Experiences With Online Thrift Shopping

Discussion in Stores Reviews, Comments & Complaints started by tasxx • Aug 6, 2015.

1. tasxx

tasxxMember

Threads:
    Since I recently moved to a different state, I found that the nearest goodwill is right down the street. I am very addicted to thrift shopping because I love the unique pieces that I wouldn't be able to find anywhere else. For me personally, I find it way easier to shop in thrift stores in person because I always manage to get my sizing wrong. I haven't been able to find a foolproof way in which I could find clothes in my size all the time. Anyways, that's not the point of this post.

A few weeks ago, I discovered two online thrift clothing thrift stores - thredUP and Schoola. I was able to get free clothes from them through their referral program which allowed me to get discount codes that would be used towards my shipment. Let me start off by saying that I love Schoola so much. They're having really good 30%-50% off sales and they are offering free shipping WITHOUT A MINIMUM! The website is great and I think I've gotten about $20 worth of free clothes from them. I'm still waiting on my order to come in so I can't say how long their shipping is (I think it's been about a week or so) but all in all I will definitely be shopping from them again. I really recommend their site for anyone to try. ThredUp on the other hand, I find to be a little too expensive for my tastes. Instead of a thrift shop, I would associate their prices to bad sales at Forever 21. I realize that neither site identifies as a "thrift shop" but rather a consignment or a resale store but I still think for used items ThredUp tends to charge way too much. I did manage to find a few cute pieces on their site but I don't really think I'll be revising too often.

What do you guys think about online thrift shopping? Do you have any experiences you'd like to share about either these two sites or any other online thrift stores?

2. Happyflowerlady

HappyflowerladyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have never even heard of an online thrift store; but I will definitely check out the sites that you recommended. The closest that I have found to an online thrift store would be ebay, since many people on there sell used clothing. Sometimes the prices are great, and sometimes, I think that things are greatly overpriced; but it is always a great place to look and see what they have available.
    Goodwill now sells a lot of books through Amazon; so perhaps they also sell other items online.

Mostly, I like to shop at thrift stores in person, too. Not only can you see if the item fits and looks like you thought it would; but also you can closely inspect it for flaws that would not be noticeable just looking at a picture of the item.

3. Ke Gordon

Ke GordonWell-Known Member

Threads:
    @tasxx@tasxx I did not know they had online thrift stores, but there is so much online that it doesn't surprise me. I mean stores like Overstock sell items cheap and I know that other people sell clothing cheaply on sites like ebay and even Craigslist. I would be worried about the condition of the items on an online thrift shop. I go to a church yard sale garage sale on Wednesday when I think of it..and they have some of the most amazing prices, and some of the best clothing...for next to nothing.

#3Aug 6, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 7, 2015
  4. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Goodwill has an online store but it's annoying because you have to bid against other people so the prices of things get driven up far beyond what you would pay in the store. I also think the online store takes away good items that would otherwise be sold in the stores, which is likely why I never find old game consoles at Goodwill like I used to.

5. Diane Lane

Diane LaneWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I've heard of ThredUp, but have never checked it out. I've never heard of Schoola, but it sounds interesting. @tasxx@tasxx can you explain about the referral / discount codes and how they work? I could definitely use some new (to me) clothes, and it would be great to find some great deals with free shipping.

6. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have checked out the Goodwill online store, it is a bidding situation so that turned me off of the site. The other two sites I have not heard of but will check them out as I am always looking for a bargain. I like to shop the local second hand stores to save money ond to get a different look from what everyone else is wearing.

7. tangela

tangelaActive Member

Threads:
    I've only ever looked at ThredUp but never bought anything from it...it's hard to find a good online thrift store without them charging ridiculous prices. I have a thrift store in my area where everything is always 50% off of the marked price and their stuff is pretty good, and honestly I don't think I'll be able to find something like that online. If I'm bored and have money to spare I may go on there to look around and shop around and stuff but not just as an everyday thing.