaty

SweetMamaKatyActive Member

Threads:
    Do you ever wonder if your shampoo, body wash or makeup are safe to use? Parents with little ones will often take the time to research a product before using it on their precious first-born, but we really should do that for all members of the family.

There's a website that can do it for you easily, Environmental Working Group, or

. They have assigned a safety rating from 0-10 for Overall Hazard, with 0 being the safest and 10 the most dangerous, in the following areas:

Cancer
    Developmental and Reproductive Toxicity
    Allergies and Immunotoxicity
    Use Restrictions

The numbers are also color coded, with 0-2 in green, 3-6 in yellow, and 7-10 in red to really drive home the point. They cover almost any product imaginable that comes in contact with your skin, with categories for:

Sun
    Makeup
    Skin Care
    Hair
    Nails
    Fragrance
    Babies & Moms
    Oral Care
    Men's
    You can search for items on their website,

and research new products you may like to buy. However, the search engine is a little picky about exactly what words you use to search, so it may take a bit to get the hang of searching on the site.

After learning my body wash was a 4, I wanted to find an alternative with a lower rating. But I forgot until I was already at the store. I grabbed a more natural looking brand, hoping for the best, and checked it at home. I'm happy to learn it's a 3, so a little improvement.

What I should have done though was download the app, available for

and

. Then I could have scanned a few bar codes right there in the store! I see there are many reviewers commenting that the scan feature doesn't work all the time though, so I hope the developers roll out an update soon.

Something interesting I noticed while researching OPI nail products is that the darker the color, the higher the number. I also found it interesting that there can be products at both ends of the spectrum within the same brand. So it's important to check each item and not just assume it's safe because a similar item by the same company got a good rating.

I hope this helps you as you're shopping for your personal care products!

Attached Files: