EWWW Old Navy is so, so cheap!

Discussion in Stores Reviews, Comments & Complaints started by bellamamma • Jul 8, 2012.

1. bellamamma

bellamammaNew Member

Threads:
    Anyone else notice how cheap and non-quality Old Navy's clothes are, now? I used to absolutely love Old Navy! I remember when they were new and you could only get their clothes in their outlet stores and you had to take a special trip. Oh, anybody that was 'cool (lol)' was wearing Old Navy fleeces, overalls (lol), and jeans. The clothes were so nice and high quality. You could wash them over and over again without falling apart. In fact, I still have 2 Old Navy fleeces. I wore them all the time, they were so warm and soft. Anyways, they started building stores everywhere. First you had to drive 25 miles away to find a store. Then you only had to drive 15 miles away. Now you can find a store 5 miles away from your home. Usually that is great, but not if the clothes are junk! I bought clothes there every single year during their expansion period. I noticed the clothes were getting flimsier and cheaper every single year, but it was okay because their prices were cheap and the clothes lasted the whole season. I stopped going there 3 summers ago because the kids weren't into Old Navy anymore, not because of the quality. Recently I had to go to an electronic store next to our local Old Navy, so I decided to stop in a buy a dress. I ended up also buying some boys t-shirts, flip flops, and some little girls under garments. They fell apart the second wash!!!! The only thing that didn't start to fall apart was a boys t-shirt. The flip flops broke after a 2 weeks (the part between the two toes popped out!), the little girl under garments now has threads falling apart everywhere, my dress faded so badly it now looks like it's gray and not blue, and the rest of the boy's t-shirts are just junky looking. I am so so angry. I first noticed the quality when I was shopping for them in the store, but I decided to buy anyways because the clothes had always lasted the season. Now they only last 2 weeks???? Uh uh, no way, not acceptable!

2. bargainbabe

bargainbabeActive Member

Threads:
    Old Navy is definitely a "line" of cheap clothes. I would never recommend. Basically it's factory cut outs made of the cheapest material ever. The clothes are shapeless and don't even fit. I can't really think of any reason to go in there, except if you need a cheap pair of flip flops for the pool.

3. Sugarhill

SugarhillActive Member

Threads:
    Wow, I've never had any issues with the clothes that I've bought from Old Navy. At the same time, I am particular about the clothes that I choose from Old Navy. I can tell in the store the quality and the chances of how they will react from washing or dry cleaning. Most of the clothes that I've gotten out of Old Navy are of the same quality that I would get out of the Gap. I think with every store, you have to pick and choose the items that you are buying with some care.

4. j_pin

j_pinActive Member

Threads:
    Yes, their clothes are ultra cheap. I don't care for them at all and never had. Almost none of their clothes look good either, I think they look cheap and dated, but that's just my opinion. I guess the good news it's that they actually are cheap, it won't cost you very much at all.

5. suzeysplace

suzeysplaceNew Member

Threads:
    I would have to agree that I have noticed a decline in the quality of clothing offered by Old Navy. We use to shop there quite often, but the last few purchases I have made were quite disappointing. When we first began shopping Old Navy when my kids were teenagers, it seemed the clothing was much better quality and a lot more durable than they are now.

6. Isabellas2007

Isabellas2007Active Member

Threads:
    I have notices this as well. I am like you because I used to buy this brand as well. Now I would rather shop at Kohls for all of my clothing.

7. Anna T

Anna TMember

Threads:
    I have also noticed the same thing. The last few outfits I bought for my kids from there did not hold up very well at all. I am not sure what's going on, their clothes used to be of such good quality!

8. saizo6

saizo6Active Member

Threads:
    I don't shop at Old Navy much since the clothes there is not really my style. However, I bought some zipped-up hoodies from there a few years back and they are still in great condition even after many washes. But since so many people are mentioning the decline in quality there I'm going to have to be more picky if I do go in there.

9. novasparker

novasparkerActive Member

Threads:
    I haven't been to an Old Navy store in quite some time, but I have noticed a cheaper quality in many "name brand" stores lately. My daughter likes to shop at Aeropostale...their t shirts are increibly thin. This was the same thing we ran across at Steve and Barry's as well as the Gap...not sure what's going on, other than stores outsourcing to cheaper factories in order to boost profits.

