Exercising too much

Discussion in Health & Beauty started by Peninha • Dec 22, 2014.

1. Peninha

PeninhaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Sadly the common situation is that most of us don't exercise enough, but the opposite also happens. I know people that run too much or ride the bike too much and get all sort of pains and injuries. Have you been there or are you in the category of not exercising enough?

2. Nikkishea21

Nikkishea21Member

Threads:
    Well i would like to take this opportunity to say thumbs up to those energetic, fitness guru type of individuals who over exert themselves exercising! I would like to be in their shoe when it comes on to discipline associated with exercise. I know i should be doing it and the inability to see my toes or me getting tired too easily is a reminder of this, but i just cannot come around to it. I try at times, as i have one of those elliptical machines and i feel so good after, its like i am on a roll and i make promises to myself but to no avail.

I need to seriously take this bull by the horn and get this exercise routine under control.

3. Webene

WebeneMember

Threads:
    It is important to remember that exercise is a stress on the body, just like any emotional stress you may experience. As such, you always hear to limit your stress, and exercise is no exception. Obviously, the predominant view in society right now is to exercise more, but that is because people literally do none. However, those who exercise too much may find problems with energy regulation - feeling tired all the time - and even changing the storage of fat to around the abdominal areas. People who run or do high impact sports in excess may also experience joint pain. For weight lifters, incorrect form may lead to injuries such as joint damage in the long run.

4. NikkiDesrosiers

NikkiDesrosiersActive Member

Threads:
    Quite frankly there si such a thing as exercising too much.I think that you should make it apoint to get enough physical activity to be in shape and healthy - any more than that is dangerous.

5. Mockingbird

MockingbirdActive Member

Threads:
    what exactly is to much? are they doing this for hours at a time? exercise is important, most people should try to exercise a few times a week. i read a report that said after 45 minutes of cardio exercise you have reached your maximization point. What that means is that an hour more will not give you more results. This is where people hurt themselves, they think if one hour is good two is better, it isn't true. i would say bike riding everyday for a short period of time is not bad, Bike riding and weight lifting and running everyday might be a bit over doing it for the average person.

6. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Exercise isn't the problem when it comes to weight.. it's food. Sadly, most people find it easier to torture themselves working out constantly, than to change the way they eat.. hence why they gain weight after a few bites of something sinful or don't lose nearly what they expected when they take on a trainer. It's the food.. not the obsession with working out. If you change the way you eat to as little processed foods as possible, the weight flies off. Move when you can, where you can in ways that you don't feel you're pushing yourself. Have fun! But obsessive working out is an issue. As someone else said, exercise is a stress to the body.. there is such a thing as too much and you won't necessarily look great for it.

7. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I think there are people who are obsessed with exercising and those who don't like to exercise but do because they think they should. I fall into the latter category as I don't really enjoy it, but do it when I have to. I do have friends who are obsessed, who have personal trainers and have to do so many sessions of yoga per week. I have one friend who now does body and muscle competitions and who is at the gym every day. It's too much, but admire their commitment.

8. Dora M

Dora MWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I am quite balanced when it comes to exercising. I like swimming, which doesn't put much strain on my body and yet provides me with all the exercise I need on a daily basis. I also enjoy bike riding. I ride it every day to work and all over town. Sometimes I have aches and pains in my muscles after a hectic day, but they disappear quickly. So, no, I am not exactly someone who over-exercises.

9. 003

003Well-Known Member

Threads:
    Exercising too much is really detrimental to your well-being, physically and mentally. First you might ask, how much is too much. Well, to answer it quickly, it's too much not because you get injured. It's too much even before that. Once that you are already feeling fatigue and that muscle fever, it already calls for a break because those are just signs that you can't ignore that there's something that you must address.

10. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    And there lies the problem. We've all been raised to believe "no pain no gain" because some fool in the 50s decided lack of exercise made people fat.. not true. So when people exercise and exercise hard.. hard enough to cause injury pretty much every time and hard enough to hurt or even breathe like a maniac, they believe they're accomplishing something great. No pain no gain is dangerous and people having the wrong idea about exercise in general is dangerous. Exercise is mandatory for general health in many many ways.. but what most people are doing is a dummied down version of torture. It's not healthy. And I'm not even talking about the hardcore exercisers lol. It's not ALL bad.. but it's not all good either and many are counteracting the point in doing it to begin with.

11. angelicagapit

angelicagapitActive Member

Threads:
    I'm actually a certified wellness coach and I help people with their nutrition and fitness-related goals.

There are lots of different opinions based on whether exercising too much is bad or not. In my experience and based on some prior knowledge I picked up during trainings, your body needs to rest. The truth is that your body has a certain capacity to burn calories. If you're burning more than what you eat, you lose muscle, not the fat. If you exercise constantly, you need to replenish your muscles with lots of food (certainly protein) and lots of rest.

Muscles are fed in the kitchen, toned during workout, and built during sleep. If you're working out and you aren't eating correctly, then your results won't be so good.

12. Thejamal

ThejamalActive Member

Threads:
    I think this topic is one of the more individualized in the world of fitness and excercise. Depending on where you're at in your own fitness level should determine how much and how far you push your workouts. Everyone needs to let their body rest absolutely, but if you're someone who's in monster shape, then you're probably good to be working out 6 days a week for an hour a day. If you're someone who's just getting back into working out after a 3 month lay-off, that working out that much isn't going to be healthy for you. Knowing your own body's limitations is something we should look to find as early on in the workout process as possible.

13. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't really get to exercise enough, and when I do get enough exercise, my legs feel quite sore from all that walking. Come to think of it, it goes both ways, since when I was jogging regularly, my legs felt sore too, but just a little as compared to when I wasn't active at all then I start to walk a lot in the mall.

14. selina

selinaMember

Threads:
    In my point of view if you are doing exercise to make perfect body shape then you should focus on suggested diet. I do 30% exercise and 70% diet as suggested by my gym trainer.

15. Peter Hubinsky

Peter HubinskyNew Member

Threads:
    I just got a bike and started riding quite a bit, and i want to get into quite a bit more actually, and am getting gear for my bike, so I can be prepared to handle any conditions. I plan on making several trips to the city I live near so I can attend an art studio and stuff they have there. I also get into the city and plan on doing volunteer work but have been trying to find a good fit. I plan on using the bike to do things like do food runs to the homeless and other activities to help the community (including cleaning some city areas). I WANT to be one of those who exercises too much lol.

16. LeopardJones

LeopardJonesActive Member

Threads:
    Ha, I can safely say I am not in this boat at the moment. Trying to get back into my routine after an illness. It’s been slow-going, which frustrates my impatient streak.

I have had moments of pushing myself too far, though. It usually means I’ve got some kind of mental thing I’m avoiding, don’t know how to deal with, or both. And while exercise can help that, overexerting myself never does. So now I’ll go to the limit when possible, but not beyond.

17. keytcee

keytceeMember

Threads:
    When you're so determined to lose weight and start a healthier lifestyle, the first thing that would pop up in your mind would be to exercise your hardest to get faster results. But trust me, from experience, this will just burn you out and you'd lose the will and strength to regularly exercise because you've worked too hard and got too tired or got different injuries. You'll equate exercise as something stressful and painful and that shouldn't be the case.

If you think exercising with all your might will do the trick, think again. The food you eat is also a vital thing to take into consideration when you want to lose weight. If you eat healthier and exercise (not excessively) at the same time, results will be faster and you'll be healthier in no time.