10. tulosai

tulosaiActive Member

Threads:
    The one thing I will say in their defense is that their jeans still hold up nicely and fit great. As for the rest I agree it's really gone downhill. The quality is lacking and I don't like the styles- I agree with the above comment that they're terribly dated. I do still by flip flops there though they are low quality because they generally last the season and I don't need more than that from flip flops. I will also say their customer service tends to be good, but that's useless when the clothes are crap.

11. alid1

alid1New Member

Threads:
    I don't shop at old navy. I don't shop there, because their advertised clothing sucks! I'm glad to hear from everyone, that I'm not missing anything. That is too bad to hear the quality is so terrible. I love a good deal, but I'd rather pay more money for something that will last a long time. One day I may go in there to get some flip flops, however I don't plan on going there anytime soon.

12. sandooch

sandoochActive Member

Threads:
    I, too, used to regularly shop at Old Navy, but I haven't been in there in years. The last time my girls and I shopped there, we did not see one item in the store that we thought was cute or could see ourselves wearing. It's a lot of the same styles repeated over and over again, too.

I hate saying this because it come out sounding ungrateful, but I cringe a bit when me or my girls get an Old Navy gift card as a gift. Talk about a re-gifting item. But I would only re-gift it to someone I know likes to shop there, and even that's getting to be a very short list of people. ;p

13. dala23

dala23New Member

Threads:
    I haven't been to Old Navy in a long time, and now that I saw this thread I remembered why. I purchased this bably blue skirt there last, along with a white tank top. I was excited because they looked really good together. I wore them once and put them in the washing machine, as instructed in both labels. They came out of the washing machine looking so old and worn out, as if I had been wearing them for years. The tank top looked almost ripped in some parts. There wasn't anything wrong with the washing machine/water/detergent as all other clothes were perfectly fine. Their clothes are just terrible quality.

14. Laura

LauraNew Member

Threads:
    Yes, I have noticed that. But it's unfortunately not only with that brand.

Nowadays it seems like it's abusing to hope that you will wear your clothes more than 5 weeks. Same thing with the shoes. I had to have the heels repaired after wearing it ONCE. It was a pair of expensive shoes more than 100$ from a good brand. I went back to complain and she explained to me that now it's like that, you need to pay to reinforce the heel when you buy a new pair of shoes if you want it to last. I was speechless.

In that case I'd rather pay for cheap clothes and shoes, at least i know what I pay for

15. Marchese

MarcheseMember

Threads:
    Agreed about the cheap factor of Old Navy. I find that the majority of their clothing only lasts about 1 year. I bought a skirt about 4 months ago and it began to fray and rip within about 2 months of buying it and only wearing it 5 times. It's cost effective at first when you see the cheap prices but then you look at how often you have to replace clothing from there and all of a sudden its not so cost effective anymore.

16. KNH

KNHActive Member

Threads:
    I haven't shopped for clothes at Old Navy in many years, but I still go there to get their flip flops. All kinds of colors for a really low price. I think it is still 2 pairs for $5 or something? I wear flip flops almost every day of the year and though they might be very plain, they are pretty decent shoes.

17. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    It's funny. When I was in junior high/high school, Old Navy was sooo popular. We lived way outside any metropolitan area, so it was a sign of the rich kids to have something from a city a couple hours away. I always thought it was so expensive and "name brand."

When I moved out of the area and finally had access to it myself, I realized how cheap it was, oy. Not only were the prices themselves cheap, but so was the quality. I hope that was a decline of the product and not how it always was, though.

18. Kate0525

Kate0525New Member

Threads:
    I totally agree. Their clothes have become cheap - but they aren't the only ones! I've noticed since business has gotten worse with the economy that a lot of things are made with less quality. I buy Carter's everything for my kids, and as of late have noticed that some items are made with thin, poor quality fabric. ON too has the same problem - thin and cheap. I guess the end game is to layer these clothes - but I see it in things that aren't even made for that. I don't want to poo poo Old Navy b/c I've liked their stuff. It's just the way times have been.

19. laceiron

laceironNew Member

Threads:
    It is pretty sad what has happened to their quality. Honestly, you can get a better t-shirt at Target. But I am a sucker for their $1 flip-flop promotions: they're cheap, they're not supportive, but they're colorful and great for the beach. So while I don't really like Old Navy anymore, I really can't fault them for their flip-flops, lol. :p

20. dconklin

dconklinActive Member

Threads:
    I was never really a big Old Navy fan. There were a couple shirts that I did get for the girls, but I don't like the way it smells in our local store and I don't like their selection either. I am not sure about the quality tho because I only got a couple shirts from there.